Author Topic: The Last Gasp of Peace: The Christmas Truce of 1914 and the Modern Profession of Arms  (Read 173 times)

rangerrebew

The Last Gasp of Peace: The Christmas Truce of 1914 and the Modern Profession of Arms
Joseph D. Eanett
December 25, 2020

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in 2019.

The story of the Christmas Truce of 1914 is often considered “played out,” especially in historical circles, but it is a compelling tale; its best and most impactful role is on the young minds of the military who have not yet heard it. It is hard for most to come to terms with the horrors of the Western Front, and equally challenging to understand the willingness of soldiers to set aside their differences in the midst of so much death. The actions of the Christmas Truce do not echo with the heroism of Pickett’s Charge, the audacity of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. using his cane to direct landings on Utah Beach, or the bravery of the USS Johnston charging the Japanese fleet at the Battle off Samar. Over the last twelve years, I have returned to this story every year as a teaching moment for the airmen I have led, and now for the midshipmen I teach at the U.S. Naval Academy. It has been a valuable framework for me to remind them how serious their jobs are. It is odd to consider that I teach this to Air Force and Navy members, the services with the least appreciation for the trenches of World War I, but I think that is what makes it more important. Most members of these services bear the particular burden of executing combat without staring into the eyes of the enemy. But the lesson of the truce is important for all armed services. Members of the profession of arms should remember the Christmas Truce for everything it was, and they should learn about it because of all the things it was not.

https://warontherocks.com/2020/12/the-last-gasp-of-peace-the-christmas-truce-of-1914-and-the-modern-profession-of-arms/