Author Topic: There could already be a fast-spreading US variant of coronavirus, government warns  (Read 920 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
There could already be a fast-spreading US variant of coronavirus, government warns

The U.S. could already have its own COVID-19 mutation.
By
Alexandra Kelley | Jan. 08, 2021

Story at a glance

CNN obtained reports detailing the possibility of a new COVID-19 variant starting in the U.S.
    More contagious strains of COVID-19 have been reported in the U.K. and South Africa.

Countries like the U.K. and South Africa are reporting new mutations of COVID-19, which are currently spreading across the world, having recently landed in the U.S.

Given the changing nature of viruses, it is possible the U.S. could see — or perhaps even already has — its own variation, according to the White House Coronavirus Task Force.

CNN published reports from the federal government dated Jan. 3 that warn of the chance of a “USA variant” of the coronavirus.

“This fall/winter surge has been at nearly twice the rate of rise of cases as the spring and summer surges. This acceleration suggests there may be a USA variant that has evolved here, in addition to the UK variant that is already spreading in our communities and may be 50% more transmissible,” the documents reportedly said.

White House officials recommended more stringent mitigation measures to halt a potentially more transmissible virus. These include continued usage of face masks in public and rapid vaccinations.

“Without uniform implementation of effective face masking (two or three ply and well-fitting) and strict social distancing, epidemics could quickly worsen as these variants spread and become predominant,” the reports added.

This news comes as the U.S. records its deadliest day, reporting 4,000 deaths in a single day due to COVID-19.

Published on Jan 08, 2021

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/medical-advances/533407-there-could-already-be-a-fast-spreading-us
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

I'll buy that. Totally convincing.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Yawn.  The only virus to be concerned with is about to be sworn into office. 
The rona is a JV virus compared to the mutated human bleep joe.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LadyLiberty

We have already had a more contagious strain in the Houston area, and nobody freaked out about it: 

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/more-contagious-viral-strain-dominates-covid-cases-in-houston-based-study/

Offline libertybele

Yawn.  The only virus to be concerned with is about to be sworn into office. 
The rona is a JV virus compared to the mutated human bleep joe.

They want everyone to get the vaccine but are not certain that it will be effective against this new strain.  Secondly, unlike the flu virus, you can actually get COVID from the vaccine!  Now ... that's a selling point for you right there!  Not only that but it is now being reported that people are having side effects from the vaccine and they are not sure if these side effects will be lifelong.  Gee... yet another selling point!     *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:32:32 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Secondly, unlike the flu virus, you can actually get COVID from the vaccine
That, thankfully, is not true.

mRNA vaccines like this one don't even use the virus itself, unlike most traditional vaccines that rely on either weakened or corrupted viruses. So you can't get COVID from the COVID vaccine, though you can still get it if you're in between the two doses necessary to achieve the maximum effect.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Can I hope all of NYC catches it and dies horribly?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

Can I hope all of NYC catches it and dies horribly?

You might want to include CA also.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

That, thankfully, is not true.

mRNA vaccines like this one don't even use the virus itself, unlike most traditional vaccines that rely on either weakened or corrupted viruses. So you can't get COVID from the COVID vaccine, though you can still get it if you're in between the two doses necessary to achieve the maximum effect.

I stand corrected ... I cannot find the article that I thought had mentioned that. If I run across it again -- I will post -- for now I will rely on your information.

Offline libertybele

Ok -- here is what I found:

How effective is the COVID-19 vaccine?

The 1st dose of the COVID-19 vaccine should give you good protection from coronavirus. But you need to have the 2 doses of the vaccine to give you longer lasting protection.

There is a chance you might still get or spread coronavirus even if you have the vaccine.

This means it is important to:

continue to follow social distancing guidance
    if you can, wear something that covers your nose and mouth in places where it's hard to stay away from other people

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 12:48:58 am by libertybele »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Sorry, but the only virus I believe is surging through America is communism

Online roamer_1

I'll buy that. Totally convincing.

It's certainly NOT because they are mashing flu stats into the mix. It can't be that. No way.

Offline GtHawk

You might want to include CA also.
But what about Oregon, Washington, Colorado, those other special East coast states and all those being flipped not by those Californians who apparently are able to dramatically increase democrats in so many states at once. No the real risk is from the democrats plan to have liberals move from many staes they have safely turned or are on the verge to flip red states, along with the illegals they will open the border to. The other southern border states are already in trouble and when they have those, well.......................

Offline thackney

Coronavirus variants and mutations: The science explained
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55404988

All viruses naturally mutate over time, and Sars-CoV-2 is no exception.

Since the virus was first identified a year ago, thousands of mutations have arisen.

The vast majority of mutations are "passengers" and will have little impact, says Dr Lucy van Dorp, an expert in the evolution of pathogens at University College London.

"They don't change the behaviour of the virus, they are just carried along."

But every once in a while, a virus strikes lucky by mutating in a way that helps it survive and reproduce....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

The 1st dose of the COVID-19 vaccine should give you good protection from coronavirus. But you need to have the 2 doses of the vaccine to give you longer lasting protection.

There is a chance you might still get or spread coronavirus even if you have the vaccine.

True, the vaccine is not 100% effective.  Both are ~95% effective.  That means their is a ~5% chance if exposed to the virus after the vaccine has had a chance to take effect, you could still get infected by the virus.  If you carry the virus, you may spread the virus.

It does not mean the vaccine can give you the virus.  It does not say or imply that.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fourteen of my wife's family in the Rio Grande Valley have all come down with the Covid. They must have gotten it from the New Years parties. Only her father was hospitalized. He is 82 and doing much better. We hear he is to be released tomorrow or the next day.

Offline GtHawk

Fourteen of my wife's family in the Rio Grande Valley have all come down with the Covid. They must have gotten it from the New Years parties. Only her father was hospitalized. He is 82 and doing much better. We hear he is to be released tomorrow or the next day.
Well I'm glad you got some good news, there certainly isn't much of it to around so far this new year.