Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 82674 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What are you reading right now?
« on: December 17, 2020, 12:58:13 pm »
Kicking off the new Category.  Please tell us about what you're reading today!  I'm reading Greg Gutfeld's Gutfeld's Monologues.  I am not a fast reader, so I'll probably take a week to get through it on my Kindle.

(Most of the stuff I read is right here!)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 01:54:38 pm »
I am reading Exodus Ark. J.N. Chaney. Young adult sci-fi. Easy reading and no thinking. Like watching a cheesy sci-fi tv show. Some small entertainment since I don't watch tv. I read a lot of these new authors. De-stresses me. And helps me sleep. I've read 74 books this year.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 02:03:20 pm »
I am reading Exodus Ark. J.N. Chaney. Young adult sci-fi. Easy reading and no thinking. Like watching a cheesy sci-fi tv show. Some small entertainment since I don't watch tv. I read a lot of these new authors. De-stresses me. And helps me sleep. I've read 74 books this year.

I am not familiar with that one, but I love reading speculative fiction and have more than a couple YA titles on my (real-world and digital) bookshelves.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 02:05:49 pm »
74 books is a lot @bigheadfred

It’s been difficult with libraries closed, so I’d be quite happy with it.

Most of what I’ve read this year are re reads of books I have in my personal library. Or books from Audible.

I really enjoy audio books, because you can do things you don’t like to do at the same time while you listen. Like cleaning house. Or you can take them on a nice long walk and you don’t realize how long you’ve walked.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 06:24:30 pm »
Right now I am too stupid to read anything. Chemo brain + fevers and chills does NOT make you bright. I read one page,and forget everything on it before I can finish the next page.

Hope to participate soon.

Will mention two authors before closing.

Louis L'Amour   western author,anything he ever wrote is as good as it gets.

W.E.B Griffin  military history from a fictional point of view,but actually writing about real people and real events. I even knew or hear about some of the people in his books from people who did know them.

Absolutely first class,each and every book in the Brotherhood of War series.

Do yourself a favor and start with Book 1,The Lieutenants,and work your way foreward as the books follow the careers of some of these soldiers from right before WW-2,right through the wars in the Muddle East.

Historical fiction (?) just doesn't get any better.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 07:05:50 pm »
I love to read when I get a chance -- usually around bedtime to help me sleep, but sometimes I get too enthralled with the book and wind up reading into the wee hours of mid morning.

Right now I have two books out from the library (and they don't give you enough time if their newer):

"The Water Dancer" - Ta-Nehisi Caoates

"The Giver of Stars" - Jojo Moyes

One of the best books that I have read this year and has been on the best sellers list for quite awhile is "Where the Crowdad's Sing" by Delia Owens.

I recently finished " Ordinary Grace", by William Kent Krueger and I really enjoyed it and thought I had found a new favorite author but read two other books by him and was very disappointed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 07:08:03 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 07:07:26 pm »
Right now I am too stupid to read anything. Chemo brain + fevers and chills does NOT make you bright. I read one page,and forget everything on it before I can finish the next page.

Hope to participate soon.

Will mention two authors before closing.

Louis L'Amour   western author,anything he ever wrote is as good as it gets.

W.E.B Griffin  military history from a fictional point of view,but actually writing about real people and real events. I even knew or hear about some of the people in his books from people who did know them.

Absolutely first class,each and every book in the Brotherhood of War series.

Do yourself a favor and start with Book 1,The Lieutenants,and work your way foreward as the books follow the careers of some of these soldiers from right before WW-2,right through the wars in the Muddle East.

Historical fiction (?) just doesn't get any better.

I too love historical fiction.

Hope you get to feeling better soon ... One day at a time @sneakypete

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 07:12:00 pm »

I have read every book by Danielle Steel -- easy reads...some are really good plots, some a little cheesy.  I call them "escape books".  I don't watch tv either.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 07:26:50 pm »
I have read every book by Danielle Steel -- easy reads...some are really good plots, some a little cheesy.  I call them "escape books".  I don't watch tv either.

I'm sensing a pattern here.  I don't watch TV, either, except during baseball season.  :)
And "escape books" are great - I have read the entire J. D Robb "In Death" series multiple times. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 07:30:31 pm »
I'm sensing a pattern here.  I don't watch TV, either, except during baseball season.  :)
And "escape books" are great - I have read the entire J. D Robb "In Death" series multiple times.

Murder mysteries??

Offline Gefn

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 07:45:29 pm »

There’s a brand new one that just came out by Danielle Steel. “Moral Compass”

Offline Gefn

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 07:46:36 pm »
Does anyone read Oprah’s or Reese Witherspoon’s book of the month?

