Author Topic: House passes sweeping reform bill to decriminalize marijuana  (Read 4995 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: House passes sweeping reform bill to decriminalize marijuana
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2020, 04:31:12 am »
Dish it out, brother... Use the big shovel.  :beer:

Horizontal?

JUUUST kidding.

Vertical.

Yeah. The perpexuevacuator joy stick.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2020, 04:40:14 am »
Keep the people sedated and  pacified on drugs!  So they won't get unset with BIG BROTHER.  "1984".  OPIUM DENS IN CHINA.
Are that,  many people, needing to escape real life?   WHY? 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2020, 04:44:53 am »
Keep the people sedated and  pacified on drugs!  So they won't get unset with BIG BROTHER.  "1984".  OPIUM DENS IN CHINA.
Are that,  many people, needing to escape real life?   WHY?

People can and do deal with real life. It is they deem themselves lower than the people they elect.

History will make Frodo Gilgamesh.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:48:16 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2020, 04:52:57 am »
I'm the dumbass but you equate the weed with deadly poison...

Based on your logic, alcohol and cigarettes should be banned.

So who is the dumbass here?

Also just to pass you off, who's to say one can't kill themselves if they so desire? 

Which, to be clear, cant happen with weed

Are you that freakin' naive Junior?  Yeah, maybe MJ won't kill you,but let me share a little story from back in the mid 70's.

I was part of a group of friends, and we were all Pre-Med majors.  The brightest of our group was an absolute whiz and superstar.  He was a 4.0 student through 3 semesters, and had High Flying M.D, written all over him.  But guess what....  He started enjoying weed.  He started slow at first, but by a few months later he was doing it regularly.  He struggled with memory issues first, which is a killer in this field.  His motivation level also fell off drastically.  By the end of his 4th semester, he was failing in his Biology and Chemistry courses.  Finally, he changed to General Studies, and finally got his degree, but it was a sad example of what could have been.  And don't try the alcohol angle.  He drank with us regularly, before, but with no adverse impact on his studies.

So...   why fully legalize another vice that is a detriment to society?  Kiddo...  you got a hell of a lot of growing up to do, before discussing the life long impacts of vices, and their implications in life.  It's a slippery slope indeed.

OTOH, I have no problem with Cannabis medical use for pain, Chemo nausea, etc. This is another matter and acceptable manner of use.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2020, 05:04:35 am »
I walked away when I was 11 years old. It took my stupid at ELEVEN Years before I understood that peeple did understand. They just didn't care.

Nothing has changed. My robot thread. Just more magik.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2020, 05:04:48 am »
Are you that freakin' naive Junior?  Yeah, maybe MJ won't kill you,but let me share a little story from back in the mid 70's.

I was part of a group of friends, and we were all Pre-Med majors.  The brightest of our group was an absolute whiz and superstar.  He was a 4.0 student through 3 semesters, and had High Flying M.D, written all over him.  But guess what....  He started enjoying weed.  He started slow at first, but by a few months later he was doing it regularly.  He struggled with memory issues first, which is a killer in this field.  His motivation level also fell off drastically.  By the end of his 4th semester, he was failing in his Biology and Chemistry courses.  Finally, he changed to General Studies, and finally got his degree, but it was a sad example of what could have been.  And don't try the alcohol angle.  He drank with us regularly, before, but with no adverse impact on his studies.

So...   why fully legalize another vice that is a detriment to society?  Kiddo...  you got a hell of a lot of growing up to do, before discussing the life long impacts of vices, and their implications in life.  It's a slippery slope indeed.

OTOH, I have no problem with Cannabis medical use for pain, Chemo nausea, etc. This is another matter and acceptable manner of use.

:thumbsup:   Some people have died from using WEED.  Their heart could not handle it. It is rare, but yes, some people can die from WEED.  Like any drug. 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2020, 05:06:55 am »

:thumbsup:   Some people have died from using WEED.  Their heart could not handle it. It is rare, but yes, some people can die from WEED.  Like any drug.

BTTT

Offline Knox27

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2020, 05:22:19 am »

Okay, he couldn't handle weed and school. Lets set policy based on him. 

give me a hundred examples of lives derailed by alcohol.

ill give you a hundred examples of lives derailed because good people had a record and couldn't get a job.

Anecdotal evidence, while it may hard hitting emotionally, is useless for policy. 

