Author Topic: Posting problems related to spelling?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Posting problems related to spelling?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 07:40:10 pm »
I think it depends on how old your phone is. When I last tried FF on my phone last I was running a Samsung S4 and now what's the latest a S12?

Well, It was too slow on my old J7 SkyPro... A total pig. But I am invested - The necessary evil being sync. I really did not want to introduce something different that I would have to nursemaid otherwise.

So even though it was slow, I used it anyway to get at my bookmarks and to send things to the TV.
Too slow, and then, suddenly it wasn't. It wasn't Chrome, but it was usable. Now they are pretty much the same, though I would say FF still lags a bit on the fetch. Still very usable... And it is my primary on the new A50, though Chrome is still the default.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 09:31:19 pm »
I have never figured out why anyone would want to use their phone to surf the net,when they have a perfectly good computer at home.

Never figured out why people watch movies and tv shows on their cell phones,eitheru
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 10:01:00 pm »
@LegalAmerican

There is an icon you click on to get to the internet,and there is a name on it. Probably "Microsoft Edge". Since you seem to know nothing about browsers,IF your system has Windows 10 as an operating system,and that is the Windows browser.

There is also a possibility you could be using Google Chrome or Firefox,but regardless of which one you use,it has a name you will see when you look at the icon you click on to get to the internet.

IF you have Microsoft Edge and have been using it,go to the search box on your home page and search for "Firefox" and download that. Once you get it loaded,open it and go to your favorite web pages and see if you have the same problem.

I recommend Firefox as a browser over Google Chrome because I don't trust Google. I use it when I have to on my cell phone,but that's the only place,and I never send or receive emails or any important information on my cell phone. I RELUCTANTLY acccept and send an occasional text message on the cell phone,but that's it.

It is not an exaggeration to say I am a little paranoid about security. I carried a Top Secret/Cyrpto clearance for over 5 years in the army,and that's the sort of thing that will make you a little paranoid about security.

Hell,I have a different password for EVERY program I have to sign in on,and this includes different passwords for the two browsers I use.

I even use a different screen name for each site I sign in on. The one exception to this is political sites.  I use the same screen name on every political site I post on so so people who know me on-line will recognize me.

I have a flash drive/memory stick where I keep all my sign-in names and passwords for every single site I have to sign in on. That way I don't have to remember all those random letters,numbers,and other "marks",which would be impossible to do for anyone. Plug the stick in and go down the line alphabetically until I find the name of the web site I want to sign in on,and then copy and paste. Easy-Peasy.

Thank you I will work on it.  I am ALWAYS on the Internet.  I never shut down. I have WI-FI.  My Mac computer has...?
Then a computer in bedroom has windows 10.  That one will allow you to see what the browser is.  On this MAC...I don't know. I don't like google either.  I will try and find, FIRE FOX.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 11:38:46 pm »
Spell checking and auto-correction may be "a feature" of the browser you're using. It can usually be turned off in the preferences.

I don't mind having a spell checker underline possible errors, but what I DON'T want is the auto-correct feature running at all.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 11:43:39 pm »
I have never figured out why anyone would want to use their phone to surf the net,when they have a perfectly good computer at home.

Never figured out why people watch movies and tv shows on their cell phones,eitheru

My younger brother by 4 years...  he has never had an email account and never uses computers.

Since he moved to Maryland this month, I took him to Costco and put him on my Executive Membership account.  Found out when they asked him for his email address before they took his photo for his card.

I'm jealous.    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 01:10:49 am »
My younger brother by 4 years...  he has never had an email account and never uses computers.

Since he moved to Maryland this month, I took him to Costco and put him on my Executive Membership account.  Found out when they asked him for his email address before they took his photo for his card.

I'm jealous.    happy77

@DCPatriot

After having been "on call" for years,I refused to even own a cell phone when they first came out,and usually left my dial phone unplugged unless I wanted to make a call. Then I would make the call,and unplug the damn thing after hanging up.

Life was wonderful this way,with no disturbances.

Until I was up on the roof replacing shingles one day,and when I went to get off the roof,my knees wouldn't bend enough to allow me to get on the ladder.

At that time the hunting club up on the other end of the island didn't even exist. It was just me and the wildlife on the island,along with a few cows.

