Author Topic: Bad Idea: The “Use-It-Or-Lose-It” Law for DoD Spending  (Read 239 times)

rangerrebew

Bad Idea: The “Use-It-Or-Lose-It” Law for DoD Spending

December 15, 2020 — The Honorable Robert F. Hale   

Year-end spending sprees. Increased violations of federal financial laws. Bad press for the Department of Defense (DoD). All these unfortunate events stem in part from a law requiring that DoD’s operating funds be spent in the year they are appropriated. Congress can significantly improve the effectiveness of defense spending by changing this “use it or lose it” law.

Specifically, funding for operation and maintenance (O&M) and military personnel (MILPERS) accounts must be spent in the year they are appropriated, or, with rare exceptions, they are no longer available to pay bills and instead revert to the Treasury. (To be technically correct, by “spending,” I am referring to obligating the funds by entering into a contract or by other means.) Accordingly, at the end of each year, most defense organizations take extraordinary steps to spend all funds in these appropriations, resulting in sharp year-end spending spikes. A 2010 study by researchers from Harvard and Stanford showed that, in fiscal years from 2004 to 2009, DoD spending in the final week of the fiscal year soared to more than four times the average weekly level during the rest of the year. The same result occurred in most other federal agencies.

https://defense360.csis.org/bad-idea-the-use-it-or-lose-it-law-for-dod-spending/

rangerrebew

Re: Bad Idea: The “Use-It-Or-Lose-It” Law for DoD Spending
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 11:09:00 am »
In my years aboard an aircraft carrier, it was always interesting to sit around the fantail at night, at the end of the funding period.  All kinds of stuff went over the side so the division dumping it could spend money to keep the budget the same and have extra if the needed something extra.  I remember about 0500 one morning sitting back there and the cooks brought out a box of freshly cooked steaks (it took two guys to haul it back there).  They had to have the steaks off the serving line by 0600 or lose funding.  I told them I would sit there and eat those bad boys until I was gasping to move, and then I would chuck the rest to the sharks.  I probably didn't eat another morsel for three days. 8888forgot

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 11:10:15 am »
This is true of all departments.  Instead they should pay out percentage bonuses to all department heads for any money left over that can be cut from future budgets.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 11:18:07 am »
This is true of all departments.  Instead they should pay out percentage bonuses to all department heads for any money left over that can be cut from future budgets.

I like that idea = a lot! :hands:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 02:08:31 pm »
The August wish list time...get any and all insane "needs" put on the Resource Officer's desk by EOM.

By the end of September, if there was enough $$, we had most of what was on the list...wasteful and in many cases, useless.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.