Author Topic: Progressives Who Desperately Want to Censor Parler Just Got Some Bad News  (Read 1309 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Progressives Who Desperately Want to Censor Parler Just Got Some Bad News
By Jeff Charles | Jan 11, 2021 9:30 PM ET

They tried, and it looks like they may have failed. Social media company Parler, which has been under attack from the far-left for not censoring conservatives, seems to have found a new home after Amazon Web Services decided to stop hosting the company’s site.

The Washington Examiner reported:

On Monday, Parler registered its domain and server to be hosted by Epik, an internet webhosting company known for working with right-leaning websites. Gab, another social media platform popular with conservatives, also uses Epik. A web domain search shows that Parler is now registered with Epik.

Last week, a group of Big Tech companies colluded to destroy Parler, claiming that the platform contributed to the riot that occurred at the U.S. Capitol building on Jan. 6. Google and Apple both removed the social media app from their stores only days before Amazon announced that it was booting the site from its hosting services. The collaboration came amid a widespread purge of conservative accounts on Twitter.

more
https://redstate.com/jeffc/2021/01/11/progressives-who-desperately-want-to-censor-parler-just-got-some-bad-news-n308467?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=onsite&utm_campaign=719
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Parleys are still missing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Good for them. Also, my son tells me Signal is a good secure messenger service.

BassWrangler

Good for them. Also, my son tells me Signal is a good secure messenger service.

it is really awesome. The App on iOS is very well written. When I signed up, I was amazed to discover my son and a couple of friends I was out of contact with were all already on there.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
What prevents the Tech Oligarchs from playing Whack-a-Mole with these platforms too?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Last week, a group of Big Tech companies colluded to destroy Parler, claiming that the platform contributed to the riot that occurred at the U.S. Capitol building on Jan. 6.
====================================================================================

You mean kind of like Twitter did for BLM/Antifa last summer?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
ar15.com is using keybase, end to end encryption. Awesome app.

• Technical
Last week, a group of Big Tech companies colluded to destroy Parler, claiming that the platform contributed to the riot that occurred at the U.S. Capitol building on Jan. 6.
====================================================================================

Yep. Exactly.

BassWrangler

What prevents the Tech Oligarchs from playing Whack-a-Mole with these platforms too?

@catfish1957
Signal really has nothing to do with politics. It’s not a Twitter or FB replacement. It’s goal is to be a secure replacement for text messages.

From what I have read Signal is open source. By being open source, the code is available for anyone who is capable to review. In theory, it will be more secure because the community reviews it to find flaws, and because back doors are harder to conceal.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:06:12 pm by BassWrangler »

BassWrangler

The thing is, Parler had nothing to do with organizing the riot. FaceBook was where people were collaborating, primarily.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Progressives Who Desperately Want to Censor Parler Just Got Some Bad News
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 06:04:17 pm »
Doesn't JimRob host his own site with his own servers? Just asking?
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 06:08:18 pm »
@catfish1957
Signal really has nothing to do with politics. It’s not a Twitter or FB replacement. It’s goal is to be a secure replacement for text messages.

From what I have read Signal is open source. By being open source, the code is available for anyone who is capable to review. In theory, it will be more secure because the community reviews it to find flaws, and because back doors are harder to conceal.

I believe it's actually end to end encryption, meaning that even the app admins cannot see what is being said or posted.

BassWrangler

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 06:25:58 pm »

Unless things have changed, he owns his own server (ONE server), which is housed within a small hosting facility somewhere in California.

BassWrangler

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 06:26:26 pm »
I believe it's actually end to end encryption, meaning that even the app admins cannot see what is being said or posted.

Yes, that's correct.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 06:48:17 pm »
Unless things have changed, he owns his own server (ONE server), which is housed within a small hosting facility somewhere in California.

San Jose, a two hour drive from Fresno every time the servers crashed, requiring a trip by John-boy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 06:53:02 pm »
San Jose, a two hour drive from Fresno every time the servers crashed, requiring a trip by John-boy.

Someone needs to teach him about virtualization or out of band management... or cloud but after these past two weeks maybe not. Both save my fat ass from having to drive to the server room when shit goes awry.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 06:59:28 pm »
Someone needs to teach him about virtualization or out of band management... or cloud but after these past two weeks maybe not. Both save my fat ass from having to drive to the server room when shit goes awry.

Did you have a FR past?  That trip to San Jose  meme, was kind of an ongoing joke that coincided with Freepathons.  You'd think $350K annually for almost 25 years  would buy some semblence of a dependable server wouldn't you?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:14:21 pm by catfish1957 »

BassWrangler

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 07:11:35 pm »

Thanks. I remembered it as being either San Jose or Santa Clara, but I couldn't remember which it was. I do recall those supposed late-night drives to "reboot the server" (which is ludicrous - every decent hosting provider in the universe has at least remote power on/off capability).

BassWrangler

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 07:14:30 pm »
Did you have a FR past?  That trip to Fresno meme, was kind of an ongoing joke that coincided with Freepathons.  You'd think $350K annually for almost 25 years  would buy some semblence of a dependable server wouldn't you?

LOL! I'm imagining the current Bupathons are pulling in around $200 (reported as $88,000 of course).

Better watch out, though. I'm anticipating mods not wanting ToS convo here.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 07:17:26 pm »
LOL! I'm imagining the current Bupathons are pulling in around $200 (reported as $88,000 of course).

ARGHH...

Here it comes for me....  Can they double ban me?

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 07:20:36 pm »
Thanks. I remembered it as being either San Jose or Santa Clara, but I couldn't remember which it was. I do recall those supposed late-night drives to "reboot the server" (which is ludicrous - every decent hosting provider in the universe has at least remote power on/off capability).

I took over sysadmin from another old fashioned sysadmin who didn't have out of band management and most of his servers were bare metal (unvirtualized). He was kind of a moron, but I still have to physically go into the office when there's an issue as our process to upgrade server is still slow.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 07:22:07 pm »

Meh.  It's instructive to contemplate.  I hope you don't get upset about our occasional 'thons here.
I will NOT comply.

BassWrangler

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 07:25:09 pm »
Meh.  It's instructive to contemplate.  I hope you don't get upset about our occasional 'thons here.

I love the thons here. They are over so fast I usually miss them (but one can contribute any time). But, that's because myst uses them to pay for the site hosting, not to provide a salary to her and her family.

BassWrangler

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 07:26:07 pm »
ARGHH...

Here it comes for me....  Can they double ban me?

LOL, love that movie.

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 07:27:42 pm »

TOS is so irrelevant at this point it's not even worth criticizing. The site barely registers on the national conversation.