Soooo,there I sat on that hot roof on that hot summer day,and all I could come up with was to either just lay down and try to let the sun and the heat allow my knees to work again,or to ease up the the edge of the roof and try to lower myself down as far as I could before having to let go and fall,and land on those bent,non-working knees.

Plan 1 seemed like the clever move,so that is what I did,and I eventually got my knees working well enough to climb down the ladder,and once I got down,I didn't even go into the house.  I went straight to my truck and drove to town to buy a cell phone.

After all these years,I finally,reluctantly,started accepting and answering texts. Primarily because I didn't have much choice. Still refuse to do chats,and have no idea how to set up voice mail,and no desire to learn. I bought my cell phone for MY purposes,not to become a slave to any damn fool that wants to send me some voice mail brain fart.

I still turn the damn thing off when I'm driving,and sometimes forget to turn it back on until I want to make a call and can't.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:12:29 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 01:22:57 am »
@DCPatriot

After having been "on call" for years,I refused to even own a cell phone when they first came out,and usually left my dial phone unplugged unless I wanted to make a call. Then I would make the call,and unplug the damn thing after hanging up.

Life was wonderful this way,with no disturbances.

Until I was up on the roof replacing shingles one day,and when I went to get off the roof,my knees wouldn't bend enough to allow me to get on the ladder.

At that time the hunting club up on the other end of the island didn't even exist. It was just me and the wildlife on the island,along with a few cows.

Soooo,there I sat on that hot roof on that hot summer day,and all I could come up with was to either just lay down and try to let the sun and the heat allow my knees to work again,or to ease up the the edge of the roof and try to lower myself down as far as I could before having to let go and fall,and land on those bent,non-working knees.

Plan 1 seemed like the clever move, so that is what I did, and I eventually got my knees working well enough to climb down the ladder, and once I got down, I didn't even go into the house.  I went straight to my truck and drove to town to buy a cell phone.

After all these years, I finally, reluctantly, started accepting and answering texts. Primarily because I didn't have much choice. Still refuse to do chats, and have no idea how to set up voice mail, and no desire to learn. I bought my cell phone for MY purposes, not to become a slave to any damn fool that wants to send me some voice mail brain fart.

I still turn the damn thing off when I'm driving, and sometimes forget to turn it back on until I want to make a call and can't.

@sneakypete

LOL!  Great story!

My 1st cell phone weighed over 10lbs including the battery pack!   I doubt many roofers were using them back then.

Separate pager on my waist.

Late '80's IIRC.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 01:39:35 am »
I was the last in my family to get a cell phone. With 3 kids all in extracurricular activities it was a must to communicate to my kids. I made up a set of pre-made text msgs to send to the kids. It also really helped out being on call 24/7 at NASA. It was a royal pain getting a page during ball practice and having to find a pay-phone to find out what the problem was this time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2020, 01:42:15 am »
@sneakypete

LOL!  Great story!

My 1st cell phone weighed over 10lbs including the battery pack!   I doubt many roofers were using them back then.

Separate pager on my waist.

Late '80's IIRC.

Heh. I been there @DCPatriot ... My first cell was truck mounted... and the pager on my waist ... Then I 'upgraded' to a bag phone.... Man was that great. a 20 pound phone and a 20 pound laptop... Hauling that crap everywhere I go... But I got to get rid of the 5oz pager.  :silly:

It was something there for quite a long while. Had an inverter in the truck to plug in the laptop, phone, and a dot matrix printer (because the bubblejets of the day would freeze over night in the winter).

What a PIA. But I stuck with it all the way along - I could do anything from my van that I could do from my office - And almost the same if I was in the pickup. The final version had an all-in-wonder unit, so I could scan fax and print hard copy right from the truck. And the laptop had a VPN into my office at home... I could literally do everything except blueprint take-offs right there, wherever I was.

Now all that is gone. just a dumass smartphone. Sure would have saved my back a lot of grief if they'd have hurried all that along.
 :beer:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2020, 02:10:32 am »
Heh. I been there @DCPatriot ... My first cell was truck mounted... and the pager on my waist ... Then I 'upgraded' to a bag phone.... Man was that great. a 20 pound phone and a 20 pound laptop... Hauling that crap everywhere I go... But I got to get rid of the 5oz pager.  :silly:

It was something there for quite a long while. Had an inverter in the truck to plug in the laptop, phone, and a dot matrix printer (because the bubblejets of the day would freeze over night in the winter).

