Author Topic: Republicans Have a Choice to Make Post-Trump, They’d Best Choose Wisely  (Read 8211 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans Have a Choice to Make Post-Trump, They’d Best Choose Wisely
By Bonchie | Jan 11, 2021 10:30 PM ET

Sometimes a take so bad comes across the wire that it’s worth using as a jumping off point for a bigger thought. That happened today in the form of an editorial put out by the Washington Examiner. In it, Tiana Lowe explains that Kevin McCarthy should be booted as House minority leader, not to be replaced with a more effective figure that Republican voters can get behind, but to be pave the way for Liz Cheney.

Yes, there are apparently people still out there that believe Liz Cheney represents the future of the party.

more
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2021/01/11/if-you-think-liz-cheney-is-the-future-youve-learned-absolutely-nothing-n308436
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cato potatoe

There is nothing wrong with incorporating the populist, America-first elements.  In fact this will be necessary for building a coalition in the midwest.  Main problem with Trump is a near total absence of discipline or tactfulness.  In the end, his lack of political skills more than offset his appeal to the Reagan Democrats. 

Offline dfwgator

There is nothing wrong with incorporating the populist, America-first elements.  In fact this will be necessary for building a coalition in the midwest.  Main problem with Trump is a near total absence of discipline or tactfulness.  In the end, his lack of political skills more than offset his appeal to the Reagan Democrats.

As they say, "You don't know what you got until it's gone."

Offline andy58-in-nh

If the only choice Republicans have is between a Beltway globalist and a populist with the emotional intelligence of a toddler, they've got big problems.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Mesaclone

The only “incorporating” that’s to be done will involve folks like Cheney/Romney/Bush and others of the establishment ilk being incorporated into a GOP that reflects and fights hard for Trumps MAGA agenda...America first being the mantra. As for political instincts, Trump has more of them than any leader in our lifetime. He does, admittedly lack tact and discipline, but what’s needed is Jacksonian fire, not Bush wimpism. The Cheney/NT folks had best accept that this party will not be conceding itself to the old establishment Repubs...they can still board the Trump train, or just openly go Dem rather than covertly doing so (as they do now).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:39:26 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline dfwgator

If the only choice Republicans have is between a Beltway globalist and a populist with the emotional intelligence of a toddler, they've got big problems.

I'll take the "toddler" thank you very much.

Offline skeeter

Any day of the week.

Twice on Sundays.

Offline andy58-in-nh

I'd prefer a populist who can control his emotions.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

When you find one who has the balls Trump does, let me know.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I'll take someone who won't shit himself and happily smile while sucking on a binkie.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

So you'd ditch Patton because he slapped a soldier?

Offline dfwgator

You may see it differently, I think Trump controls his emotions just fine,  a lot of it is calculated to elicit certain responses.   

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
When you find one who has the balls Trump does, let me know.

Last one (RWR) left politics left office 32 years ago.  That breed of elephant doesn't exist anymore.   Out the door with a kinder, gentler pachyderm.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten

Well stated.

The R establishment needs to be honest that their rank-and-file have given them a failing grade and demand more assertive, unapologetic leadership toward a working-class, main-street America-First platform.  If R voters can't trust R officials to stand up for R voters, how can R voters trust those R officials to stand up for the country?

The R rank-and-file needs to be honest that a political leader's temperament is the first thing people see and the thing that most conditions people's assessment of that leader.  We might like someone who behaves like an ass, but that doesn't mean the country at large will confirm our choice.

Trump alone deserves credit for putting illegal immigration, middle-class job loss due to globalization, and strangling regulatory bureaucracy front-and-center; this added millions to the R voting rolls, unleashed a tremendous economic boom, and kept US military people out of additional never-ending campaigns.  Trump alone deserves blame for allowing his narcissism and ego to alienate large numbers of people on both sides of the aisle and to eclipse his administration's accomplishments; this mobilized the largest and most intense resistance in history against him, and against us.

The R party needs leaders who carry forward without apology the issues Trump advocated, and who can communicate clearly and behave like adults who care about more than their own ego.
James 1:20

Offline skeeter

You may see it differently, I think Trump controls his emotions just fine,  a lot of it is calculated to elicit certain responses.

