Author Topic: Troops are sleeping in the Capitol. It’s been a rare sight since the Civil War  (Read 230 times)

rangerrebew

Troops are sleeping in the Capitol. It’s been a rare sight since the Civil War
Marble floors of the Capitol become a makeshift bed for the National Guard

By Chris Cioffi
Posted January 13, 2021 at 3:44pm

Members of the military waking up on the cold marble floors of the Capitol complex Wednesday were likely some of the first to do so in more than 150 years.

“The last time there were troops sleeping in the Capitol itself was during the Civil War,” said Jane L. Campbell, president and CEO of the United States Capitol Historical Society.

A plaque in the Capitol, located next to a bust of President Abraham Lincoln on the first floor where armed guardsmen stretched out, commemorates a time soldiers were quartered in the building “in response to President Lincoln’s call for volunteers.”

The date — April 15, 1861.

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/01/13/troops-are-sleeping-in-the-capitol-its-been-a-rare-sight-since-the-civil-war/

rangerrebew

But when Trump tried to bring the Guard in during the first D.C. riots of 2020. democrats whined pitifully, wrung their hands, gnashed their teeth and claimed bringing troops to D.C. had never been done before.  I was going to say democrats can't history both ways but in America today, but with the capsizing to port of the media, I guess they can. :shrug:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Someone needs to create a graphic comparing the BLM/Antifa riots with cost, and number of Natonal Guard requirements vs. this one at the Capitol.  Good way to show the priority and who and what the democrats really care about.  AND...  how protesters are dealt with unequally. 

Think the BLM terrorist organziation would allow one of their protestor's murderer (sic) to go unidentified for 8 days?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Didn't this happen in the 60's?