Author Topic: How The Once Elusive Dream Of Laser Weapons Suddenly Became A Reality  (Read 196 times)

rangerrebew

How The Once Elusive Dream Of Laser Weapons Suddenly Became A Reality

One of Lockheed Martin's top directed energy minds explains how breakthroughs in communications and industrial tech made laser weapons possible.
ByTyler RogowayNovember 25, 2020

The War ZoneMust Read Features

Tyler RogowayView Tyler 
Aviation_Intel

After decades of toiling and dead-ends, the dream of operational laser weaponry is about to become a reality. So, what changed that made what had been bulky systems go from clumsy pipe dreams to hardened, miniaturized, and reliable weapons that will be able to be deployed even in the harshest of conditions?

We recently had an in-depth interview with Dr. Rob Afzal, Lockheed Martin Senior Fellow, Laser and Sensor Systems, where I pressed him on everything related to laser weaponry and the emerging military applications that go along with it. In the course of answering my maelstrom of queries, Dr. Afzal eloquently conveyed how we have suddenly arrived in an era where laser weapons will become widespread across the battlefield. In this first piece in our two-part series with Lockheed's directed energy guru, I wanted to share his explanation with you, as it is fascinating in its own right.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37775/how-the-once-elusive-dream-of-laser-weapons-suddenly-became-a-reality