Author Topic: Pennsylvania teacher stays connected with her students while deployed with Guard  (Read 106 times)

rangerrebew

Pennsylvania teacher stays connected with her students while deployed with Guard
Davis Winkie

When she learned earlier this year that her Army National Guard unit was soon to deploy, a third-grade teacher at a Pennsylvania elementary school faced the challenge of telling her 22 students about her departure.

“When I told them that I was … going overseas and showed them on a map where the Middle East was, they were definitely surprised I would be going so far away and for so long,” said Spc. Anna Schmeck, who is usually found at Conrad Weiser West Elementary School in Womelsdorf. Now she’s at Camp Buehring, Kuwait, deployed with Headquarters Support Company, 628th Aviation Support Battalion, 28th Expeditionary Combat Aviation Brigade.

According to a fact sheet provided by the brigade’s public affairs officer, Cpt. Travis Mueller, the National Guard brigade is currently deployed throughout the Middle East supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the fight against the Islamic State, in addition to Operation Spartan Shield. The unit has been conducting combat and medevac operations since this summer.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/12/23/pennsylvania-teacher-stays-connected-with-her-students-while-deployed-with-guard/