Author Topic: Get Ready for Nationwide Blackouts under Biden  (Read 2817 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Get Ready for Nationwide Blackouts under Biden
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 07:40:34 am »
North Dakota is a net exporter, too.
Just as the Ukraine was of grain. (yep, we export a lot of that, too)
That didn't stop the Lysenkoists under Stalin from perpetrating the Holdomor, either. Unfortunately, that's what I see for the future, "for the greater good" those who produce will be stripped of that production and left to scratch for themselves.

Funny how that is the end of a nation that fails to follow Yah. I have come to see that as being quite mechanical... By not defending the things of Yahweh, the good things, it eventually winds up in support of the things of chaos... and someone else eating the bounty off your table that you worked so hard for... It ends in a people groaning under slavery, and that is the road we are on, without repentance.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 07:46:34 am »
Funny how that is the end of a nation that fails to follow Yah. I have come to see that as being quite mechanical... By not defending the things of Yahweh, the good things, it eventually winds up in support of the things of chaos... and someone else eating the bounty off your table that you worked so hard for... It ends in a people groaning under slavery, and that is the road we are on, without repentance.
Slaves revolt.

And the wheel turns again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 07:50:31 am »
Slaves revolt.

Only with the blessing of heaven... Yahweh is the author of Liberty... There is only one way to have it and keep it.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2020, 08:00:13 am »
Only with the blessing of heaven... Yahweh is the author of Liberty... There is only one way to have it and keep it.
:beer:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 11:01:31 am »
Nightfall restricts solar power?  They just now figured that out?

They must have been watching famous weather forecaster Al Sleet reporting on just that fact.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 02:32:30 pm »
:silly:
You don't know me that well, so I'll lay off the lady-boy joke that immediately came to mind...

Sure just plant it out there for the rednecks to deal with... That's the ticket...

Nope. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. If you can't fix it when it messes up, then better not to mess with it at all.

After all, what could possibly go wrong, right?

This conversation about nuclear waste would be different had Harry Reid not cancelled the Yucca Mountain project before it was completed.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 03:27:08 pm »
Nationwide blackout???  Lol, Texas has its own power grid.
But not pipelines.

I remember way back in the 70s when FERC forced Texas to supply natural gas at unrealistically low prices through those pipelines to the northeast, while us Texans were forced to pay several times that amount for our own gas fuel.

And it was even worse for oil.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2020, 03:57:47 pm »
This conversation about nuclear waste would be different had Harry Reid not cancelled the Yucca Mountain project before it was completed.   :shrug:

That may or may not be... But the lady-boy part of this conversation would remain the same.

Offline Knox27

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2020, 04:18:25 pm »
That may or may not be... But the lady-boy part of this conversation would remain the same.

Something are not influenced by politics

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 04:30:02 pm »

I think it would have changed the paradigms.  They weren't going to just bury the waste in a granite cavern to fob off on the rednecks of Nevada.

The plan was to first process the waste material by blending it into molten glass ingots to lock the radioactive particles far enough away from each other to inhibit reaching critical mass, and only then were they to go down the shaft for permanent storage.  Even if there's is an unexpected earthquake, the broken ingots would still be considered "safe." 

The volume of waste is not that great, but as long as we store it concentrated in drums at each nuclear plant, the alarmists will claim we're all going to die from radiation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 04:38:54 pm »
I think it would have changed the paradigms.  They weren't going to just bury the waste in a granite cavern to fob off on the rednecks of Nevada.

The plan was to first process the waste material by blending it into molten glass ingots to lock the radioactive particles far enough away from each other to inhibit reaching critical mass, and only then were they to go down the shaft for permanent storage.  Even if there's is an unexpected earthquake, the broken ingots would still be considered "safe." 

The volume of waste is not that great, but as long as we store it concentrated in drums at each nuclear plant, the alarmists will claim we're all going to die from radiation.

Well then I am an alarmist. I see no sense at all in supporting something with that sort of volatility and longevity in it's waste.

I propose we revisit big dams. The only real problem in them is damaged fisheries, which can easily be repaired. I am also a proponent of smaller stream-side dams for a more distributed system... It is literally free power with no waste... Perfectly suited for grid-distribution.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2020, 04:54:58 pm »
Slaves revolt.

Yes ... slaves revolt.  The locations of FEMA camps for imprisoning U.S. citizens was taken down years ago that circulated on on the internet. Whether or not that information was accurate is debatable, but many of those camps were in the locations of old military facilities that "W" decided to shutdown because they weren't being used.  Rumor at that time also speculated that, that is where the U.N. troops are being housed in order to assist with the collapse of our Republic and to put those revolting into the FEMA camps that were constructed.