What a PIA. But I stuck with it all the way along - I could do anything from my van that I could do from my office - And almost the same if I was in the pickup. The final version had an all-in-wonder unit, so I could scan fax and print hard copy right from the truck. And the laptop had a VPN into my office at home... I could literally do everything except blueprint take-offs right there, wherever I was.

Now all that is gone. just a dumass smartphone. Sure would have saved my back a lot of grief if they'd have hurried all that along.
 :beer:

@roamer_1

We sure have lived "...in interesting times", haven't we?

Tell me something, please?

Is it true that our smart phones have more technology than what sent Apollo missions to the moon and back?   Or is that just Madison Avenue bullshit?

...taking into consideration that the government hold tech that is decades ahead of the public, of course.   :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2020, 02:39:41 am »
@roamer_1

We sure have lived "...in interesting times", haven't we?

That's just a bare fact, @DCPatriot  happy77 I'll tell you what - I still miss that early truck mounted phone. That big honkin' 5watt with an antenna on a plane Gave me coverage way deeper into the woods than I have ever had since... Even though there are way more towers now.

I even thought to get a base unit for an extra 20 bucks a month and put that in the truck. I know those are way more powerful than the cellphones are. But alas, so far, those seem to be assigned to a tower and will not travel, and I have not found a way around that.  :shrug:

Is it true that our smart phones have more technology than what sent Apollo missions to the moon and back?   Or is that just Madison Avenue bullshit?

...taking into consideration that the government hold tech that is decades ahead of the public, of course.   :laugh:

I think that goes without saying. I ain't ever been on much big iron, but the raw computing power - just between the late 80's till now is flat remarkable... even without the massive power going into video... I dare say you could probably find a watch or a handheld calculator with more computing power than a 386sx. And that 386, just with multi-tasking and Windows/NT/OS2 is phenomenally better than the DOS that marked the generation before.

However, I DO believe Moore's Law no longer applies. The advent of smart phone, tablets, and power-sippin notebooks has spread the tech thinner across form factors which has caused the bleeding edge to languish, I think

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2020, 02:35:51 pm »

It's true, even when you factor in the room-sized mainframes of that day, at ground control.  Plus, CPU speeds were a tiny fraction of the speeds we see today.  But, instead of calculating trajectories and stuff, we use all that computing power to yell at each other on the internet, and post cute kitten videos to the world.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2020, 02:46:16 pm »
It's true, even when you factor in the room-sized mainframes of that day, at ground control.  Plus, CPU speeds were a tiny fraction of the speeds we see today.  But, instead of calculating trajectories and stuff, we use all that computing power to yell at each other on the internet, and post cute kitten videos to the world.

Some people NEED to be yelled at...on the internet!      :laugh:    :beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2020, 02:49:07 pm »
Some people NEED to be yelled at...on the internet!      :laugh:    :beer:

:mauslaff:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2021, 11:42:07 pm »
Just got this pm from @sneakypete ..any one else having this problem?

Spelling error update
« Sent to: mystery-ak on: Today at 05:32:00 PM »

Nancy,there is some sort of conflict between your web page and Fire Fox Mozilla.

The spelling errors that seem like dirty keyboard errors are back again,but I can write anything I want to write in "Notepad" and then cut and past it to my reply box,and everything is perfect.

It is NOT my keyboard and it is NOT my software because TBR is the only place this happens.

BTW,please feel free to paste this comment on the TBR page I started if you need feedback from others running firefox.

Arthur
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2021, 11:49:30 pm »
..any one else having this problem?

Nope. Firefox is my primary browser. Nope in Win and Droid.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2021, 11:54:14 pm »
Nope. Firefox is my primary browser. Nope in Win and Droid.

Same here..been using FF here since the beginning...I am at a lost  :shrug:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 12:08:51 am »
One thing you can try is delete the FF you have now and install an older version...but remember and set your settings not to update without permission..

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=old+firefox+downloads
Support the USO

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 03:20:51 am »
One thing you can try is delete the FF you have now and install an older version...but remember and set your settings not to update without permission..

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=old+firefox+downloads

Don't think that will help a dang thing - I am on the latest version and having no issue.  :shrug:

Perhaps a reset of Firefox - but not without first proving it is not happening in Edge or Chrome too - because if it happens in different browsers also, that would indicate an OS problem like a virus or something.