Author Topic: Boris Johnson pledges to ban gasoline car sales by 2030 as part of significant environmental plan  (Read 591 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Boris Johnson pledges to ban gasoline car sales by 2030 as part of significant environmental plan
Just the News, Nov 19, 2020

Britain will ban the sale of new gasoline and diesel cars by the year 2030, said prime minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday. The commitment expedites the date formerly set by the European country by a full decade.

Johnson committed to the date as a part of the "green industrial revolution," which he says could create as many as 250,000 clean energy jobs in the coming decade.

Car makers in Europe are dubious about the new target date. The original goal of 2040  was hardly tenable, in their view.

The government's plan will also mean heightened investments in hydrogen energy, wind energy, and carbon capture technology. Several new nuclear power plants are also part of the plan.

"Although this year has taken a very different path to the one we expected, I haven't lost sight of our ambitious plans to level up across the country. Our green industrial revolution will be powered by the wind turbines of Scotland and the North East, propelled by the electric vehicles made in the Midlands and advanced by the latest technologies developed in Wales, so we can look ahead to a more prosperous, greener future," said Johnson in a statement.

https://justthenews.com/world/europe/boris-johnson-pledges-ban-gasoline-car-sales-2030-part-significant-environmental-plan

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What the hell happened to Boris?

Offline PeteS in CA

Well, with the distance from the south coast of Great Britain to the northern tip of Scotland being on the order of 600 miles, it's different from crossing the US on I-80 or I-10. That said, all-electric cars may never achieve the full utility of a conventional car. They also will present a massive load increase on the UK's electrical grid.

If the UK government tries to force this it won't go well.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Time to invest in bicycle stock, for surely 80% of the population will no longer be able to afford cars.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, with the distance from the south coast of Great Britain to the northern tip of Scotland being on the order of 600 miles, it's different from crossing the US on I-80 or I-10. That said, all-electric cars may never achieve the full utility of a conventional car. They also will present a massive load increase on the UK's electrical grid.

You can fit that in Montana on US2, from East to West.

All this will do is place old cars at a premium, like class III firearms in the US after Daddy Bush's restrictions on new machine guns.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

I doubt the goal of this is to promote electric cars.
I am fairly sure the real 'hidden' objective is to push the population onto buses and trains.
Should this actually happen, private automobiles in GB will become an anomaly.
The bus/rail/public transit systems will likely expand to accommodate travel from London to Edinburgh and all points in between. The ultimate goal is not to transition from one type of auto to another. The goal is to eliminate private automobiles altogether by making them impossible to purchase and maintain through taxes, fees, and other penalties.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

This is going to be fun to watch.

From a distance.

Lots of people's standard of living is going to decline significantly.

Offline Smokin Joe

I doubt the goal of this is to promote electric cars.
I am fairly sure the real 'hidden' objective is to push the population onto buses and trains.
Should this actually happen, private automobiles in GB will become an anomaly.
The bus/rail/public transit systems will likely expand to accommodate travel from London to Edinburgh and all points in between. The ultimate goal is not to transition from one type of auto to another. The goal is to eliminate private automobiles altogether by making them impossible to purchase and maintain through taxes, fees, and other penalties.
Should this happen, private automobiles will be for the elite, and not the 'penny stinkers'. How Soviet of them.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"Should this happen, private automobiles will be for the elite, and not the 'penny stinkers'. How Soviet of them."

We'll find that out right here for ourselves soon enough. Maybe even in your lifetime.

One of the ambitions of the American communists will be to make it difficult or near-impossible for ordinary citizens to travel freely. Even on "public transportation"...

Offline Smokin Joe

Smokin' Joe wrote:
"Should this happen, private automobiles will be for the elite, and not the 'penny stinkers'. How Soviet of them."

We'll find that out right here for ourselves soon enough. Maybe even in your lifetime.

One of the ambitions of the American communists will be to make it difficult or near-impossible for ordinary citizens to travel freely. Even on "public transportation"...
Already happening with the REAL ID bit. Without it you can't board a domestic flight after the cutoff date.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
UK is going Soviet for sure.  Classes will be the haves and the have nots.

It will take longer here in the USA, but we will follow right behind them, that is for certain.

If we end up with the GND, cows will be no longer for beef.  Damn those farts!  The horror of it all with Biden as POTUS. 

My wife spent the day with a retired friend of hers, both are physicians.  This friend went on at length about Trump being a dictator.  Uggh!  This is a highly intelligent woman on medicine, and a total moron on politics.  Too many folks like this in government!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

UK has been trying to ban it for years since it tacks on enough taxes to make gasoline prices +$6/gal.

I lived there in the early 80s and even then it was over $4/gal.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer each year produced his budget and each year recommended adding a pence or two of taxes on a pint of beer and gasoline until it reached ridiculous levels as is now.

So the Brits have always considered gasoline the same as beer as a sin tax to be rifled.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington