Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 84287 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2021, 01:57:05 am »
Finished Hondo by Louis L'Amour.  Simple story, interesting, and a fast read.  On to the next book.

Expect more of the same. I can get through a L'amour tale in four hours if I am left alone... In our recent power outage I got half way through Lando in two hours time... before the headlamp gave up the ghost. New headlamp nearly on the way btw...

Offline verga

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2021, 04:45:55 pm »
Finished up Clive Cussler's "The Titanic secret", ordered the first three in the Series and am in the Middle of Cussler's Arctic Drift.
I want to finish up all of his Dirk Pitt stuff before summer. Should be easy enough, they're not "deep" reads. I was nice to see that his car did not get destroyed in a shoot out car chase this time (So far).
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2021, 04:51:07 pm »
Finished up Clive Cussler's "The Titanic secret", ordered the first three in the Series and am in the Middle of Cussler's Arctic Drift.
I want to finish up all of his Dirk Pitt stuff before summer. Should be easy enough, they're not "deep" reads. I was nice to see that his car did not get destroyed in a shoot out car chase this time (So far).

The thing I have against Cussler is the necessary suspension of disbelief... The first books were outlandish, but a rollicking story made it work... As I went on, the impossibility of the stories began to rub me wrong.  :shrug:

BassWrangler

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2021, 05:10:55 pm »
I've moved on to the latest Kurt Schlichter book in the Kelly Turnbull series: "Crises". Loving these books. They're a real pick-me-up in current times because they are merciless in making fun of the leftist woke fools.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2021, 12:30:37 am »
The thing I have against Cussler is the necessary suspension of disbelief... The first books were outlandish, but a rollicking story made it work... As I went on, the impossibility of the stories began to rub me wrong.  :shrug:

I think they were good. I think he had someone else writing a lot of later stuff. And I agree with you on the superhero aspect.

On book eight of the Cradle. Need to finish it up and one more for the month. Nine books a month is my goal.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2021, 12:25:53 pm »
I think they were good. I think he had someone else writing a lot of later stuff. And I agree with you on the superhero aspect.

On book eight of the Cradle. Need to finish it up and one more for the month. Nine books a month is my goal.

The only book I’ve ever read with “Cradle” in the title was “Cat’s Cradle”, by Vonnegut. I loved it but I realize that Kurt Vonnegut may not be for everyone. Most of my classmates in an English course when we were reading “Slaughterhouse Five” really disliked it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2021, 01:15:49 pm »
The only book I’ve ever read with “Cradle” in the title was “Cat’s Cradle”, by Vonnegut. I loved it but I realize that Kurt Vonnegut may not be for everyone. Most of my classmates in an English course when we were reading “Slaughterhouse Five” really disliked it.

Your classmates would have liked Breakfast of Champions better...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2021, 01:30:43 pm »
Your classmates would have liked Breakfast of Champions better...

Dwayne Hoover the Pontiac salesman, and Kilgore Trout! Hurray!

I do agree @Cyber Liberty . Or Cats Cradle, The Sirens of Titian. Even that book he wrote in 79 about Sacco and Vanzetti was good. “Jailbird”

I used that one for part of a paper for an AP US History class in HS and got an A+ on it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:34:36 pm by Gefn »

Offline verga

« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2021, 07:26:08 pm »
Never read "Cat's Cradle". Loved "Breakfast of Champions" and "Slapstick"
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2021, 02:05:02 am »
Vonnegut, read everything he wrote up to Breakfast of Champions.  I thought it was mediocre.  However, back in my university days, I thought Cat's Cradle was one of my favorite stories.  I also loved Slaughterhouse Five.  It was a difficult book to follow, and I can see why folks might not like it or find it difficult to follow.

Some 30 years after I read Cat's Cradle, I was sick in bed and decided to read it again.  I hate to say this, but I could not remotely understand why I liked the book.  I was not impressed.

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2021, 02:09:40 am »
Just finished another L'Amour book, Showdown at Yellow Butte.  Again, great characters, easy read.

Bought a lot of 65 of his books today.  Got them for a reasonable rate, about $2 each for the leatherette books.

Offline corbe

« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2021, 02:22:28 am »
   Got this today.  I wanted to start it tonight but decided to get drunk and Internet instead.  It's another story about my family's history in founding San Antonio, 1731.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2021, 02:26:10 am »
Vonnegut, read everything he wrote up to Breakfast of Champions.  I thought it was mediocre.  However, back in my university days, I thought Cat's Cradle was one of my favorite stories.  I also loved Slaughterhouse Five.  It was a difficult book to follow, and I can see why folks might not like it or find it difficult to follow.

Some 30 years after I read Cat's Cradle, I was sick in bed and decided to read it again.  I hate to say this, but I could not remotely understand why I liked the book.  I was not impressed.

I understand @jafo2010

When I was in Junior High, 8 discovered Sylvia Plath. I thought she was the best female poet ever.

When I was in my mid to late 20s, about 27, 28, I thought she was a selfish woman, who not only almost took her two children with her suicide, but the person who lived in the flat below.
And this was over Ted Hughes, who may be a good poet in his own right, but how in the heck did he have two wives suicide?

Now, if I want to read a good female poet, I’ll read Emily Dickinson or Elizabeth Browning
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:27:23 am by Gefn »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2021, 02:12:13 am »

I liked the idea of Ice-9
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2021, 06:08:05 pm »
Just cranked through four L'Amour books.  Easy reads.  He is very descriptive with his writing.

Got 69 of his books, and negotiating for another 52 more books which will give me a near complete set of his books.  I hope to read them all this year, in addition to my normal reading.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2021, 07:14:37 pm »
I've recently started Stephen W. Sears' "Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam." Very detailed and gives good background info leading up to the battle itself. I find myself having to stop and reread entire paragraphs just to keep everything straight. But it's very good, at least so far, up to page 74.  :laugh:

It occurs to me that I sound like the young man in the Progressive Insurance commercials, where the Parenta-Life coach Dr. Rick asks, "Who else reads books about submarines?" and he replies, "My dad?"

Yes, this baby boomer female actually reads books about Civil War battles.  :silly:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:17:23 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2021, 08:47:15 pm »
Just cranked through four L'Amour books.  Easy reads.  He is very descriptive with his writing.

Got 69 of his books, and negotiating for another 52 more books which will give me a near complete set of his books.  I hope to read them all this year, in addition to my normal reading.

@jafo2010

So I guess I'm not going out on a limb when I say you are now a Louis L'Amour fan?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2021, 06:50:00 pm »
Yes, I am enjoying his books.  One thing absolutely true about his work, it is all American.  When you read his books, and I have only read a few, it is clearly evident we have much to be thankful for, and much to lose.  Life back in the 19th century was challenging and harsh, to say the least.

I wake up daily, no wood to cut for warmth, I can prepare a meal in a few minutes that will feed us for five days, and stored in a refrigerator to keep it fresh.  Everything is grown for me, and all I need do is buy it and eat it.  And so far, life has been safe for me and my family.  No one threatening us with our life, no wild animals looking to make me dinner, no diseases to contend with, etc. 

Again, life is good.  And the people that settled this country had courage and great determination.  We have lost that as a nation I fear.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2021, 10:07:09 pm »
   Got this today.  I wanted to start it tonight but decided to get drunk and Internet instead.  It's another story about my family's history in founding San Antonio, 1731.

I had no idea of your family's history.  I'll have to give it a read.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2021, 10:13:26 pm »
I am reading "Neighbors" one of Danielle Steel's newest books.  It's a light, easy read and I'm enjoying it.  Read almost half of the book last night.

I looked up the L'Amour books, I didn't realize that they were fictional history; my fave.  Anyone have a favorite??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2021, 10:57:22 pm »
I am reading "Neighbors" one of Danielle Steel's newest books.  It's a light, easy read and I'm enjoying it.  Read almost half of the book last night.

I looked up the L'Amour books, I didn't realize that they were fictional history; my fave.  Anyone have a favorite??

ANY of the Sackett books.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2021, 11:04:14 pm »
I wake up daily, no wood to cut for warmth, I can prepare a meal in a few minutes that will feed us for five days, and stored in a refrigerator to keep it fresh.  Everything is grown for me, and all I need do is buy it and eat it.  And so far, life has been safe for me and my family.  No one threatening us with our life, no wild animals looking to make me dinner, no diseases to contend with, etc. 

Well, really it ain't all that hard otherwise. I have lived by lantern light and heated with wood, having to fetch water and use an outhouse ... You might be surprised how many there are that still do. Same goes for building things with hand tools and blacksmithing. Just takes longer is all. The work is actually better craft.

The big one is refrigeration - And by that I mean freezers. Folks had regular refrigeration sinking stuff down in the well. After that, laundry... The rest ain't bad at all.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2021, 11:41:01 pm »
I had no idea of your family's history.  I'll have to give it a read.

My Great, Great, Great Grandfather was PT Barnum. We don't talk about it much....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2021, 11:44:31 pm »
My Great, Great, Great Grandfather was PT Barnum. We don't talk about it much....

The time to talk is long over,  imo.

I am on my 16th book this year.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2021, 11:00:29 pm »
Just starting "Kolyma Tales" by Varlam Shalamov, semi-autobiographical short stories about life in the Soviet labor camps of far north-eastern Siberia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolyma_Tales

I had seen these mentioned while reading The Gulag Archipelago, so I hunted it up and downloaded it...