Author Topic: State Rep. Kyle Biedermann (R-Fredericksburg) filed House Bill 1238, "constitutional carry"  (Read 187 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
TSRA Email 1/21/2021

This is the first of several emails you will be receiving about what's happening during session.

Today, State Rep. Kyle Biedermann (R-Fredericksburg) filed House Bill 1238, "constitutional carry" legislation allowing persons who are not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm to carry a handgun openly or concealed without a license.

You can view the legislation here:

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/billtext/pdf/HB01238I.pdf#navpanes=0​

TSRA supports Texas joining the 16 other states where permitless carry is the law!

Committees have not yet been appointed in the Texas House. We will notify you when HB 1238 receives a committee referral and is scheduled for a hearing at the Texas Capitol, as well as how you can participate and make your views known on this important topic.

Andi Turner
Legislative Director
TSRA

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Locked & Loaded: Biedermann Files Constitutional Carry Bill

Texas Scorecard By Joshua Pierce January 21, 2021

https://texasscorecard.com/state/locked-loaded-biedermann-files-constitutional-carry-bill/

Biedermann’s “Personal Protection & Safety Act” would allow anyone who can legally possess a firearm to carry it without a special permit.

On Thursday, State Rep. Kyle Biedermann (R–Fredericksburg) filed a bill that would institute constitutional carry throughout Texas.

Titled the “Personal Protection & Safety Act,” House Bill 1238 would allow anyone who can legally possess a firearm to carry it without a special permit.

Biedermann says Second Amendment rights are even more necessary in light of increased safety concerns from Texans, especially in the aftermath of the “defund the police” movement, the uptick of crime in Austin, and the rioting that affected many Texas cities.

“Forcing our citizens to ask the government for permission to exercise this right reduces its status to a privilege, and then making us pay for it adds insult to injury,” said Biedermann.

Biedermann also noted that more than 70 Texas counties have declared themselves “Second Amendment sanctuaries,” and Gov. Greg Abbott has discussed the need for Texas to become a Second Amendment sanctuary state.

Numerous pro-Second Amendment groups have already approved of the bill.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Maybe I should just wait now instead of getting a CHL. I foolishly allowed my Florida CHL expire. Well I think I'll still get the Texas CHL because then I'll be NICS exempt.