We are not the party of the nanny state telling you how big your soda can be.  The tens of millions of people that smoke are gonna continue.  And we can spend billions incarceration them and hurting their employment opportunities. Or we can wise up and life the federal laws that make, and I know you disagree, a harmless drug a crime.

Its a big weight holding American back and soon all but the most religious states will have legalized it.  Being against it is like being against interracial marriage. 

Offline Knox27

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2020, 05:22:56 am »

How many? More or less than die from bee stings?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2020, 06:00:39 am »

ill give you a hundred examples of lives derailed because good people had a record and couldn't get a job.

Anecdotal evidence, while it may hard hitting emotionally, is useless for policy. 

We are not the party of the nanny state telling you how big your soda can be.  The tens of millions of people that smoke are gonna continue.  And we can spend billions incarceration them and hurting their employment opportunities. Or we can wise up and life the federal laws that make, and I know you disagree, a harmless drug a crime.

Its a big weight holding American back and soon all but the most religious states will have legalized it.  Being against it is like being against interracial marriage.

Equating weed legalization with interacial marriage?  Way to derail your argument.  First, where did I say I wanted the stuff criminalized?  I never said that, and have never thought that.  Now legalization and proliferation are another thing.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2020, 06:03:34 am »
How many? More or less than die from bee stings?

How about how many deaths and injuries on the road due to impairment?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2020, 07:50:46 am »
Tried Pot one time and it scared the stew out of me.... I ran outside and finally collapsed. I finally gained my composure and went inside and slept for nearly 24 hours.

Wife got T-boned on Dec. 24th 2011 with my two youngest kids inside. Then they were spun in the other lane of traffic and hit again. Young lady that hit her admitted smoking pot. Kids were ok, wife spent Christmas in the hospital. I fret remembering this every Christmas.

Not harmless, nearly ended up killing most everything I love (including myself). Talk about them losing work, well I had rather they lose work than drive that Hyster around me all day at work.

@Knox27

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 07:55:18 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2020, 08:45:00 am »
Having seen the effects on a city has legalized marijuana...this is the dumbest move ever.
Denver blues...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2020, 08:46:53 am »

It's bad enough sharing the highway with bozos who can't put their phone down and drive.

But distracted and high?

Oh sh*t.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2020, 08:55:47 am »
How about how many deaths and injuries on the road due to impairment?

So you favor banning alcohol?

Why not respect personal liberty?    If I drive drunk (or stoned), throw the book at me.   But don't punish responsible adults just to get at the irresponsible ones.   That's liberal logic - look no further than the calls to take your guns.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2020, 10:57:04 am »
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2020, 01:20:20 pm »
It's bad enough sharing the highway with bozos who can't put their phone down and drive.

But distracted and high?

Oh sh*t.

Was thinking the same.  Already sharing the highway with drinkers and texters....  and now stoners? 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2020, 01:30:30 pm »
So you favor banning alcohol?

Why not respect personal liberty?    If I drive drunk (or stoned), throw the book at me.   But don't punish responsible adults just to get at the irresponsible ones.   That's liberal logic - look no further than the calls to take your guns.   

No I don't favor banning alcohol.  But do you understand how ridiculous  you sound saying a MJ prohibition is liberal logic? It is the liberals who are screaming for its legaization.  I have already said I support decriminalization, but you failed to see the point  of keeping a substance that impairs young brain development out the hands of those who may abuse it.  And that is the same demographic who will most likely get in a car baked, and commit traffic disasters like what you see with Sighlass above.

What you call liberal logic is common sense human behavior.

And then say taking the analogy of "Taking Guns"?  Now you are just downright silly.  Can you hear Jazzy?   Help...They're coming to get my bongs!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:33:23 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2020, 01:46:56 pm »
Don't bother the driver while they are drinking. That is the majority cause of alcohol related crashes.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2020, 01:54:19 pm »
No I don't favor banning alcohol.  But do you understand how ridiculous  you sound saying a MJ prohibition is liberal logic? It is the liberals who are screaming for its legaization.  I have already said I support decriminalization, but you failed to see the point  of keeping a substance that impairs young brain development out the hands of those who may abuse it.  And that is the same demographic who will most likely get in a car baked, and commit traffic disasters like what you see with Sighlass above.

What you call liberal logic is common sense human behavior.

And then say taking the analogy of "Taking Guns"?  Now you are just downright silly.  Can you hear Jazzy?   Help...They're coming to get my bongs!!!!!!!

