Author Topic: New Jobless Claims Spike To 965,000, Economists Expected 800,000  (Read 988 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New Jobless Claims Spike To 965,000, Economists Expected 800,000

Thomas Catenacci
Reporter
January 14, 2021 8:58 AM ET

The number of Americans filing new unemployment claims increased to 965,000 last week as the economy continued to suffer the effects of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, according to the Department of Labor.

The Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) figure released Thursday represented a increase in the number of new jobless claims compared to the week ending Jan. 9, in which there were 787,000 new jobless claims reported. Roughly 18.4 million Americans continue to collect unemployment benefits, according to the BLS report Thursday.

Economists expected Thursday’s jobless claims number to come in around 800,000, The Wall Street Journal reported. New jobless claims fell below 1 million in the first week of August, which was the first time the weekly claims had fallen below 1 million since March.

“It’s not a pretty picture,” Beth Ann Bovino, U.S. chief economist for S&P Global Ratings, told The WSJ. “We’re stuck at a level that’s four times where it should be.”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2021/01/14/new-jobless-claims-spike-above-expectations/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: New Jobless Claims Spike To 965,000, Economists Expected 800,000
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 04:43:57 pm »
A lot behind these numbers is preplanning by business knowing that their future will soom be filled with more taxation, regulations, wage guidelines, and other bureacratic garbage that will be hurting their bottom line.

2 years from now, they'll be begging for Trump.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:45:50 pm »
Of course when the economy start to spiral downward out of control because Sloe Joe plans on shutting us down because of the evil virus and new strains continually being found and doesn't have a clue on the economy, he'll always have Trump to blame....the media will spin that.

No worries .... Sloe Joe will keep printing more money...where that stops no one knows.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 04:48:57 pm »
Shall we place our bets? Unemployment rate of 10%, 15% ... how soon?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 05:00:27 pm »
Shall we place our bets? Unemployment rate of 10%, 15% ... how soon?

I think we will see double digit inflation as well. Welcome to Carter 2.0 and Obama 2.0 -- what could possibly go wrong?

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 02:35:18 pm »
I see/feel double digit inflation now...govt. CPI misses a lot of inflation:

https://chapwoodindex.com

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 02:35:57 pm »
I see/feel double digit inflation now
Agreed. Anyone remember the Carter years?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 02:57:53 pm »

Oh yes.  Back in those days, you didn't need "use by" or "expiration" date on food.  You knew which was older by the price.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 02:58:18 pm »
Not Trump's problem anymore.  Have fun, Joe.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 11:30:15 pm »
Not Trump's problem but you can be damn sure that the dems will be laying it all at Trumps feet..............................because Orange Man is the new Satan and Bogeyman all rolled in to one with no platform left to for him to speak truth and rebuttal.

I ahven't been able to work for close to a decade so I'm not so affected, but my concern is great for my children and their spouses. My wife will probably have increased income because she is a medical biller whose clients are Psychologists and MFT's and their business will be booming with all the stress and pressure ahead.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 11:35:21 pm by GtHawk »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 03:35:50 am »

This jobless claims  report is still on DJT’s watch.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 03:40:30 am »

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 04:39:08 am »

Too, too damn well! I remeber having to stand in a block long gas line with a gas can because I had run out of gas, and don't think a SOB didn't try to roll over me to take my place.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:40:53 am by GtHawk »

Offline DB

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 05:00:50 am »
I think we will see double digit inflation as well. Welcome to Carter 2.0 and Obama 2.0 -- what could possibly go wrong?

Not officially. There's no way that inflation can be allowed to go officially that high. Your food may double in price but the official inflation numbers will not show it. That has already happened over the last 6 years or so.

The fed has put itself in an impossible position. The 20+ trillion dollar national debt would take, in time, 2+ trillion dollars a year to service. That can't be allowed to happen so it will continue with the smoke and mirrors until it can't be contained - and then it will go catastrophic.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 02:10:54 pm »

Let the good times roll....again.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 02:20:12 pm »
Not officially. There's no way that inflation can be allowed to go officially that high. Your food may double in price but the official inflation numbers will not show it. That has already happened over the last 6 years or so.

The fed has put itself in an impossible position. The 20+ trillion dollar national debt would take, in time, 2+ trillion dollars a year to service. That can't be allowed to happen so it will continue with the smoke and mirrors until it can't be contained - and then it will go catastrophic.

The Fed has got to put it's foot down and stop issuing new money.  Force the government to live within its means.  If the government feels compelled to borrow $2 trillion dollars a year, then they should have to compete on an open market for those dollars, perhaps offering interest rates of 25% or more.

One rule of macroeconomics is that interest rates will always be higher than the rate of inflation.  But that rule has been flipped ever since 2009 when the Fed decided to begin funding government excess with the-printing-of-the-money.  We are now entering the Weimar Republic, except instead of French troops occupying the Ruhr, we have are being occupied by a Congress and Deep State who are holding the people hostage.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 09:39:58 pm »
mountaineer wrote:
"Shall we place our bets? Unemployment rate of 10%, 15% ... how soon?"

It will be of no importance.
Those who continue to work will be paid at least $15 per hour (the new minimum wage).
Those who don't have jobs or who refuse to work will be paid the new "guaranteed minimum annual income".
And that doesn't include "reparations payments" to a certain ethnicity...

(Can you not see this coming...?)

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 12:10:50 am »
mountaineer wrote:
"Shall we place our bets? Unemployment rate of 10%, 15% ... how soon?"

It will be of no importance.
Those who continue to work will be paid at least $15 per hour (the new minimum wage).
Those who don't have jobs or who refuse to work will be paid the new "guaranteed minimum annual income".
And that doesn't include "reparations payments" to a certain ethnicity...

(Can you not see this coming...?)

Silly Rabbit!
Haven't you heard the chatter?
They have already started talking about reparising the Native Americans
And they have obviously already been reparising the Hispanics for decades.
And who do they blame for all the evil done to all these poor folk of color?
Why those of the anti color.......... Whites, unless you are a socalist democrat woke apologist.