Author Topic: ‘Racist’ classics banned from schools: ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ ‘Huckleberry Finn,’ ‘Of Mice and Men  (Read 527 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
‘Racist’ classics banned from schools: ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ ‘Huckleberry Finn,’ ‘Of Mice and Men,’ and others
November 18, 2020 | Vivek Saxena

A number of classic novels that have long been a staple of school curriculum have been axed from California’s Burbank County because of concerns about racism.

“Until further notice, teachers in the area will not be able to include on their curriculum Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men, Theodore Taylor’s The Cay and Mildred D. Taylor’s Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry,” Newsweek confirmed late last week.

Four parents, three of them reportedly black, complained that the novels posed “potential harm” to the Burbank Unified School District’s 400 black students.

One of the black parents, Nadra Ostrom, reportedly claimed that the books’ portrayal of black people comes from only a white perspective.

“There’s no counter-narrative to this black person dealing with racism and a white person saving them,” she said, adding that the district’s curriculum was also giving the supposedly false impression “that racism is something in the past.”

Another black parent, Carmenita Helligar, claimed that one of her daughter’s white classmates learned the N-word from reading “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry,” and then used it against her.

“My daughter was literally traumatized. These books are problematic … you feel helpless because you can’t even protect your child from the hurt that she’s going through,” she said.

It’s not clear why she believes her daughter’s abuser could have only learned the word from the book …

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/11/18/racist-classics-banned-from-schools-to-kill-a-mockingbird-huckleberry-finn-of-mice-and-men-and-others-997531
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So many snowflakes and not enough sun light.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
‘Racist’ classics banned from schools: ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ ‘Huckleberry Finn,’ ‘Of Mice and Men,’ and others

Another black parent, Carmenita Helligar, claimed that one of her daughter’s white classmates learned the N-word from reading “Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry,” and then used it against her.

@mystery-ak

Are we REALLY supposed to believe ANY black child going to public school had NEVER heard the word "bleep" before reading Twain?

Seriously? It's practically a noun in "black world". Whole sentences start with "bleep,......."

Anybody that believes that crap either doesn't get out very much,or has never had any black friends.

Look at the above! Even the TBR software does a kneejerk edit of a one of the most used words in the English language,with no consideration at all for context.
@
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:48:58 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

More likely they learned it from crap music.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

More likely they learned it from crap music.

Oh, God, please, you haven’t heard much from me. But, if you can just do this one little thing ...BAN RAP! Enough is enough!

(Hey, Sinatra, could you put in a good word with the Big Guy?)

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Seriously?  "To Kill a Mockingbird" is "racist"?

It's about as strong of an expose and condemnation of racism as has ever been written!

The corruption of the "education" system is exceeded only by its STUPIDITY!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

It's about as strong of an expose and condemnation of racism as has ever been written!

@unite for individuality

Well,the bozo's that deemed it is racist are surely stupid.

I'd be willing to bet none of them even read it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

This is true, but as we all should know by now, facts don't matter.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

The children of the parents who are eliminating classic novels with  "racist" language/themes undoubtedly own and listen to numerous rap "songs" featuring the constant use of the n word and other scatological words and terms.

Offline libertybele

Well, it gets back to the need to come together and change the liberal mindset entrenched in our schools -- truth must be taught in school and our history must not be allowed to be erased -- Glenn Beck has started such a program .... I am going to look into it and see if there is some way in which I can participate.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

I read Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer when I was very young, 7 or 8. Whenever I saw the so-called "n word," I knew it wasn't something I ever should say to another person. But in the books' historical context - the 1840s or so - it made sense.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Today our kids will study and learn the famous Black authors.
Black poetry, like this. Black people are so deep and insightful.

(Like this)

Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
(Like this)

Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
(Like this)

(Like this)

(Like this)

Smack my bitch up

(Like this)

(Like this)

Smack my bitch up

(Like this)

(Like this)

Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
(Like this)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline verga

Well, it gets back to the need to come together and change the liberal mindset entrenched in our schools -- truth must be taught in school and our history must not be allowed to be erased -- Glenn Beck has started such a program .... I am going to look into it and see if there is some way in which I can participate.
Please post here when you find out about it or PM me.
Thank you.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

A number of classic novels that have long been a staple of school curriculum have been axed from California’s Burbank County because of concerns about racism.

I was looking for ther meme "OH no not this shit again."
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Got to realize this is the same crowd that tears down statues of Abolitonist in the name of BLM.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.