Author Topic: Investigation of Marine convicted in DC barracks shooting reveals unit history of firearm negligence  (Read 119 times)

rangerrebew

Investigation of Marine convicted in DC barracks shooting reveals unit history of firearm negligence
Philip Athey

At approximately 5 a.m. on New Year’s Day 2019, Lance Cpl. Andrew Johnson had just been relieved from his post.

Being too “lazy” to head to the proper area to clear his pistol, Johnson, standing near another Marine, Lance Cpl. Riley S. Kuznia, pulled his pistol from his holster with his finger on the trigger.

“I reached into the holster, the weapon had to be on Fire, and I didn’t know it. I pulled it out and as I was going like this boom,” Johnson told officers with the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department immediately after the shooting, according to an investigation by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service obtained by Marine Corps Times through a Freedom of Information Act request.

After the shot, Kuznia dropped to the ground. He was pronounced dead at 5:59 a.m., according to the investigation.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2021/01/06/investigation-into-marine-convicted-in-dc-barracks-shooting-reveals-unit-history-of-firearm-negligence/