Author Topic: 6 First Gun Control Measures To Expect From A Biden Administration  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: 6 First Gun Control Measures To Expect From A Biden Administration
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2021, 12:00:40 am »
@Elderberry - are those peep sites? I've thought about putting peep sites on my 45-70.

And I totally agree about recoil on the 45-70. You feel it, but it's not painful or anything. I think most people that have issues with recoil are either placing the stock incorrectly up against their collar bone, or they are of light stature and don't have much muscle on their shoulder.

@BassWrangler

Yes. They are "peep sights".  I don't know why everyone that doesn't scope a rifle doesn't use peep, aperture, receiver sights. To find one of our military rifles that doesn't use peep sights I think you'd have to go back earlier than the 30-40 Krag.

My go-to place for peep sights, for a whole lotta years, is Brownells. :https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/fp-94-36-foolproof-receiver-rear-sight-prod106003.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=williams+gun+sight&avs%7cMake_3=Marlin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:18:55 am by Elderberry »

BassWrangler

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2021, 12:19:49 am »
Yes. They are "peep sights".  I don't know why everyone that doesn't scope a rifle doesn't use peep, aperture, receiver sights. To find one of our military rifles that doesn't use peep sights I think you'd have to go back earlier than the 30-40 Krag.

I love them, and agree there's a reason why they are on many military rifles.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2021, 12:26:50 am »
@BassWrangler

My go-to place for peep sights, for a whole lotta years, is Brownells. :https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/fp-94-36-foolproof-receiver-rear-sight-prod106003.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=williams+gun+sight&avs%7cMake_3=Marlin

@Elderberry

Speaking as a former professional gunsmith,you just can't go wrong with ANYTHING you buy from Brownells. They just don't sell junk. Everything you buy from them is pro-quality.

I can still get the "warm and fuzzies" from memories of the new Brownell catalogue coming in the mail,and all the time I would spend poring over it like a kid at Christmas time with a Sears catalogue.

Good memories! Thank you for them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2021, 12:40:48 am »
@sneakypete

To get peep sights mounted on the first rifle I ever bought myself at the ripe old age of around 14, I went to the appliance store "Proven Products". They had a gunsmith shop in the back of the store. They're still in existence, but they moved, and don't have gunsmith services anymore. After that I mounted all the rest myself, as well as most other gunsmithing I needed to do.

BassWrangler

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:03 am »
@Elderberry

Speaking as a former professional gunsmith,you just can't go wrong with ANYTHING you buy from Brownells. They just don't sell junk. Everything you buy from them is pro-quality.

I can still get the "warm and fuzzies" from memories of the new Brownell catalogue coming in the mail,and all the time I would spend poring over it like a kid at Christmas time with a Sears catalogue.

Good memories! Thank you for them.

Brownells is a great company. Love their YouTube channel too.

The best part of the company is how they support the customers with advice, tips, instructions and instructional videos, etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:52:02 am by BassWrangler »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2021, 12:46:05 am »
@sneakypete

The other catalog I'd go thru time and again was https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Offline verga

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2021, 12:15:32 pm »
@BassWrangler

Out at Scout Camp we use peep sights on the .22's. so much easier for the youngsters to learn to use rather than the open sights I started with. 
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2021, 12:19:38 pm »
I like Numrich for hard to find things. I have a 12 ga coach gin that was missing the trigger guard and butt plate. Searched for 2 years at every gun show I went to. Nothing.  Numrich had the guard, front screw, rear screw, butt plate and even the screws for that.less than $35. Several other places wanted that much for a butt plate was "close".
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

BassWrangler

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2021, 04:07:24 pm »
I like Numrich for hard to find things. I have a 12 ga coach gin that was missing the trigger guard and butt plate. Searched for 2 years at every gun show I went to. Nothing.  Numrich had the guard, front screw, rear screw, butt plate and even the screws for that.less than $35. Several other places wanted that much for a butt plate was "close".

Numrich is the same company as gunpartscorp mentioned earlier in the year :

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2021, 05:53:57 pm »
I've been buying from them since the early 60's. I don't think I've ever called them Numrich. They were always just "Gun Parts" to me.