My favorite historical fiction writer would be Sharon Kay Penman. Love her stuff, and it is accurate
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 07:48:24 pm by Gefn »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 08:02:48 pm »
There’s a brand new one that just came out by Danielle Steel. “Moral Compass”

"Moral Compas" well, it was the only one of her books that I started to read and I didn't finish it -- I didn't like the subject matter; assaults and rapes.

Another new one of hers that I felt was much much better is "The Wedding Dress"...good easy, pleasant read. 

I really enjoyed "Royal" and my favorite book of hers for 2020 is "Daddy's Girls" -- both great I thought.

My all time favorite book of hers continues to be "A Good Woman". (2008)

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 08:04:12 pm »
Does anyone read Oprah’s or Reese Witherspoon’s book of the month?

My favorite historical fiction writer would be Sharon Kay Penman. Love her stuff, and it is accurate

Yes, I've looked at the list a couple of times.  That's how I came to read "Where the Crawdads Sing".

Thanks for the tip on Sharon Kay Penman ... love historical fiction.  I'll give her a try. happy77
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:10:12 pm by libertybele »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 11:18:24 pm »

@libertybele @bigheadfred

Y'all are cheating yourselves by not watching tv. Tv shows ain't the mindless pablum they used to be. Get a ROKU player or a sat dish so you can stream series like "The Wire", "Breaking Bad",""","MI-5","Shameless","The "Vikings","Poldark","Ray Donovan","The Americans","Lonesome Dove",and last but not least by any means,"Shameless".

There is also a lot of good tv series now. Broadcast tv pretty much had to up their game or go out of business.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 11:27:29 pm »
I'm reading this:
https://www.rulit.me/books/amerika-the-triumph-of-the-american-spirit-read-349142-1.html

It's a short novelization of the 1987 tv miniseries about a communist takeover of the United States.

The tv series was pretty good (and not overly optimistic about the future).
All one has to do is "look around" to realize that it might have been a bit too predictive of the future...

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 12:11:10 am »
Murder mysteries??
@libertybele
Mostly.  Near-futuristic, police procedural, murder cop solves the cases.  Really good!!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 12:16:02 am »

Y'all are cheating yourselves by not watching tv. Tv shows ain't the mindless pablum they used to be. Get a ROKU player or a sat dish so you can stream series like "The Wire", "Breaking Bad",""","MI-5","Shameless","The "Vikings","Poldark","Ray Donovan","The Americans","Lonesome Dove",and last but not least by any means,"Shameless".

There is also a lot of good tv series now. Broadcast tv pretty much had to up their game or go out of business.

I don't have anything against it, per se.  I just have a genetic hearing-loss condition and it's easier to read than to try to watch/understand a show on TV when I miss half the dialogue.  I did binge-watch Downton Abbey a couple of years ago on Netflix (or maybe it was Amazon Prime?) where I could turn on the closed captions without driving anyone else crazy, though.  That was fun.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 12:21:28 am »
I have read tons of books and used to have the entire Hardy boys collection.

I do watch tv. Docs mostly. Prime or YT.

Dick Francis was one that I have read most of his books.

All the Classics. Took class lit in college. And a poetry course. I love Robert Frost.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 12:38:58 am »
Once I find an author I like, I tend to try to read everything that person has written, as the local library probably could attest. The preferred genre is suspense/mystery fiction. My favorites - at least, at the moment - are Ruth Rendell and Dean Koontz, but I've gone on streaks of trying to find everything available from Jonathan Kellerman, James Patterson, David Baldacci, Dick Francis, P.D. James, Georges Simenon, Agatha Christie and Patricia Cornwell. The last two I read (this week) were John Le Carre's "Our Kind of Traitor" and Koontz's "False Memory."

Alas, the libary is temporarily closed, although I think I can order books online and pick them up at the curb.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2020, 12:55:43 am »
I'm currently reading A History of China by J. A. G. Roberts and The Weight of Glory, a collection of essays by C. S. Lewis.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2020, 12:58:55 am »
I do not read horror. Like King or Koontz and nothing too paranormal. Ptsd much.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2020, 01:23:09 am »

Well, I would love to be able to sit and watch TV, but I can sit for any length of time -- it becomes painful to sit.  Also, I have a hearing problem, so no I don't watch much TV these days.  Hopefully one day I'll be able to actually sit and watch TV again ... but that's probably a long ways off.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2020, 01:24:13 am »
I do not read horror. Like King or Koontz and nothing too paranormal. Ptsd much.

I'm with ya on that ... no paranormal stuff for me either.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2020, 02:04:01 am »
This author wrote a splendid history of classic old-time network radio, but I also found this and just finished it:

(Codicil: The late Mr. Nachman wrote the book long before Bill Cosby's unfunny sex life came home to roost.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:35:53 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.