Author Topic: Trump’s legacy: $8 trillion-plus in added debt in one term  (Read 2521 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Trump’s legacy: $8 trillion-plus in added debt in one term
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 03:55:33 pm »
No fault of Trump at all huh...  Gotcha....

We can go all day this way. It simply isn't as you imply, thats all.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 12:16:45 am »
In January, 2017, there was the fortuitous discovery of "nuance."

@FeelNoPain

The day the TEA Party died
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline corbe

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 12:34:57 am »
   Trump rarely mentioned 'Debt' or 'Deficit' during his campaign, that was Cruz.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2021, 12:41:24 am »
The impact of the Chinese virus devastated the economy, even at that Trump has been able to revitalize the economy.  This virus was a means to collapse Trump's booming economy, destroy our Republic and make people dependent on government 'stimulus' checks and increased unemployment benefits.

I see the $8 trillion as the Biden/Chinese/Obama legacy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 12:46:27 am »
   Trump rarely mentioned 'Debt' or 'Deficit' during his campaign, that was Cruz.
I wish Trump had used the bully pulpit to hammer the deficit. It was not a priority of his, that’s true.

But a bully pulpit is the only tool he had. To call the deficit his ‘legacy’ and ignore the systemic reasons we overspend year after year for decades is just silly.

Offline corbe

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 01:33:04 am »
   He sent a Budget to Congress every year, the Pakistani transgender money was in his budget.   /JS
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2021, 01:57:57 am »
Not a DJT hater, but when does come to the control of the deficit, Mr. Trump gets a big fat "F" 

Anyone who says otherwise, see V33's highlighted comments above....   Trump $7T in 4 years vs Obama's $9T in 8. The numbers don't lie.

^This
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline skeeter

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 02:08:13 am »
   He sent a Budget to Congress every year, the Pakistani transgender money was in his budget.   /JS

I'm sure it was. As it would've been if it had been president Cruz sending the budget to congress.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2021, 02:11:04 am »
I'm sure it was. As it would've been if it had been president Cruz sending the budget to congress.

Speculation

Barry Goldwater

Offline skeeter

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 02:15:03 am »
Speculation

Right. Simply because no other president in modern times has been able to force congress to control its spending doesn't mean President Cruz wouldn't have been able to.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2021, 02:30:48 am »
I wish Trump had used the bully pulpit to hammer the deficit. It was not a priority of his, that’s true.

But a bully pulpit is the only tool he had. To call the deficit his ‘legacy’ and ignore the systemic reasons we overspend year after year for decades is just silly.

@corbe
@skeeter

I agree with both of you on Trump's fiscal policy.  He did not run as a deficit hawk, and did not act as one; I do blame him for that.  But the reasons for the annual deficit/total debt are much more complex than what one president does or doesn't do.

Bringing the debt under control will require, in my opinion, the will to shut the Federal government down and leave it shut down until the next election if necessary.  I would like to see an R candidate say that in unmistakably clear terms, but it would likely be a political suicide note, and I would not expect a pragmatist like Trump to write a suicide note.
James 1:20

Offline skeeter

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 02:44:22 am »
@corbe
@skeeter

I agree with both of you on Trump's fiscal policy.  He did not run as a deficit hawk, and did not act as one; I do blame him for that.  But the reasons for the annual deficit/total debt are much more complex than what one president does or doesn't do.

Bringing the debt under control will require, in my opinion, the will to shut the Federal government down and leave it shut down until the next election if necessary.  I would like to see an R candidate say that in unmistakably clear terms, but it would likely be a political suicide note, and I would not expect a pragmatist like Trump to write a suicide note.
Whichever president decides to fight congress to the death on the budget will have to settle on a single term. And after they are gone congress will go right back to spending again.

The process desperately needs changing and, even more importantly, the American people need educating on the eventual catastrophic ramifications of continued deficit spending. Total economic collapse will be a near extinction level event.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2021, 03:01:11 am »
Whichever president decides to fight congress to the death on the budget will have to settle on a single term. And after they are gone congress will go right back to spending again.

The process desperately needs changing and, even more importantly, the American people need educating on the eventual catastrophic ramifications of continued deficit spending. Total economic collapse will be a near extinction level event.