Conservative logic:  Punish those who misuse guns,  but don't mess with the liberties of the law abiding.

Liberal logic:   Guns are the problem.  Ban 'em, and to hell with individual liberty

Liberal logic is to ban weed because of the relative few who would abuse it.   I say let adults make their own decisions,  and punish only those who misuse marijuana.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2020, 02:04:13 pm »
Apropos of nothing there is a 500% increase sales of flasks.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2020, 02:06:17 pm »

‘This Just Isn’t A Good Bill:’ Rep. Conor Lamb Explains No Vote On Decriminalizing Marijuana
December 5, 2020 at 3:54 am
By: KDKA-TV News Staff

WASHINGTON (KDKA) – On Friday in Washington, the United States House of Representatives made history.

A bill was passed that would end the federal ban on marijuana.  ...

All Pennsylvania Republicans voted no, except for Guy Reschenthaller, who did not vote.

Local Democrats were split – Mike Doyle voted yes and Conor Lamb voted no, along with five other Democrats.

“This just isn’t a good bill,” Rep. Conor Lamb said. “I don’t say that because of the issue of marijuana, I actually support marijuana decriminalization if done in a careful way. We should start with medical marijuana and make sure there are good rules in effect, so that people are protected from substances that maybe aren’t good, that kids are protected, all that kind of stuff.”

Lamb went on to explain his opposition as taking a popular idea too far.

“What this bill was, was your classic Washington example, and unfortunately something that is way too common these days, of taking a pretty decent idea and just rushing all the way to the extremes with it,” Lamb explained.  ...
KDKA

Rather shocking. A Democrat who actually read the bill.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2020, 02:10:16 pm »
Conservative logic:  Punish those who misuse guns,  but don't mess with the liberties of the law abiding.

Liberal logic:   Guns are the problem.  Ban 'em, and to hell with individual liberty

Liberal logic is to ban weed because of the relative few who would abuse it.   I say let adults make their own decisions,  and punish only those who misuse marijuana.

You've obviously skipped through most of this thread, and ignored what it does to mostly youngsters in the points of motivation, effect on developing brains, and the fact kids are the most likely to get in a car and drive stoned.  Your opinion promotes an additonal vice in this country, that it really doesn't need.  Wonder, if you'll have the same opinion when some stoner T-bones you after he's eaten a couple dozen MJ edibles.

Because you just don't get it.  Years ago, we just had to worry about drinkers on the road.  15 years ago?  Add Texters,   and now Stoners?  Risk of these bad behaviors is cumulative, not singularly independent.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2020, 02:13:16 pm »

My objections to recreational weed are simple.

There is no established 'norm' by which to measure intoxication quantitatively. (BAC .08% with alcohol)
There is not relatively fast test by which such blood intoxicant levels can be measured, and no way to determine driver levels of impairment objectively, aside from behavioural observations.
Unlike alcohol, very little active ingredient regulated supply exists, and predicting the effect of any given dose is simply not possible, nor the exact effect of that dose, even on the same individual.
Alcoholic beverages have a single active ingredient, Marijuana has more than one, complicating the above.

So determining who is actively misusing the substance is sometimes problematical, especially in the case of 'edibles'.

Despite understanding the effects of and regulating against the use of alcohol and motor vehicles, the problem persists, with lethal results. A disincentive to operating a vehicle under the influence of pot is the additional charge(s) possible from the drug itself. Simply enough, let's not unleash another (legal) intoxicant on the highways.

People exercise incredibly poor judgement under the influence of either, one is enough.
There is an experiment in play, where (iirc) all drugs were decriminalized in state law, let's see how that plays out.

(Besides, stoned people are more easily manipulated). (Soma, for those who read Brave New World).

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2020, 02:13:59 pm »
Cannabis Cultivation Laws: State-by-State Marijuana Growing Guide

https://potguide.com/blog/article/cannabis-cultivation-laws-state-by-state/

Home cannabis cultivation is a hot topic across the country. As legal access to medical and recreational marijuana slowly spreads, citizens find themselves with more of an opportunity to grow their own pot. It can be tough to find all the state cannabis cultivation laws though, so we made this helpful guide for interested growers to quickly and easily reference the legal framework and regulations in their state.

Browse below to view the legal status of home growing cannabis in all 50 American states and the District of Columbia.

Why should Marijuana continue to be prohibited at the Federal level when state after state is legalizing Marijuana?