Author Topic: Multiple tribes protest drilling of 5,000 oil and gas wells in Wyoming  (Read 961 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Multiple tribes protest drilling of 5,000 oil and gas wells in Wyoming

https://trib.com/business/energy/multiple-tribes-protest-drilling-of-5-000-oil-and-gas-wells-in-wyoming/article_e7b1af2c-6c69-5cb6-bd51-b9d45fb0971d.html

A landmark decision delivered by the Trump administration late last month gives five oil and gas companies the green light to forge ahead in drilling 5,000 wells over the next decade in northeastern Wyoming.

Though cheered by state officials and industry groups, leaders of several tribal nations with enduring ties to the land remain concerned the development will compromise air and water quality, violate existing treaty rights and destroy cultural resources. The Oglala Sioux Tribe maintains that U.S. regulators “failed their duty” to uphold federal law and properly consult with tribes, calling the environmental reviews associated with the project “deficient,” according to recent protests.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management issued a final record of decision for the Converse County oil and gas project on Dec. 23. The order followed the BLM’s completion of a roughly seven-year environmental analysis and allows for year-round drilling on federal leases in Converse County.

Not a prayer this will keep going if the Harris/Biden administration has its way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Multiple tribes protest drilling of 5,000 oil and gas wells in Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:07:57 pm »
This won't go anywhere in a state that is dependent upon and very pro oil and gas.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:50:31 pm »
This won't go anywhere in a state that is dependent upon and very pro oil and gas.
Not under a Biden Administration, especially on BLM land. Watch for permit revocation/nonissue and all sorts of the same things that were thrown in the way of keystone XL. Feeder pipelines, and a host of other infrastructure will be denied permits by the Feds, and then they will go after methane emissions and flaring, should there be any.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:16:03 pm »

Nearly half the state is Federal land, over 29 million acres.  It will have an impact.

Federal Land Ownership: Overview and Data
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42346.pdf

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 07:45:48 pm »
Nearly half the state is Federal land, over 29 million acres.  It will have an impact.

Federal Land Ownership: Overview and Data
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42346.pdf
Yes it.  But no one will be drilling in Yellowstone anyway.

This gives me more trauma as it extends way beyond Wyoming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/11/energy-202-what-merrick-garland-attorney-general-means-environment/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:46:38 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 09:18:31 pm »
BLM Wyoming manages more than 42 million acres of fluid mineral estate in Wyoming and Nebraska and administers more than 10 million acres of federal oil and gas leases, the largest area of any state in the nation. In Fiscal Year 2015, Wyoming's federal oil and gas leases yielded 44 million barrels of oil and 1.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, generating over $760 million of revenue for the public.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/energy-and-minerals/oil-and-gas/about/wyoming
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 11:38:35 pm »
Thackney posted:
"BLM Wyoming manages more than 42 million acres of fluid mineral estate in Wyoming and Nebraska and administers more than 10 million acres of federal oil and gas leases, the largest area of any state in the nation. In Fiscal Year 2015, Wyoming's federal oil and gas leases yielded 44 million barrels of oil and 1.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, generating over $760 million of revenue for the public."

Fishrrman slightly-shaky prediction:
Within 2 years, virtually all of this will be shut down, either temporarily shuttered or closed permanently.

BassWrangler

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:42:10 pm »
Did anyone else immediately think of the TV Series, "Yellowstone", when they read this headline?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 03:05:53 am »
This is in the Douglas and Glenrock area, the other side of the State from Yellowstone (which is a National Park, and off limits). These are mostly grasslands, not soaring mountain peaks and tourist drawing scenery. Yes, a tremendous amount of the State is under Bureau of Land Management control. (The other BLM that Black Lives Matter drove off your search page).

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 04:04:15 am »
Thackney posted:
"BLM Wyoming manages more than 42 million acres of fluid mineral estate in Wyoming and Nebraska and administers more than 10 million acres of federal oil and gas leases, the largest area of any state in the nation. In Fiscal Year 2015, Wyoming's federal oil and gas leases yielded 44 million barrels of oil and 1.2 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, generating over $760 million of revenue for the public."

Fishrrman slightly-shaky prediction:
Within 2 years, virtually all of this will be shut down, either temporarily shuttered or closed permanently.
I agree with you.  Not to mention pretty much anything offshore.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 02:19:00 pm »
Well, maybe I'd better hang in there, after all. The Bakken play is mostly on private land, and if the Communists can be kept from "nationalizing" the oil industry (like Venezuela) I may yet get to work on a wellsite again.

C S Lewis