Author Topic: Seattle to allow a 'community panel' to determine sentencing for criminals  (Read 1279 times)

Online mountaineer

Seattle to allow a 'community panel' to determine sentencing for criminals
Instead of facing a judge or jury, an accused will be offered an alternative where a non-profit community panel will decide how they are to be held accountable for their crime.
Ari Hoffman
November 18, 2020 3:25 PM
On Tuesday the King County Council in Washington state voted to approve funding for a criminal justice "diversion" program that will let community groups—not judges or juries—decide what punishment, if any should be handed out for accused felons under the guise of ending racism and restorative justice.

The county council voted unanimously to approve the Community Restorative Pathways program and funded it for $12.59 million. The program is slated to begin in mid-2021 and be implemented no later than the start of 2022. The budget for the program comes from money that would have gone to the King County Sheriff's Office which is in the process of being defunded.

Instead of facing a judge or jury, juveniles and adults accused of a first-time, non-violent felony offense will be offered an alternative where a non-profit community panel will decide how the accused person can be held accountable for their crime. The plan does not address Sixth Amendment conflicts which ensures citizens the right to a speedy trial and an impartial jury of their peers. The community groups and panel members have not yet been specified. ...
More at the Post-Millennial
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Seattle to allow a 'community panel' to determine sentencing for criminals
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:25:02 pm »
I don't suppose that panel would include any victims.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 01:35:54 pm »
I don't suppose that panel would include any victims.
Nor anyone with a law enforcement background.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 01:54:13 pm »
Anyone in doubt what the make-up the panel would look like?

I didn't think so.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 01:31:17 am »
Don't worry, folks.
This is gonna work out GREAT.
For the criminals, that is...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:15:44 am »
Are they going to be traditional,and bring out the Guillotine and the screaming crowds,too?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 02:44:05 pm »
Are they going to be traditional,and bring out the Guillotine and the screaming crowds,too?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 02:03:03 pm »
(((Jason Rantz))) on KTTH Radio  @jasonrantz
8h
As the Seattle City Council voted to defund an already understaffed police dept., two people were stabbed mere blocks away.
The tragic irony is one victim, who died at the scene, was a case worker potentially like one the Council will send on 911 calls.
12:39 AM · Nov 24, 2020
Rantz: As Seattle City Council defunded police, two victims were stabbed nearby
By Jason Rantz
November 24, 2020 at 5:37 am

As the Seattle City Council voted to defund the police Monday, two victims were stabbed just blocks away. One of the victims died at the scene. A second was stabbed, by a stranger, in the neck.

The stabbings — the third in four days — spotlights a city spiraling out of control. As homicides soar and violent crime escalates, police staffing dwindles. And the council just made the situation worse.

It’s almost as if the council, blinded by ideology, is trying to cause further pain and suffering. ...

The 58-year-old suspect, formerly homeless, fled on foot before officers arrived. He was arrested later that afternoon, about an hour before the council approved a budget cut of 18% to the SPD. Among the cuts, the council will pursue a dangerous plan to have social workers respond to some 911 crisis calls.

The tragic irony is the victim was a case worker, potentially like one the council will send on 911 calls. Unarmed and untrained, they won’t have a chance to defend themselves against dangerous residents in crisis. ...
Full story at My Northwest

Offline Fishrrman

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 07:17:56 pm »
Christopher F. Rufo  @realchrisrufo
The Seattle City Council will consider legislation to provide blanket immunity to misdemeanor crimes to any person who suffers from poverty, homelessness, addiction, or mental illness.   
Here's how the legislation would work.

As a pretext, the councilmembers claim that "income inequality," "local law enforcement's killing of Black, Indigenous, and people of color," and "poverty, institutional racism, and systemic oppression" are the root causes of crime.

The legislation would exempt anyone with an addiction or mental health disorder from a wide range of crimes, including theft, assault, harassment, drug possession, property destruction, and indecent exposure.