@skeeter I agree.  Fundamentally the problem is not with elected officials, it's with we, the people, who continue to elect them.  So it won't be enough to have a president who's willing to be defeated for re-election; we need a majority of Representatives and Senators who are similarly willing.  But as long as we have a FedGov that spends in the trillions, the power trip enjoyed by the legislators who dole out that money is just too large; it's not within the flaws of the human condition to lay aside that kind of influence.

So at some point I tend to come back to my friend @roamer_1 's position : starve the beast.  Unfortunately we've delegated to that beast the power to compel that we feed it as much as it wants.  The only way to turn this around is to confront and take back that power.  And since we can't trust our elected legislators to represent us effectively on that, I don't have a short-term alternate solution to offer.  The real solution is a much longer term counterattack through the media and education to change how rank-and-file Americans think, and those grounds are completely against us.
James 1:20

Offline skeeter

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 03:21:08 am »
@skeeter I agree.  Fundamentally the problem is not with elected officials, it's with we, the people, who continue to elect them.  So it won't be enough to have a president who's willing to be defeated for re-election; we need a majority of Representatives and Senators who are similarly willing.  But as long as we have a FedGov that spends in the trillions, the power trip enjoyed by the legislators who dole out that money is just too large; it's not within the flaws of the human condition to lay aside that kind of influence.

So at some point I tend to come back to my friend @roamer_1 's position : starve the beast.  Unfortunately we've delegated to that beast the power to compel that we feed it as much as it wants.  The only way to turn this around is to confront and take back that power.  And since we can't trust our elected legislators to represent us effectively on that, I don't have a short-term alternate solution to offer.  The real solution is a much longer term counterattack through the media and education to change how rank-and-file Americans think, and those grounds are completely against us.
The line item veto would be the only way to control spending given the current circumstances, at least we could fairly blame the president for out of control spending.

Unfortunately the SCOTUS has eliminated that route as a possibility. Which may turn out to have been the bullet to the head of this republic.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 03:29:24 am »

Indeed, @HoustonSam , and in bare fact, the ONLY strategy that regains the ballot box and restores proper order is to elect a Congress worthy of its name and that Congress jealous of it's power.

All this carrying on about presidents is an utter waste of time. Presidents are fine and all, but the power lies in the Congress. And believe me, a Congress with Conservatives at the levers of power, jealous of that power, would turn DC upside down like no other thing.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 03:33:13 am »
As long as Turtle and the moderates own the Congressional seats of power and the RNC there ain't a dang thing that will change - And I long ago quit believing the Republicans were capable of making that change, which is why I opted out and began working toward a new party. Let the Republicans go the way of the Whigs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:38:01 am by roamer_1 »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2021, 04:09:03 am »
Who owns this debt?
Do you expect it to be fullly repaid?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Absalom

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 04:35:00 am »
"When Trump was inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2017, the total national debt was nearly $20 trillion, according to the Treasury Department. It has increased over roughly 30% since, nearly $8 trillion, to $27 trillion, as of Monday."  Trump did that in 4 years.
For comparison, President Barack Obama added roughly $9 trillion to the national debt during his eight years in office, according to the Treasury.
Trump spends other people's money.  He also made money by charging the government when he had the SS and other government people at his golf courses and in his hotels.
He is now mad at Melania for her choices redecorating their apartment in his resort in Florida.   He will hate her forever for what she did as he always holds a grudge when he gets angry due to what someone did.
-------------------------------
Victoria 33,
As you're aware, Trump has been unhinged since his toddler days, as his actions and behavior reaffirm, each and every day of his existence.
Yet his core supporters are incapable of seeing reality and criticizing his behavior no
matter how absurd.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:45:36 am by Absalom »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 05:23:19 am »
Don't cry over spilled milk.  Everyone should just pray GA does the right thing on Jan 5 so we can be blessed with McConnell as our firewall against this dastardly out-of-control spending going forward. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:27:14 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 05:27:03 am »
Who owns this debt?
Do you expect it to be fullly repaid?

Full faith and credit...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2021, 05:27:40 am »
Don't cry over spilled milk.  Everyone should just pray GA does the right thing on Jan 5 so we can be blessed with McConnell as our firewall against this dastardly out-of-control spending going forward.    :0001:

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Now that's funny, right there...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2021, 12:07:01 pm »