Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 82677 times)

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2020, 03:57:55 am »
Ordered a book with four L'Amour books, and it has Hondo.  For whatever reason, many of the lots on Ebay, etc do not have Hondo, so I thought I would order this book with three of the first four books By L'Amour.

I am also bidding on one of the leatherette lots at a reasonable price for me.  Will know tomorrow if I get it.

Some of these folks want an arm and a leg.

@jafo2010

He was a VERY popular author. Several of the books you will read,including Hondo,were made into movies,and The Sacketts were turned into a mini-series on broadcast teebee.

Because he was so popular,there were several "collectors editions" and "collector series" sets of his book for sale new at one time,and lots of people bought them up.

The good news is most of us are more readers than collectors,and there are tons of used paperbacks for sale.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2020, 04:18:30 am »
Sneakypete...like I said, I prefer hardback only because the print is a hair larger and easier to read.  And I prefer books versus electronic reading.

I haven't checked yet, but I would imagine I could download all of L'Amour from    www.bookfi    for free.  I literally have hundreds of electronic books from there.  I just prefer books.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2020, 06:14:05 am »
Sneakypete...like I said, I prefer hardback only because the print is a hair larger and easier to read.  And I prefer books versus electronic reading.

@jafo2010

Same here,but for years,if I wanted to read,and I did,economics dominated,and it was paperbacks. I have TWO kindles,and only use them when the power is out. They are better and easier to use that books,but they ain't books. I want to feel and smell the paper.

I haven't checked yet, but I would imagine I could download all of L'Amour from    www.bookfi    for free.  I literally have hundreds of electronic books from there.

Believe it or not,but that had never even occurred to me.

I just prefer books.

Yeah!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2020, 01:27:13 pm »
Got my Audible yearly stats, and as it turns out being on STD for a couple of months really increases a gal's listening time.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2020, 01:45:17 pm »
I just ordered the latest book by Marie Benedict from my library.

I have to recommend her. She writes historical fiction. Wrote a book on Andrew Carnegie’s maid which put her on the map.

The other Einstein- 2016

Carnegie’s Maid- 2018

The Only Woman in the Room- 2019

Lady Clementine-2020

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie- 2020 (this week)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »
I'll finish book 81 for the year tonite.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2020, 02:07:39 pm »
Before Christmas, I picked up a copy of Bill O’Reilly’s Legends and Lies; The Civil War, a companion book to a FOX historical docudrama of which I was unaware. The actual author is David Fisher. I got it at Ollie's discount store for only $4.25, and figured I had nothing to lose.

This actually is a good book for a Civil War novice, say, a young person never taught actual, true American history in the public schools. It provides a good overview of some of the events leading to the war, e.g., John Brown's activities in Kansas and Harpers Ferry, and profiles of the key battles and military figures, like Lee, Grant, Sherman, Jackson, etc. It explains emancipation and goes through the surrender and Lincoln's assassination. It isn't a book, perhaps, for one who has studied the subject extensively and can recite the precise maneuvers of the 2nd Vermont Brigade on July 2, 1863, or Gen. Hooker's tactics at Fredericksburg, but the narrative and many illustrations might pique the interest of someone who hasn't had that exposure. Recommended.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2020, 03:58:45 pm »
...]Bill O’Reilly’s Legends and Lies; The Civil War, a companion book to a FOX historical docudrama of which I was unaware. The actual author is David Fisher....

This actually is a good book for a Civil War novice, say, a young person never taught actual, true American history in the public schools....Recommended.

Thank you!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2020, 04:48:40 pm »
I'll finish book 81 for the year tonite.

Do you track those / keep count manually or do you use Goodreads or something like that? I have no idea how many books I've read; I only know how many I listened to because Audible keeps track for me and sends me an email at the end of the year.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2020, 05:35:19 pm »
Do you track those / keep count manually or do you use Goodreads or something like that? I have no idea how many books I've read; I only know how many I listened to because Audible keeps track for me and sends me an email at the end of the year.

@Polly Ticks

Is Audible a on-line book recording service?

I am thinking about oral books because I have had so much trouble concentrating lately. I think maybe books I hear over a headset might be easier to follow.

Do you have any spoken book URL's?

What do they cost per book,and is there a good selection of older as well as newer books?

