Author Topic: Newly sworn-in GOP representative says he may have ended his career by voting to impeach Trump  (Read 414 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Newly sworn-in GOP representative says he may have ended his career by voting to impeach Trump
By Joseph Choi - 01/17/21 10:10 AM EST

First-term Republican Rep. Peter Meijer (Mich.) said on Sunday that he may have ended his political career when he joined nine GOP colleagues in the House in voting to impeach President Trump.

On ABC’s “This Week,” host George Stephanopoulos asked Meijer if he was concerned that he had ended his career by voting to impeach Trump.

“I may very well have,” Meijer responded. “But I think it's also important that we have elected leaders who are not thinking solely about what's in their individual self-interest, not what is going to be politically expedient, but what we actually need for the country.”

Stephanopoulos also asked Meijer if he thought it was time for the Republican Party to move past Trump.

"I think it's time that we acknowledge that what happened on Jan. 6 was a betrayal of what had been accomplished over the past four years, that it was a culmination of a politics that at all too often, you know, fanned flames rather than focusing on building and governing," said Meijer.

"You know, the president brought some necessary energy. He brought some necessary ideas. He shook the tree. He was a change agent. The challenge was that he didn't know when to stop, and he didn't draw a line, and to me, political violence is the line that we must draw," he added.

Meijer said last week that he was buying body armor and changing his routine due to fears of more violence at the Capitol.

Ten Republicans joined Democrats last week in voting to impeach Trump over his role in the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol, making him the only president to be impeached twice. Trump spoke to his supporters at a rally before they stormed the complex, where a joint session of Congress was meeting to certify President-elect Biden's victory.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/534616-freshman-gop-rep-says-he-may-have-ended-his-career-by-voting-to
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline skeeter

“But I think it's also important that we have elected leaders who are not thinking solely about what's in their individual self-interest, not what is going to be politically expedient, but what we actually need for the country.”

Self interest was exactly what this clown had in mind, he just called the wrong play.

Now he’s trying to spin his blown call into a virtue.

Offline Hoodat

Trump has more support in Michigan's 3rd District than does Meijer

Ionia County
--------------
Trump - 20,655
Meijer - 20,256

Barry County
--------------
Trump - 23,471
Meijer - 23,083

Calhoun County
---------------
Trump - 36,221
Meijer - 35,474

Election results show that a number of Democrat voters who voted Democrat down ticket also voted for Trump.  Meijer has betrayed those voters as well.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

Ten Republicans joined Democrats last week in voting to impeach Trump

And what party discipline has resulted?

Is Cheney still in her position?

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This district will probably "go blue" next time.
And the communists won't even have to cheat...

Offline LegalAmerican

“But I think it's also important that we have elected leaders who are not thinking solely about what's in their individual self-interest, not what is going to be politically expedient, but what we actually need for the country.”

Self interest was exactly what this clown had in mind, he just called the wrong play.

Now he’s trying to spin his blown call into a virtue.

:thumbsup:

Offline LegalAmerican

Trump has more support in Michigan's 3rd District than does Meijer

Ionia County
--------------
Trump - 20,655
Meijer - 20,256

Barry County
--------------
Trump - 23,471
Meijer - 23,083

Calhoun County
---------------
Trump - 36,221
Meijer - 35,474

Election results show that a number of Democrat voters who voted Democrat down ticket also voted for Trump.  Meijer has betrayed those voters as well.

No insult is meant to you, but talking about VOTES....when we know about DOMINION MACHINES doing voter fraud is not valid to me.  I do support POTUS TRUMP.