People have GOT to stop swallowing the media narrative.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
People have GOT to stop swallowing the media narrative.

Exactly.  For quite a while now, I assume ALL and EVERYTHING the MSM conveys is a lie....   then work up from there.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline andy58-in-nh

So you'd ditch Patton because he slapped a soldier?

Well...Trump's not a general, and we are not at war.

Patton still got a reprimand from Eisenhower, who reminded him of his duties. Then, properly chastised: he kicked the Nazis' asses.

As President, Trump frequently damaged his own effectiveness by giving in to verbal excess, hyperbole and distortion, and he did so at the slightest provocation.  I think that hurt him, especially with large numbers of suburban and independent voters. Yes, there was cheating by Democrats, but what sank Trump in the end, was his own mouth and Twitterfingers. 

The last thing the GOP needs is a return to domination by Beltway Globalist Lifers who cower in fear of Democrats and get us into stupid, endless wars.  But I truly think we can do better than what we've had.

Offline dfwgator

But I truly think we can do better than what we've had.

Well let me know when someone steps up.  Trump basically is giving up his fortune for this.

Offline cato potatoe

The only “incorporating” that’s to be done will involve folks like Cheney/Romney/Bush and others of the establishment ilk being incorporated into a GOP that reflects and fights hard for Trumps MAGA agenda...America first being the mantra. As for political instincts, Trump has more of them than any leader in our lifetime. He does, admittedly lack tact and discipline, but what’s needed is Jacksonian fire, not Bush wimpism. The Cheney/NT folks had best accept that this party will not be conceding itself to the old establishment Repubs...they can still board the Trump train, or just openly go Dem rather than covertly doing so (as they do now).

Romney, Kasich et al. still represent a critical number of voters in the suburbs.  There just aren't enough right-leaning populists to form a majority.  Any successful nominee will have to make the establishment comfortable enough to tolerate his/her candidacy, and the populists need motivation to turn out.  I don't buy into the apocalyptic predictions we have heard since last week ... but the GOP has a steep hill to climb.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Well let me know when someone steps up.  Trump basically is giving up his fortune for this.

If we have learned anything in the past 4 years, is the deep state has killed any chance of a Joe Q Public ever reaching the presidency again

Offline dfwgator

Romney, Kasich et al. still represent a critical number of voters in the suburbs.  There just aren't enough right-leaning populists to form a majority.  Any successful nominee will have to make the establishment comfortable enough to tolerate his/her candidacy, and the populists need motivation to turn out.  I don't buy into the apocalyptic predictions we have heard since last week ... but the GOP has a steep hill to climb.
What's the point then,  they are no better than Democrats.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

???

Dim DHS are already trying to label Hawley and Cruz terrorist, and add them to the No Fly List.  We just had the entire head of ABC News say there needs to be "Idelogical Cleansing" of the right. Another widley followed left wing pundit, is clamoring for deprograming of Trump supporters.

You can put your big ostrich head in the sand.  Others of us are watching a little closer.

Offline cato potatoe

???

Dim DHS are already trying to label Hawley and Cruz terrorist, and add them to the No Fly List.  We just had the entire head of ABC News say there needs to be "Idelogical Cleansing" of the right. Another widley followed left wing pundit, is clamoring for deprograming of Trump supporters.

You can put your big ostrich head in the sand.  Others of us are watching a little closer.

Sounds like a major overstep, for which the left will be punished.  Otherwise we all need to consider emigration.  I am confident last week's events are going to fade from the news cycle.  There will be another set of BLM riots, or some insane controversy du jour to reset our perspective. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Sounds like a major overstep, for which the left will be punished.  Otherwise we all need to consider emigration.  I am confident last week's events are going to fade from the news cycle.  There will be another set of BLM riots, or some insane controversy du jour to reset our perspective.

Thanks..  thoughtful response.  One question though...  When was the last time someone from the left was punished for anything.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Glad to see not everyone here has drank the kool-aid. QFT
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....