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2020, 06:05:52 pm »
@Polly Ticks

Is Audible a on-line book recording service?

I am thinking about oral books because I have had so much trouble concentrating lately. I think maybe books I hear over a headset might be easier to follow.

Do you have any spoken book URL's?

What do they cost per book,and is there a good selection of older as well as newer books?

@sneakypete

Audible is an Amazon-owned company for audiobooks.  There are different memberships available, but the gist of it is that your membership gives you one or more credits that can be used to purchase any audiobook they sell -- one credit = one audiobook.  The basic plan is $14.95 for one credit per month. Those books you purchase are yours to keep even if you cancel the membership. They do have a good selection of both older and newer books, yes, although I understand the recording quality sometimes isn't as good on some of the older books. 

They've recently started offering a new benefit with your membership that is called Audible Plus. Audible Plus operates more like Netflix ... you can listen to the book, but you don' t get to keep it and the catalog of titles offered changes from time to time.  (Side note: I just did a quick search of the Audible Plus catalog out of curiosity, and it currently contains 34 of the Louis L'Amour titles.)  If that rental model is more your preference, you are able to purchase a membership that only provides access to the Plus catalog without any credits for $7.95 per month.

They have other membership benefits like a Daily Deal discounted audiobook of the day and they have 2-books-for-1-credit sales fairly frequently, too.  Here's the link if you want more info:
https://www.audible.com/ep/audible-member-benefit?pf_rd_p=8b6553b9-a061-4b02-9d16-7947e3a80b89&pf_rd_r=NR295PZT61HAQWR6SNEZ

As far as other URLs, I'm not really sure what else might be out there.  You'd think there would be something for audiobooks like Gutenberg does for ebooks, but I don't really know. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2020, 08:26:49 pm »

I go by how many I return with Kindle Unlimited. These are easy read sci fi or fantasy. 275-350 pages each. I am a quarter through 82 now. I can finish it today if I just go do it. Like I said. I don't watch tv.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2020, 08:55:29 pm »
I go by how many I return with Kindle Unlimited. These are easy read sci fi or fantasy. 275-350 pages each. I am a quarter through 82 now. I can finish it today if I just go do it. Like I said. I don't watch tv.

Gotcha.  I did KU for a while at the first of the year when I was off work on short-term disability, and that's where I found Will Wight's Cradle series. Good entertainment!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2020, 09:04:22 pm »
Gotcha.  I did KU for a while at the first of the year when I was off work on short-term disability, and that's where I found Will Wight's Cradle series. Good entertainment!

I'll check him out. Always trying new authors. I did reread a compilation of Arthur C Clarke's short stories this year. About 1200 pages worth.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2020, 09:15:34 pm »
I'll check him out. Always trying new authors. I did reread a compilation of Arthur C Clarke's short stories this year. About 1200 pages worth.

It's a basic progression fantasy ... each book is a 'level-up' for the protagonist.  (But not Lit-RPG.  I don't really care much for those.)  Let me know what you think if you try it out!

I haven't read short story compilations in a long time.  Maybe I'll try one of those this coming year.
 :beer:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2020, 10:33:41 pm »
@sneakypete

Audible is an Amazon-owned company for audiobooks.  There are different memberships available, but the gist of it is that your membership gives you one or more credits that can be used to purchase any audiobook they sell -- one credit = one audiobook.  The basic plan is $14.95 for one credit per month. Those books you purchase are yours to keep even if you cancel the membership. They do have a good selection of both older and newer books, yes, although I understand the recording quality sometimes isn't as good on some of the older books. 

They've recently started offering a new benefit with your membership that is called Audible Plus. Audible Plus operates more like Netflix ... you can listen to the book, but you don' t get to keep it and the catalog of titles offered changes from time to time.  (Side note: I just did a quick search of the Audible Plus catalog out of curiosity, and it currently contains 34 of the Louis L'Amour titles.)  If that rental model is more your preference, you are able to purchase a membership that only provides access to the Plus catalog without any credits for $7.95 per month.

