Author Topic: Report: Senate Republicans Warn McConnell Ahead of Impeachment Trial  (Read 217 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Senate Republicans Warn McConnell Ahead of Impeachment Trial

Hannah Bleau 21 Jan 2021

Senate Republicans are reportedly firing warning shots ahead of the looming impeachment trial for former President Trump, suggesting that they will no longer be able to support Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) as leader if he votes to convict the former president.

McConnell has yet to determine how he will vote in the upcoming Senate impeachment trial, stating in a letter earlier this month that he intends to “listen to the legal arguments when they are presented to the Senate.” His refusal to reveal his leanings and recent determination that Trump and “other powerful people” essentially “provoked” the January 6 mob have appeared to cause a bit of unease among Senate Republicans.

“If he does, I don’t know if he can stay as leader,”  one unnamed senior GOP senator said, according to CNN. The senator apparently told the outlet that “several of his colleagues held similar views and asked not to be named discussing sensitive internal politics.”

Similarly, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) said he would not be able to support McConnell as leader if the Kentucky Republican voted to convict Trump.

“No, no, no, he said, adding, “I don’t even think we should be having a trial.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/01/21/report-senate-republicans-warn-mcconnell-ahead-impeachment-trial/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Re: Report: Senate Republicans Warn McConnell Ahead of Impeachment Trial
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:45 pm »
My take is that the Democrats really don't want this either, it's just red meat for the base.   The Senate Republicans will basically give them an out, to quietly drop it.