Author Topic: Major snow and ice storm brewing for the East  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Major snow and ice storm brewing for the East
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 05:17:41 pm »
N.J. declares a state of emergency ahead of major winter storm

Gov. Phil Murphy declared a state of emergency in New Jersey effective at 2 p.m. Wednesday as the first major winter storm of the season is expected to slam the state with up to 18 inches of snow.

The northern half of the state is likely to get more than a foot of snow starting Wednesday afternoon and into Thursday morning. There is also the potential for strong winds gusting up to 60 mph that could cause power outages and coastal flooding.

“This is a major, major snowstorm,” Murphy said during a press conference on the storm in Woodbridge. “This will be a statewide weather event. Every county is currently under a watch or a warning of some sort.”

All nonessential state offices will also close at 1 p.m.

https://www.nj.com/weather/2020/12/nj-declares-a-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-major-winter-storm.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 05:21:48 pm »
From NBC News.

In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he anticipates declaring a state of emergency as of 6 p.m. for Hudson Valley counties, which Storm Team 4 says could get 2 feet.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/weather/weather-stories/tri-state-could-see-its-first-major-snow-storm-of-the-season-next-week/2774375/

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 06:43:19 pm »
I'm in the 6-10" range and I'm fine with that.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 08:43:11 pm »
Looks like it will be 2.5 inches here. Ugh. Not a fan.

@mountaineer  I think you are getting more according to Joe Bastardi...
Do you have everything you need?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 08:54:39 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Krampus, not

9999santa

Lol?
Let's say there have been a few very naughty boys and girls this year, for whom a lump of coal just won't do.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 08:56:44 pm »
My hunch as a meteorologist (and I should have mentioned this yesterday, but oh well) is that this is going to track a little further north than originally anticipated. I'm anticipating at least 6 inches where I live, which is a little higher than they originally said.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 09:40:31 pm »
mountaineer  I think you are getting more according to Joe Bastardi...
Do you have everything you need?
Yes, we're good. It probably will total 6". I just shoveled the first 3" or so off the driveway and front walk, since the piano tuner is coming tomorrow.  :laugh:

Update: it was at least 6". We shoveled the remaining 3-4" this morning - a very heavy, wet snow. Since many of our roads won't be plowed, the piano tuner is uncertain as to his arrival time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 03:59:13 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2020, 02:43:54 pm »
Hope everyone made it through ok.

❄️❄️❄️❄️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 04:23:54 pm »

Sean Mcdowell   @dvesean
If the Abbey Road Beatles album cover photo shoot was done in Pittsburgh this afternoon.
3:40 PM · Dec 16, 2020

Offline libertybele

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 04:45:36 pm »
Yes, we're good. It probably will total 6". I just shoveled the first 3" or so off the driveway and front walk, since the piano tuner is coming tomorrow.  :laugh:

Update: it was at least 6". We shoveled the remaining 3-4" this morning - a very heavy, wet snow. Since many of our roads won't be plowed, the piano tuner is uncertain as to his arrival time.

Thanks for sharing.  When we moved over 30 years ago from MI to FL, I reluctantly sold my piano, but it was very heavy to move (it took 4 guys to move it and you could hear the apartment steps creaking) and I didn't want to then have to put it into storage and then have to move it again.  So ... I envy you having a piano!

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2020, 04:48:58 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  When we moved over 30 years ago from MI to FL, I reluctantly sold my piano, but it was very heavy to move (it took 4 guys to move it and you could hear the apartment steps creaking) and I didn't want to then have to put it into storage and then have to move it again.  So ... I envy you having a piano!

I have always been fixin to get me one of them... It's close to the only thing with strings that I never learned to play. And I love... *LOVE* a ragtime or boogie-woogie piano...

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2020, 06:19:43 pm »
I just got my car out of the snow. Saw some kids going sledding

Made my ol heart feel good.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2020, 06:23:13 pm »
We got well over 10 inches here, more like 12-15.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2020, 06:35:59 pm »
I bought mine around 1990 and schlepped it from St. Louis to Pittsburgh to where we live now. It's a vital part of my well-being! The piano tuner said he waited until his wife came home with the SUV, so he made it here okay. The major roads are fairly clear, but side roads are a mess. Mr. M managed to get into town and back, though, and he has only front-wheel drive.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2020, 06:51:04 pm »
I bought mine around 1990 and schlepped it from St. Louis to Pittsburgh to where we live now. It's a vital part of my well-being! The piano tuner said he waited until his wife came home with the SUV, so he made it here okay. The major roads are fairly clear, but side roads are a mess. Mr. M managed to get into town and back, though, and he has only front-wheel drive.

Yay for you!!  I bought mine back in the mid 80's an old Wurlitzer spinet upright....when we moved hubby did buy me a Roland electric piano that has the sound and almost feel of a regular piano ... it died last year and I called to see what it would cost to get it fixed -- I was told that it would cost almost the same as buying a new piano of the updated version.  I need to spend the $$ on other things right now and didn't play as often as I used to anyways. 

Playing the piano is great for the mind and soul.

Enjoy your newly tuned piano!!!     happy77
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2020, 07:00:26 pm »
I bought a Yamaha electric piano a few years ago, but my sister told me I should have paid a little more for one that has the same "touch" on the keys as a real piano. I can see the benefit of that, especially if you don't have an actual piano in the house. Still happy to have the Kawai console (listening to the tuner plinking away on the keys at this very minute), though.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2020, 12:49:25 am »
I bought a Yamaha electric piano a few years ago, but my sister told me I should have paid a little more for one that has the same "touch" on the keys as a real piano. I can see the benefit of that, especially if you don't have an actual piano in the house. Still happy to have the Kawai console (listening to the tuner plinking away on the keys at this very minute), though.
I've played variants of both... but even the "touch" emulation never felt quite the same, and I really didn't feel that much of a difference compared to a cheaper electronic keyboard—and certainly not enough to justify the price difference.

(But Yamahas are nice. Their sound is so much better than a Casio... though to the Casio's credit, it's been a beast that is going on 18 years old now and still running, whereas the Yamaha died after a few years.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:03:12 am by jmyrlefuller »