Author Topic: Progressives Who Desperately Want to Censor Parler Just Got Some Bad News  (Read 1308 times)

BassWrangler

Re: Progressives Who Desperately Want to Censor Parler Just Got Some Bad News
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 07:28:47 pm »
I took over sysadmin from another old fashioned sysadmin who didn't have out of band management and most of his servers were bare metal (unvirtualized). He was kind of a moron, but I still have to physically go into the office when there's an issue as our process to upgrade server is still slow.

well, many of us have experienced the occasional “server under the desk”. COVID pretty much stamped that out for me. Everything I use now is either hosted in Azure or in a private lab with remote console and power. I had to go in once since COVID to set up the accelerator hardware in a lab server. Haven’t been back since.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 07:31:21 pm »
TOS is so irrelevant at this point it's not even worth criticizing. The site barely registers on the national conversation.

For this ex-FReeper (with a still-active account), it's been very instructive.  I learned how NOT to Moderate a Forum  there.  :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

BassWrangler

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:13 pm »
For this ex-FReeper (with a still-active account), it's been very instructive.  I learned how NOT to Moderate a Forum  there.  :laugh:

I'm actually kind of shocked that ToS even exists anymore. I expected the money to dry up followed by a complete implosion.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 07:43:20 pm »
I'm actually kind of shocked that ToS even exists anymore. I expected the money to dry up followed by a complete implosion.

I drop in once a month or so out of morbid curiosity.  It used to be a center of great conservative discussion.  Even Tony Snow was a member. Now 75% of it is a menagerie of nut jobs who are highly extracted from reality.  Also don't believe their member numbers.  I have asked JR at least 4 times to delete my account, with no luck.  And I am sure I am not the only one.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

BassWrangler

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 07:48:14 pm »
I drop in once a month or so out of morbid curiosity.  It used to be a center of great conservative discussion.  Even Tony Snow was a member. Now 75% of it is a menagerie of nut jobs who are highly extracted from reality.  Also don't believe their member numbers.  I have asked JR at least 4 times to delete my account, with no luck.  And I am sure I am not the only one.

Well, it's the roach hotel of reported membership. Ironic, because I expect that in real terms people are only leaving. I can't see anyone sticking around after they sign up and discover that every post has to be reviewed before it goes live.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 08:01:33 pm »
Parler is not yet back, and gab is slow as molasses when it loads at all.  I would not say this is a very good debut for the new servers. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 08:07:12 pm »
Parler is not yet back, and gab is slow as molasses when it loads at all.  I would not say this is a very good debut for the new servers.

They both just got dumped on with new users... Just before it was axed, Parler was the number one DL on Google Store... Wonder if actual monopoly is being exercised for regular monopoly reasons...  :pondering:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 08:16:36 pm »
They both just got dumped on with new users... Just before it was axed, Parler was the number one DL on Google Store... Wonder if actual monopoly is being exercised for regular monopoly reasons...  :pondering:

Whatever the cause, it looks like amateur hour for both of them.  I hope one or both gets their act together because people need to stop using twitter and facebook.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 08:19:38 pm »
Whatever the cause, it looks like amateur hour for both of them.  I hope one or both gets their act together because people need to stop using twitter and facebook.

Parler will be back in a day or two, and I will bet money it is scaled when it comes... And gab will come around too... They just got to figger out how to get by firehose mode. It will all work out.

Howabout MeWe in all this? Anybody know?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 08:22:05 pm »
Parler will be back in a day or two, and I will bet money it is scaled when it comes... And gab will come around too... They just got to figger out how to get by firehose mode. It will all work out.

You're going to have to have some moderation, or else Leftist provocateurs will poison the site with all kinds of crap.

BassWrangler

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 08:22:11 pm »

The last two days Parler was online, the service was actually pretty good. They fixed the major usability issues with their app too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 08:33:20 pm »
You're going to have to have some moderation, or else Leftist provocateurs will poison the site with all kinds of crap.

Yeah... That's what they do...  :shrug:

Hopefully they won't let sh*t-stirrers stick around too long. That's the problem. It ain't a difference of opinion, it's an inability to suffer a difference of opinion.

I certainly prefer folks that can lay out an argument (you are usually one of those) over those who just throw poo.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 08:35:29 pm »
The last two days Parler was online, the service was actually pretty good. They fixed the major usability issues with their app too.

Well, yeah... on AWS, they were inherently scalable... Getting dumped was dirty pool, sure enough. I hope folks stick around for em.

BassWrangler

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 11:20:24 pm »
Well, yeah... on AWS, they were inherently scalable... Getting dumped was dirty pool, sure enough. I hope folks stick around for em.

@roamer_1

AWS scalability doesn't translate automatically to every application architecture. It is inherently difficult to scale out (as opposed to up) Twitter-type services because of the high cardinality of relationships between entities and the frequence of updates. It's not just like a simple web site with a single relational database back-end.

