Author Topic: ‘Intentional attack’ on CO gas lines leaves thousands without heat  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It's tough getting BTUs out of a jenny... use it to run the fan on a GFA or propane furnace, sure... But you need a whoppin jenny to run an electric furnace or electric baseboard outfit. My jenny is something like 8500w (maybe 10,000w), and I can't use 220. no dryer, no stove, and heck even no microwave. It will run the rest of the house just fine.

I figure it should be enough to run a pellet stove.

Offline mikezpen

Democrats control the governorship and both houses of the Colorado legislature.. You think they're looking that hard?

Online roamer_1

How about one of those infrared heaters?

That's a something. I don't have any experience per se, because my riggin has been to survive off-grid in case of catastrophe. in fact, even the jenny is an interim, and not really allowed for till now... This spring I am putting in a failover circuit in the fuse box, and a 220 plug on an exterior wall. Then the jenny just gets plugged in and will run the whole house (sans 220 and nuke). I am gathering batteries too, and solar... All *for* up in the holler, but this place is my test bed. So before too long, I will have rudimentary passive generation and enough power storage to last a while before I need to charge again, even without the solar.

Which means infrared will become feasible.

I DID buy me one of them fancy ones the Amish make, in the cherry-wood cabinet. And I used it here, believe it or not during construction when I was remodeling after purchase... Actually that was rather radical - all the way out to the studs, with plate replacement and floor replacement in about half of it...

It was a mild winter that year... Once I got dried back in I plugged that little IR heater in near the center of the place. It ran balls out all the time, but sealed up good, like the house was, though without any insulation, that little heater kept the place above freezing. And I left it run in December, when we were largely absent - and the electric on the place was about 40 bucks.

I figure four of those would probably heat this place fairly. Say over 50... But they would not be running balls out, so I can't quantify the actual cost of running them, vs BTU. But yeah... that would seem to be an option with the jenny running.

Online roamer_1

I figure it should be enough to run a pellet stove.

Yeah, that's probably right... The problem I have with that is necessary reliance on the jenny... as the pellet stove will not advance pellets if it's control system ain't running... So my preference would be toward a normal wood stove which will run independent of everything.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Democrats control the governorship and both houses of the Colorado legislature.. You think they're looking that hard?

@mikezpen

Hasn't that been true since the 1800's?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

I don't know about three,but the regular heat source and a backup cast iron stove or propane heater at a minimum,as well as very warm clothes.

I hesitate to suggest one room be super-insulated due to the fact some idiots will take it too far and not have a working exhaust system to rid the room of stale air. We all know what happens if there is no system in place to allow fresh air into the room. Granted,it's not much of a problem because most houses are not that air-tight,but it COULD be a problem if someone that doesn't know what they are doing basically seals one room off from the rest of the house,and doesn't allow for fresh air circulation.

If you live in a house with a fireplace and a garage or an outbuilding,it should be easy to just stockpile split wood where it is dry and readily available to feed your fireplace or mo betta,cast iron stove. You could concentrate on heating that one area of the house,and just crawl under plenty of covers when you go to bed,or bed down in a sleeping bag.

Apartment dwellers are screwed,though. About all they can do is get into their cars and drive someplace warm and look for a job.

Make no mistake about it,though. This WAS an act of terrorism,and innocent people will die because of it.

There should be appropriate consequences.

BTW,I haven't heard if they have any suspects or any arrests have been made yet. Are the authorities even looking?

I suggest, too, looking at where in Colorado this occurred. Aspen. Something like that could go in any of a number of different directions from screwing with the commonly wealthier snowbunnies to the generally more liberal population there, of just some nitwits 'saving the well, whatever'. It i summarily stupid, no matter who did it, and it is possible people could die from such tampering. I bet firewood was at a premium. (This happened right around the first of the year, not in the current cold snap).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

So this is old news?  Besides ASPEN COLORADO...don't they use a lot of fire wood to keep warm?  Some leftist,  wanted to save GAS and made people use wood to keep warm?   lol. IDIOT.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So this is old news?  Besides ASPEN COLORADO...don't they use a lot of fire wood to keep warm?  Some leftist,  wanted to save GAS and made people use wood to keep warm?   lol. IDIOT.
They have likely converted a lot of those fireplaces to gas, because wood (although carbon neutral) makes smoke...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis