Author Topic: If the Navy Gets the Next Decade Wrong, It Might Not Recover This Century: CNO  (Read 138 times)

rangerrebew

If the Navy Gets the Next Decade Wrong, It Might Not Recover This Century: CNO

11 Jan 2021
Military.com | By Gina Harkins

The next 10 years will be a critical time of transition for the U.S. Navy, the service's top officer said -- one that leaders must get right to stop China and Russia from controlling the conditions at sea.

Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday on Monday released his vision for the Navy's decade ahead. Citing a long-term competition that "threatens our security and way of life," he said the Navy must ditch platforms it no longer needs to invest in new tools that will be required to deter aggression and preserve freedom of the seas.

"I don't mean to be dramatic, but I feel like, if the Navy loses its head, if we go off course and we take our eyes off those things we need to focus on ... I think we may not be able to recover in this century," Gilday told reporters Friday, ahead of the document's release. "Based on the trajectory that the Chinese are on right now -- and again, I don't mean to be dramatic -- I just sense that this is not a decade that we can afford to lose ground."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/01/11/if-navy-gets-next-decade-wrong-it-might-not-recover-century-cno.html