I believe that the actual last-minute improvements to Parler performance were done by disabling or doing asynchronous updates to the stats that indicate how many replies, likes, and echos each "tweet" had. For example, those last two days, Parler would always show the number of Echos as zero, even though that wasn't the case. Probably they did other things along these lines too.

Not trying to belittle you. It seems like you are an engineer with some good knowledge of the web. But super high scale services are an area that most developers never encounter. Before I landed at Microsoft, I thought I knew a lot about this topic, having authored some high scale (10K transactions per second) services in the financial space. At Microsoft, I eventually took a position managing a development team that had ownership for a significant component of the back-end of the Bing search engine. I wasn't the initial creator of this service, but I inherited it and in the process of improving it learned a great deal about this topic. We had hundreds of thousands of servers. The system was quite complex, but I would consider that an app like Twitter or Parler is more difficult in some many ways (at least has a different set of challenges) due to the cardinality and update frequency characteristics that I mentioned above.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 11:25:53 pm »
Not trying to belittle you. It seems like you are an engineer with some good knowledge of the web.

Nope... My real online experience ended in a flurry of threats - and nearly warrants... So I stay off the big iron and stay with what I can put in my hands.... So I will happily defer to you.

:beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2021, 11:42:17 pm »
Nope... My real online experience ended in a flurry of threats - and nearly warrants... So I stay off the big iron and stay with what I can put in my hands.... So I will happily defer to you.

:beer:

Well, that's scary. I think I've picked a less terrifying post-retirement career.  :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

BassWrangler

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2021, 11:47:05 pm »
Well, that's scary. I think I've picked a less terrifying post-retirement career.  :laugh:

If it's not too personal, what is this? It sounded like you were running for some office?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2021, 11:47:50 pm »

Many years have gone by since then... But it ain't the first time for me... My concept of law and order has always been somewhat elastic. Revenuers and such... I come by it natural.  :whistle:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2021, 11:50:30 pm »
If it's not too personal, what is this? It sounded like you were running for some office?

LOL!! No, no, no... You've got it all wrong. I was running FROM some office, in a manner of speaking. It was a place with lots of blinky things and I wasn't physically there...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 12:05:56 am »
@roamer_1

AWS scalability doesn't translate automatically to every application architecture. It is inherently difficult to scale out (as opposed to up) Twitter-type services because of the high cardinality of relationships between entities and the frequence of updates. It's not just like a simple web site with a single relational database back-end.

I believe that the actual last-minute improvements to Parler performance were done by disabling or doing asynchronous updates to the stats that indicate how many replies, likes, and echos each "tweet" had. For example, those last two days, Parler would always show the number of Echos as zero, even though that wasn't the case. Probably they did other things along these lines too.

Not trying to belittle you. It seems like you are an engineer with some good knowledge of the web. But super high scale services are an area that most developers never encounter. Before I landed at Microsoft, I thought I knew a lot about this topic, having authored some high scale (10K transactions per second) services in the financial space. At Microsoft, I eventually took a position managing a development team that had ownership for a significant component of the back-end of the Bing search engine. I wasn't the initial creator of this service, but I inherited it and in the process of improving it learned a great deal about this topic. We had hundreds of thousands of servers. The system was quite complex, but I would consider that an app like Twitter or Parler is more difficult in some many ways (at least has a different set of challenges) due to the cardinality and update frequency characteristics that I mentioned above.

Yeah sounds like you definitely know your stuff. We have auto-scaling but it's used for large scale computations (SAS, statistical software for clinical trials), different than trying to have a well-performing site for millions of users. Very different. Scaling up (beefier servers, more ram, more cpus) vs. out (spawning more servers) is one of our considerations. I'm tangentally involved in this stuff. Soon to move into it.

BassWrangler

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 12:23:05 am »
Yeah sounds like you definitely know your stuff. We have auto-scaling but it's used for large scale computations (SAS, statistical software for clinical trials), different than trying to have a well-performing site for millions of users. Very different. Scaling up (beefier servers, more ram, more cpus) vs. out (spawning more servers) is one of our considerations. I'm tangentally involved in this stuff. Soon to move into it.

I know in great detail how to build a search engine, but I can only guess what the architecture is at Twitter. There are probably some conference papers about it - I haven't looked.

BassWrangler

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 12:38:29 am »
I know in great detail how to build a search engine, but I can only guess what the architecture is at Twitter. There are probably some conference papers about it - I haven't looked.

Some info here: https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/infrastructure/2017/the-infrastructure-behind-twitter-scale.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 12:56:25 am »

Shhhh!

ETA:  Yes.  I won First Vice Chair of the County GOP. I think I got Kelli Ward's vote, she lives here.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:59:41 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

BassWrangler

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 03:58:49 pm »
Shhhh!

ETA:  Yes.  I won First Vice Chair of the County GOP. I think I got Kelli Ward's vote, she lives here.

Congrats!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.