Keep in mind, that Obammy was very vocal that he wanted a U.N. hub located in D.C. to assist in help with immigration.  Whether or not that hub actually exists, I have yet to find any answers.

So .... revolting and a revolution is possible.  Successful I'm not so sure.  It depends on how our current military, national guard and ex-military respond.   The British are coming?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2020, 10:59:44 pm »
Knox wrote:
"Its never gonna happen, especially after what transpired in Japan, but im a lone(ish) voice calling for ma lot of new nuclear power plants."

The "nuclear power generation" age is over, at least for the lifetimes of anyone reading this post.

It's "fossil fuels or bust" from here on in.

And with the democrat-communists "green new deal", sounds like "bust" to me.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2020, 11:31:52 pm »
"Its never gonna happen, especially after what transpired in Japan, but im a lone(ish) voice calling for ma lot of new nuclear power plants."

More nukes, less kooks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Knox27

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »
Knox wrote:

The "nuclear power generation" age is over, at least for the lifetimes of anyone reading this post.

It's "fossil fuels or bust" from here on in.

And with the democrat-communists "green new deal", sounds like "bust" to me.

You're likely right about nuclear power for my lifetime.  But even with biden, oil isn't going away any time soon.  Coal is dead, but no one could save coal anyway.  No one wants to outside west Virginia at any rate.  But the green new deal is all talk from the left wing of the party and I think can be ignored.

Havibg said that, for me personally I live in florida. FPL had quite a racket going but its now cost effective to get solar and start seeing a profit in 7 or so years.  The question is how much longer can I stay here and put off my fantasy of living in tahiti running a small bar?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2020, 12:18:18 am »
You're likely right about nuclear power for my lifetime.  But even with biden, oil isn't going away any time soon.  Coal is dead, but no one could save coal anyway.  No one wants to outside west Virginia at any rate.  But the green new deal is all talk from the left wing of the party and I think can be ignored.

Havibg said that, for me personally I live in florida. FPL had quite a racket going but its now cost effective to get solar and start seeing a profit in 7 or so years.  The question is how much longer can I stay here and put off my fantasy of living in tahiti running a small bar?

I live in FL as well and I know a couple that has a home completely run on solar and FPL is now paying them back for power.

I don't know if it still holds true, but I believe you get a tax credit for installing solar. 

We moved into a pretty energy efficient home (so far only been in our home 2 years) and our highest electric bill has been about $145.00.  So, I don't think we'd recoup the cost of solar for quite awhile. 

Water is what is expensive around here --- you have to hook up to city water and sewer which is running now around $25,000 per lot and our water bill, just for the two of us if over $80.00/mo.  The water tastes horrible; better with a filter and that's what I cook with, but I wind up buying bottled water to drink.  Definitely one thing I miss about being up north; cold well water.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Knox27

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2020, 12:27:28 am »
I live in FL as well and I know a couple that has a home completely run on solar and FPL is now paying them back for power.

I don't know if it still holds true, but I believe you get a tax credit for installing solar. 

We moved into a pretty energy efficient home (so far only been in our home 2 years) and our highest electric bill has been about $145.00.  So, I don't think we'd recoup the cost of solar for quite awhile. 

Water is what is expensive around here --- you have to hook up to city water and sewer which is running now around $25,000 per lot and our water bill, just for the two of us if over $80.00/mo.  The water tastes horrible; better with a filter and that's what I cook with, but I wind up buying bottled water to drink.  Definitely one thing I miss about being up north; cold well water.

I'm in miami beach and honestly the water is pretty good!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2020, 12:34:43 am »

You are very fortunate.

Offline Knox27

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 12:36:32 am »
You are very fortunate.

Coming to south beach was 100 percent the best thing I've ever done!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2020, 12:43:42 am »
But not pipelines.

I remember way back in the 70s when FERC forced Texas to supply natural gas at unrealistically low prices through those pipelines to the northeast, while us Texans were forced to pay several times that amount for our own gas fuel.

And it was even worse for oil.
Like Stalin seizing the grain from the Ukrainians...

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2020, 12:51:52 am »

Cores a colleague examined from that project contained severely fractured rock. The site is questionable, geologically, and only 'liked' because so much is so far away from it. As far as storing material for 10,000 years, meh. Climates change (a fact, or where I sit would be under a considerable slab of ice), and a wet climate would percolate rainwater through that site like bourbon through crushed ice.