They have other membership benefits like a Daily Deal discounted audiobook of the day and they have 2-books-for-1-credit sales fairly frequently, too.  Here's the link if you want more info:
https://www.audible.com/ep/audible-member-benefit?pf_rd_p=8b6553b9-a061-4b02-9d16-7947e3a80b89&pf_rd_r=NR295PZT61HAQWR6SNEZ

As far as other URLs, I'm not really sure what else might be out there.  You'd think there would be something for audiobooks like Gutenberg does for ebooks, but I don't really know.

@Polly Ticks

Thank you!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2020, 11:17:46 pm »
Sneakypete asked:
"Is Audible a on-line book recording service?"

Want more audiobooks than you'll ever be able to listen to?
Just open a browser (I recommend the Epic privacy browser) and enter:
"torrent xxxx audiobook"
... with xxxx representing the name of the book, author, etc.

(As Butch said to Sundance after he placed the dynamite)
"That oughta do it..."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2021, 12:37:40 am »
Audible is an Amazon-owned company for audiobooks.  There are different memberships available, but the gist of it is that your membership gives you one or more credits that can be used to purchase any audiobook they sell -- one credit = one audiobook. 

You know, I have tried like crazy to get into audibles... I just can't. It don't work for me, and I can't tell you why.

It is strange to me, because you are talking to the guy who, back in the day, modified industrial earmuffs to receive speakers harvested from walkman earphones so I could listen to Limbaugh and talk radio all day while I was riding around on a garden tractor and running string trimmers and such when I was in lawn and landscaping.

Maybe it's just because I can't soak it in - It's that way now with yoottoob - There have been vids playing all day long while I was sitting here in Command Central, and I couldn't tell you what any of them were.  :shrug:

Books are an entertainment to me - a distraction - A way to step out of my day to day... But when I am working I am too focused to be entertained. I just don't hear it as anything other than white noise.
Maybe I ought to try it before bed... I don't know.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:32 am »
Sneakypete asked:
"Is Audible a on-line book recording service?"

Want more audiobooks than you'll ever be able to listen to?
Just open a browser (I recommend the Epic privacy browser) and enter:
"torrent xxxx audiobook"
... with xxxx representing the name of the book, author, etc.

(As Butch said to Sundance after he placed the dynamite)
"That oughta do it..."

Oh yeah, I guess that would be another option.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2021, 12:47:21 am »
You know, I have tried like crazy to get into audibles... I just can't. It don't work for me, and I can't tell you why.

It is strange to me, because you are talking to the guy who, back in the day, modified industrial earmuffs to receive speakers harvested from walkman earphones so I could listen to Limbaugh and talk radio all day while I was riding around on a garden tractor and running string trimmers and such when I was in lawn and landscaping.

Maybe it's just because I can't soak it in - It's that way now with yoottoob - There have been vids playing all day long while I was sitting here in Command Central, and I couldn't tell you what any of them were.  :shrug:

Books are an entertainment to me - a distraction - A way to step out of my day to day... But when I am working I am too focused to be entertained. I just don't hear it as anything other than white noise.

You just like to listen to yourself talk.  :police:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 12:48:27 am by bigheadfred »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2021, 12:47:34 am »

Yeah, I can't do audiobooks when I'm working, either, or doing anything that requires any kind of brain effort.  I mainly listen when I'm working out, doing mindless chores, or some other activity that I do on autopilot like needlepoint and such.  Oh, and sometimes I will listen in the car rather than turning on the radio.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2021, 01:09:11 am »
You just like to listen to yourself talk.  :police:

I used to sing in the shower... But the game wardens would always show up wondering why a bull elk was so close to town...  :shrug: :whistle: :seeya:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2021, 01:25:15 am »
It's a basic progression fantasy ... each book is a 'level-up' for the protagonist.  (But not Lit-RPG.  I don't really care much for those.)  Let me know what you think if you try it out!

I haven't read short story compilations in a long time.  Maybe I'll try one of those this coming year.
 :beer:

I just did a recount. I am on book 92. 

I downloaded book 1 of Wight's Cradle.

Offline verga

« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2021, 10:27:05 am »
Did you ever read the "Rama" series. Enthralled me in High school and college. I would literally wait at the book store for the last two to come out.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2021, 01:32:00 pm »
Did you ever read the "Rama" series. Enthralled me in High school and college. I would literally wait at the book store for the last two to come out.

I only read the first one... :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: