Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 82733 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2021, 02:43:43 pm »
Books Mary Shelley read in 1821:

source:https://twitter.com/pastnow_/status/1344827035525505026/photo/2
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2021, 04:58:35 pm »
I only read the first one... :shrug:
If you get a chance add the others.The final one "Rama Revealed" was worth the wait. It is one of those stories that is a slow continuous build to the end.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2021, 05:02:06 pm »
If you get a chance add the others.The final one "Rama Revealed" was worth the wait. It is one of those stories that is a slow continuous build to the end.

I had the set.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2021, 05:19:58 pm »
I had the set.

I have the set on my Kindle now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2021, 05:21:49 pm »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2021, 08:34:24 pm »
A friend of Mr. M's gave him some books he'd already read, and so I am diving in. Last night I finished "Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Our friend also gave us "Killing Reagan" and "Killing England."

The Patton book suggests that the general was the victim of a murder plot, that the traffic "accident" that paralyzed him was no accident at all. O'Reilly and Dugard are not the only ones to think so; I've just come upon this 2012 article in The American Thinker on the same topic. Interesting.

As an aside, a great-great-grandfather on my father's side served under Patton's grandfather, Col. George Patton, during the Civil War.

The book summarizes the Third Army's activities from late 1944 to the end of the war, e.g., Battle of the Bulge, and Patton's disagreements with Eisenhower, Bradley, et al., in the context of the approach of the Soviets, the liberation of Auschwitz and other events at the end of the war.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2021, 01:06:06 am »
A friend of Mr. M's gave him some books he'd already read, and so I am diving in. Last night I finished "Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Our friend also gave us "Killing Reagan" and "Killing England."

The Patton book suggests that the general was the victim of a murder plot, that the traffic "accident" that paralyzed him was no accident at all. O'Reilly and Dugard are not the only ones to think so; I've just come upon this 2012 article in The American Thinker on the same topic. Interesting.

As an aside, a great-great-grandfather on my father's side served under Patton's grandfather, Col. George Patton, during the Civil War.

The book summarizes the Third Army's activities from late 1944 to the end of the war, e.g., Battle of the Bulge, and Patton's disagreements with Eisenhower, Bradley, et al., in the context of the approach of the Soviets, the liberation of Auschwitz and other events at the end of the war.

And I would be among those in the highlighted part.  By 1945 there were already a great number of committed communists entrenched in the United States Department of State and they definitely were not fond of Patton's ideas on how to deal with eh Soviet Union.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2021, 01:11:27 am »
Several months ago I purchased a copy of this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Judicial-Fortitude-Chance-Administrative-State/dp/1641770082/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AYAT2W1IU4JD&dchild=1&keywords=judicial+fortitude+wallison&qid=1609636063&sprefix=Judicial+For%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1

intending to read it as soon as possible.  By the time it had worked it's way to the top of the list, I was no longer sure I wanted to waste the time necessary to read it as recent events had shown me that what it proposes is never going to happen.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2021, 01:22:53 am »
I've just started reading a book about Fort Knox...

but I'm finding it really hard to get into!!..
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2021, 01:31:12 am »
I've just started reading a book about Fort Knox...

but I'm finding it really hard to get into!!..

****drummer

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2021, 02:26:09 am »
Waiting for my first lot of L'Amour books to arrive.  I bought a second lot with about 90 books and the seller after I paid reneged and decided not to sell it to me.  So, I am waiting for my near $300 to return from the idiot.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2021, 04:34:15 pm »
I just finished re-reading Rendezvous With Rama.  I first read it when it came out in 1973 (around the time I read Childhood's End) when I was in High School.  I picked up some details I had forgotten (but who could forget the last sentence in the book?  The Ramans did everything in threes.).

Rama II came out 15 years later, when I was immersed in things like work and a family.  I had no idea three more books had been published.

Fresh from RWR, I'm digging in to RII....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2021, 05:16:52 pm »
https://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/

If you have ANY fondness at all for historical fiction,with just a taste of fiction and a hard base of history,you HAVE to read his books about the origins of South Africa. The tale begins with the first white settlers moving into a vast land populated ONLY by a very small tribe of roaming pygmies,and takes it right up to the communist takeover my Mandella and the rest of the posers,whose ancestors were NOT from South Africa.

IIRC,his great-grandfather headed up one of those original settler families.

I don't know what your experience will be with these books because it all depends on your political and historic view of the world,but I had a hard time putting any of them down before finishing them.

BTW,to date I have only read the Courtney series,so naturally these are the ones I recommend you start with,and I recommend you read them in order. Here is the order and everything else you need to know about this series.

https://www.howtoread.me/the-courtney-series-in-order/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:24:55 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2021, 06:37:22 pm »
Finished "Killing Reagan" this morning. Good background on Ron and Nancy, pre-political years, their strengths and failings, the assassination attempt and on his decline.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2021, 02:07:42 am »
O'Reilly's books are interesting, but they are suspect for the truth!  He still stands by the moronic notion that Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed JFK.  Nothing could be further from the truth!!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2021, 08:15:41 am »
BTW,Bernard Cromwell is another author I strongly recommend.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/series/the-last-kingdom-series/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2021, 11:45:35 am »
O'Reilly's books are interesting, but they are suspect for the truth!  He still stands by the moronic notion that Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed JFK.  Nothing could be further from the truth!!
They're kind of like "history lite," which might inspire the reader to delve deeper.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2021, 02:03:48 pm »
Gotcha.  I did KU for a while at the first of the year when I was off work on short-term disability, and that's where I found Will Wight's Cradle series. Good entertainment!

I have read the first two Cradle books and downloaded three and four.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2021, 03:38:55 pm »
I have read the first two Cradle books and downloaded three and four.

I guess that probably means you're enjoying them.   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline libertybele

« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2021, 10:00:44 pm »
It has finally arrived.  I've been waiting for quite awhile for Ted Cruz's new book "One Vote Away How a Single Supreme Court Seat Can Change History".  The book is also signed!  I am thrilled.  His last book "A Time for Truth" was supposed to be signed and it arrived without his John Hancock.

"The book is dedicated to William Hubbs Rehnquist, the sixteenth Chief Justice of the United States and my friend."

I am excited to start reading it; especially since our SCOTUS just failed miserably and didn't do their jobs.

With Ted's involvement in the recent objections to the election, I anticipate that he has ample material for another book.

IMHO he is an excellent writer!! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2021, 02:17:09 am »

IMHO he is an excellent writer!!

@libertybele

And an even better actor when he needs votes.

Offline verga

« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2021, 06:53:10 pm »
Just started reading Clive Cussler "The Titanic Secret" Set in 1911, it is the follow up to "Raise the Titanic" So far I am not seeing the usual predictable story flow. This is about Isaac Bell who is a detective working for the Van Dorn Security agency. It is the 11th one in the series. I went back and bought 1-3 in the series.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

BassWrangler

« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2021, 07:45:03 pm »
Just started:

The Moscow Rules: The Secret CIA Tactics That Helped America Win the Cold War" by Antonio J. Mendez, Jonna Mendez.

Start reading it for free: https://a.co/fLqr4Qx

Am a little put off by some propaganda about Russian election interference that was in the books forward, but it doesn't appear the rest of the book would touch on that since it's about the cold war.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2021, 08:00:35 pm »
I'm reading "Raised On Radio", a history of old-time radio. Enjoyable, if a little biased towards the author's favorite shows.

Also reading "A Tale of Two Cities". Figured I need to work on some of the classics I've never read before they're all banned by the snowflakes.
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

BassWrangler

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2021, 08:35:39 pm »
This thread is worth bookmarking.