IIRC, they sure spent a lot of money designing warning signs on promotions and stuff, though. (I wonder if that still smells like laundry soap).

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2020, 01:04:30 am »
You are very fortunate.

We live in a free state.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2020, 01:08:31 am »

I am paying around $50 per month for electricity... So you think it would take YOU a while to pay it off?  I don't think mine will pay off... It would be cheaper for me to stay on the grid.

But where I am going, electric grid just ain't an option. The cost of getting a wire up to the property dwarfs the cost invested in solar and water turbine...

In the end, I will be between 15 and 20k invested, Though I don't really know where that winds up exactly, because I am only buying 1/3rd of my actual system now - the other 2/3rds being kinda crappy. The good part, I intend to get 15 years out of, trouble free. This is top of the line. Another third is midrange stuff I want 10 years out of... And the last third is crap that only needs to run for 5 years...

That saves me off the bat, but it is designed to stretch out the warrantable time frame of the system at large, and make replacement less shocking... In five years I will have a six-grand hit... and five years later the same... much easier to handle that than have the whole thing starting to fail in 15 to 20 years, and I have to shell out the whole thing again.

What is tough off the get-go is the fabrication to support the solar - I have chosen three 'flower' formations that will retract into the 'single leaf' under snow load or during storms or high wind. And the whole thing on an axial rotor that must not only deploy and retract, but also follow the sun across the sky, both vertically and horizontally, providing best exposure when I do have sun. Right now, that fabrication is the heartache and the headache... and the prototype is costing me way more than I'd hoped.

Just wait till I get my wind project going... That one is another whole thing altogether.

Free, crystal clear artesian water... from less than a quarter mile away... And so cold it hurts your throat to drink it from the tap...  :beer: Of course it's got a high mineral content, so you'd have to be alright with water spots.  :laugh:

You can take the gal out of the mountains, but you can't take the mountains out of the gal.   :seeya:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2020, 01:17:27 am »
But the green new deal is all talk from the left wing of the party and I think can be ignored.

^This

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2020, 03:06:11 am »
I am paying around $50 per month for electricity... So you think it would take YOU a while to pay it off?  I don't think mine will pay off... It would be cheaper for me to stay on the grid.

But where I am going, electric grid just ain't an option. The cost of getting a wire up to the property dwarfs the cost invested in solar and water turbine...

In the end, I will be between 15 and 20k invested, Though I don't really know where that winds up exactly, because I am only buying 1/3rd of my actual system now - the other 2/3rds being kinda crappy. The good part, I intend to get 15 years out of, trouble free. This is top of the line. Another third is midrange stuff I want 10 years out of... And the last third is crap that only needs to run for 5 years...

That saves me off the bat, but it is designed to stretch out the warrantable time frame of the system at large, and make replacement less shocking... In five years I will have a six-grand hit... and five years later the same... much easier to handle that than have the whole thing starting to fail in 15 to 20 years, and I have to shell out the whole thing again.

What is tough off the get-go is the fabrication to support the solar - I have chosen three 'flower' formations that will retract into the 'single leaf' under snow load or during storms or high wind. And the whole thing on an axial rotor that must not only deploy and retract, but also follow the sun across the sky, both vertically and horizontally, providing best exposure when I do have sun. Right now, that fabrication is the heartache and the headache... and the prototype is costing me way more than I'd hoped.

Just wait till I get my wind project going... That one is another whole thing altogether.

Free, crystal clear artesian water... from less than a quarter mile away... And so cold it hurts your throat to drink it from the tap...  :beer: Of course it's got a high mineral content, so you'd have to be alright with water spots.  :laugh:

You can take the gal out of the mountains, but you can't take the mountains out of the gal.   :seeya:
Solar is a non-starter at this latitude, with the lowest sunlight period of 8 hours during the dead of winter, when energy is needed most. Considering the angle the sunlight hits the array is important as well, with the sun low on the horizon in winter, that means near vertical arrays (otherwise known in nautical terms as "sails"). A 'breezy' day here has 15 mph, a windy one upwards of 35 with gusts at 50+. just keeping that setup together would require sacrifice of efficiency or seriously strong and expensive mounts.
Wind has possibilities here, but again, there is sometimes too much of a 'good' thing. One turbine 'melting down' could start off a prairie fire that would burn off thousands of acres of prairie with the wrong conditions (dry, high biomass) and a strong wind. But we have oil, gas, and coal in abundance.

C S Lewis