Author Topic: Food tips  (Read 2910 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Food tips
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 12:25:31 am »
Yes that is how I make my lentil soup. Ham chopped and kielbasa.  Then a batch of spinach, at the end.  Very nutritious and lentils pick up the meat taste.  There is also a plain lentil soup, but I don't care so much for that.  Mom did a Leek soup. Leeks, parsnip, carrots, potatoes. Then add some evaporated milk. Like a vegetable dish. Good way to get in some nutrition, if lacking vegetables.

It is strange for me... Not having a woman around, I tend to make things  that are more hearty than soup... A stew or a chili... But I will say I miss a woman's touch in the kitchen. Things more delicate than the rough fare I tend to... Soups being a part of that.  :beer:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 12:25:38 am »
This is a good one. I do like bananas 🍌

Thank you.

Put some frozen bananas in blender, you will have banana "ice cream".   Frozen cantaloupe works too.  I made a home made  yogurt, which I freeze,(made from dried milk)  then add a splash of apple juice, with frozen red raspberries. I LOVE IT.  FROZEN RASPBERRY ICE CREAM. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:26:38 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 12:39:20 am »
It is strange for me... Not having a woman around, I tend to make things  that are more hearty than soup... A stew or a chili... But I will say I miss a woman's touch in the kitchen. Things more delicate than the rough fare I tend to... Soups being a part of that.  :beer:

Thank you.  My soups are ALL hearty!  More like a stew.  Chicken soup has some chicken and homemade dumplings.  Something like Matzo balls but finer grade of meal. Then I add some chopped, cooked celery, from the initial soup cooking. Just for some extra body, and no can can really tell, and I don't waste.  I do freeze some plain chicken broth, if I get sick, or then I can make fresh dumplings. Very easy. A gourmet dumpling is puree chicken liver with onions, then mix with egg and Farina.  Gently put in hot chicken soup. Not boiling, they will fall apart. I use green onions, as I like that better than the plain yellow onion.  When one is the cook, one can do as SHE pleases!  Ha! 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2020, 12:44:48 am »
That's about right... We do the same with eggplant, though just peeled, coined (1/4 inch or less) dunked in egg wash and then through seasoned flour... Throw that down in a iron skillet in a good amount of butter or oil (just shy of enough to cover)

We serve open face on white buttered bread, with too much salt... And a big slice of tomato on top, if you have em.' :beer:

Same with Zucchini.  I just bread them the same way. I've made fried green tomatoes.  Little tangy as tomatoes are green. lol.  I didn't know there was a recipe for all these items.  PIONEER WOMAN...just uses, flour, egg, bread crumbs or cornmeal.  Nothing is measured.  Eye balled.  I am an OLDER pioneer woman.   :silly:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 12:46:31 am »
food tips: you know when you have a sandwhich with tomato's and it doesn't cover you bread, well fret no more. take cherry tomato's and put them in a food processor, then drain. now you have a tomato relish. you can also add spices to your liking.

Welcome.  I didn't mean to sound harsh.  You sound young, are you?  Keep up the good points. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 12:48:18 am »
Thank you.  My soups are ALL hearty!  More like a stew.  Chicken soup has some chicken and homemade dumplings.  Something like Matzo balls but finer grade of meal. Then I add some chopped, cooked celery, from the initial soup cooking. Just for some extra body, and no can can really tell, and I don't waste.  I do freeze some plain chicken broth, if I get sick, or then I can make fresh dumplings. Very easy. A gourmet dumpling is puree chicken liver with onions, then mix with egg and Farina.  Gently put in hot chicken soup. Not boiling, they will fall apart. I use green onions, as I like that better than the plain yellow onion.  When one is the cook, one can do as SHE pleases!  Ha!

HAHAHA! See, you've proved my point in that 'delicate' part... Didn't necessarily mean dainty...  But them dumplings are a far cry from mine, which are made from my standard biscuit, or even my bannock (Indian fry-bread) recipe... Nothing so grand as you describe (which are delicious, I am sure).

Just bust em up, throw em in, and when they sink they're done.  :laugh:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 01:00:45 am »
I'm stuck on simple sourdough dumplings. They don't sink though. The contents of my soup pot will be covered in dumplings. They all disappear though. The next day I'll just make up more dumplings for the pot.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2020, 01:05:39 am »
HAHAHA! See, you've proved my point in that 'delicate' part... Didn't necessarily mean dainty...  But them dumplings are a far cry from mine, which are made from my standard biscuit, or even my bannock (Indian fry-bread) recipe... Nothing so grand as you describe (which are delicious, I am sure).

Just bust em up, throw em in, and when they sink they're done.  :laugh:

Whatever works.  That hard tack.   888high58888

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2020, 01:08:51 am »
I'm stuck on simple sourdough dumplings. They don't sink though. The contents of my soup pot will be covered in dumplings. They all disappear though. The next day I'll just make up more dumplings for the pot.

I keep on almost committing to sourdough. I get a good starter cooking and I will get out a month or so... But being by myself, It takes too much to keep the starter in equilibrium... By the time I am a month in, and things are getting stable, I have too much to use up. Haven't got the knack of keeping it alive in smaller doses. Especially in the winter time,when the house gets cool.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 01:09:00 am »

Nice.  Whatever one is used to.  I do old world cooking.  That is what my mom and grandmother did. Now, they call it 'gourmet'.   :laugh:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 01:11:23 am »
Whatever works.  That hard tack.   888high58888

LOL! Yeah well, I eat a lot of hard tack, so, if that was meant as a poke at me it went right over my head.  :beer:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2020, 01:36:21 am »
LOL! Yeah well, I eat a lot of hard tack, so, if that was meant as a poke at me it went right over my head.  :beer:

No, not an attack.  Just quick speak.  Your Indian fry bread and I know you make hardtack. I remembered. Just remembering about your use of hard tack.    Nothing nasty meant.   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I used to make Indian fry bread too.  5 years living in New Mexico. It was great, for cheap treat with honey.  Young married couple. Watching our pennies.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2020, 01:42:01 am »
Just a note on freezing bananas...

Once a banana acquires a brown speck on the skin, walk to the trash...open...and toss.

Be sure to empty the trash in less than twelve hours for the stink is worse than spoiled chicken.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2020, 02:02:39 am »

Once a banana acquires a brown speck on the skin, walk to the trash...open...and toss.

Be sure to empty the trash in less than twelve hours for the stink is worse than spoiled chicken.

Even worse than rotten taters.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2020, 03:00:09 am »
No, not an attack.  Just quick speak.  Your Indian fry bread and I know you make hardtack. I remembered. Just remembering about your use of hard tack.    Nothing nasty meant.   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I used to make Indian fry bread too.  5 years living in New Mexico. It was great, for cheap treat with honey.  Young married couple. Watching our pennies.

Didn't take it as attack... Poke as in pokin fun... Didn't take it poorly.  :beer:

Bannock is the same recipe, if you can call it that, with a bit more baking powder and is more baked than fried - Made into a snake and wrapped around a stick over a fire, or baked in a covered iron pan... Raises more than frybread does.

But frybread is good too - I add water or milk to it to make it wet as a pancake batter... pour it into a buttered iron pan... and lay it out as flat and thin as can be... and on the flip, add meats, veggies and cheese to the top and cover... Makes a pretty mean pizza...

Or frybread proper, with cinnamon-sugar on the flip... more the tasty dessert treat y'all were speaking of... or rolled out super thin, laid up with cinnamon-sugar and rolled into small rolls (about the size of a cigar) and pan fried.... Sooo good!

Mamma used to save back some dough as frybread every time she baked... That's how I love it best... Just fried dough with cold butter on top, and maybe just a dash of maple or birch syrup. *BEST*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:01:10 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2020, 03:06:08 am »

You don't know what you're missing. Wait for em to dang near turn black and make em into banana bread. Such a sweet wonderful treat. Almost spoiled bananas always used to make me happy, because I knew what was coming next.  :beer:

They don't spoil around here. That kinda makes me sad.  :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2020, 02:18:40 pm »
You don't know what you're missing. Wait for em to dang near turn black and make em into banana bread. Such a sweet wonderful treat. Almost spoiled bananas always used to make me happy, because I knew what was coming next.  :beer:

They don't spoil around here. That kinda makes me sad.  :laugh:

I once knew a guy who would let bananas get that way, then he'd cut the tip off and suck them down like an Otter Pop.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2020, 02:21:35 pm »
I’m loving this thread. Thank you for thinking of it!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2020, 04:02:32 pm »
I once knew a guy who would let bananas get that way, then he'd cut the tip off and suck them down like an Otter Pop.

:3: Nope.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2020, 04:03:35 pm »
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2020, 04:09:14 pm »
That was my reaction, too.

But banana bread is awesome. Have mrs slippy make you some. You'll be a believer.