The results would be disastrous. In 2019, the Seattle Police Department reported 50,609 thefts, assaults, property offenses, frauds, trespasses, and narcotic violations. If the ordinance passes, nearly all of these crimes could be permitted under law.
1:44 PM · Dec 4, 2020·

Twitter

The New Untouchables
Seattle policymakers want to provide the city’s underclass with blanket immunity for misdemeanor crime.
Christopher F. Rufo
December 3, 2020

In October, the Seattle City Council floated legislation to provide an exemption from prosecution for misdemeanor crimes for any citizen who suffers from poverty, homelessness, addiction, or mental illness. Under the proposed ordinance, courts would have to dismiss all so-called “crimes of poverty”—which, according to the city’s former public-safety advisor, would cover more than 90 percent of all misdemeanor cases citywide. In effect, the legislation would create a new class of “untouchables,” protected from consequences by the city’s powerbrokers.

This is the latest and most brazen effort in the city’s campaign to establish what might be called a “reverse hierarchy of oppression.” The underlying theory is that society has condemned the lower class to a life of poverty and stigma, which leads to addiction, madness, and indigence. The poor, in the logic of Seattle’s progressive elites, are thus forced to commit crimes—including violent crimes—to secure their very existence. Therefore, as society is the perpetrator of this inequality, the crimes of the poor must be forgiven. The crimes are transformed into an expression of social justice. ...
City Journal
1:44 PM · Dec 4, 2020·

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 11:15:56 pm »
Remember that video, a year back or so, called, "Seattle is Dying" ??

When this passes, it will be dead, quickly.

A city "without crime".
Because there won't BE any acts defined as "crimes" in Seattle...*

"War is peace".
"Freedom is slavery".
"Crime is liberty".

* The exception:
If you're white, and happen to say (or even think) the wrong things about "peoples of color", you'll be goin' to jail for a long time...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 11:29:09 pm »
The taxpayers are going to be forced to pay the bill for the perps restitution to the victim as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 12:07:43 am »
Christopher F. Rufo  @realchrisrufo
The Seattle City Council will consider legislation to provide blanket immunity to misdemeanor crimes to any person who suffers from poverty, homelessness, addiction, or mental illness.   
Here's how the legislation would work.

@mountaineer

I think the technical term for what is wrong with the peep-pulls of Seattle is "Bat Shit Crazy".

Hard to believe anybody THAT foolish can live long enough to get that old without setting themselves on fire while trying to light a joint.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 12:10:21 am »
The taxpayers are going to be forced to pay the bill for the perps restitution to the victim as well.

@txradioguy

The end result will be a LOAD of new Republican voters in Seattle by the time the next elections come around.

You can bet the council members will write in a TON of exemptions for themselves and their friends and relatives,leaving the unconnected working poor to pay ALL the bills.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 12:13:12 am »
@txradioguy

The end result will be a LOAD of new Republican voters in Seattle by the time the next elections come around.

You can bet the council members will write in a TON of exemptions for themselves and their friends and relatives,leaving the unconnected working poor to pay ALL the bills.

@sneakypete I hope you're right...especially for all the military in that area.  Bu Washington State from the Cascades to the Pacific are a lost cause.  The Eastern part of the state is a different matter...but King County is the San Francisco of the PNW.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 12:22:28 am »
@sneakypete I hope you're right...especially for all the military in that area.  Bu Washington State from the Cascades to the Pacific are a lost cause.  The Eastern part of the state is a different matter...but King County is the San Francisco of the PNW.

@txradioguy

Since I know practically nothing about that area,I bow to your superior knowledge.

One thing I do know that is pretty universal is that people,ALL people,tire quickly of being used,and it's not going to take long for working class people being forced to pay MUCH higher taxes to support the leftist fools before changes WILL be made.

The only real question is "peaceful,or not peaceful?"

Any time you cross human nature,sooner or later,you are going to lose,and NOBODY likes being played for a fool.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 12:25:06 am »
@txradioguy

Since I know practically nothing about that area,I bow to your superior knowledge.

One thing I do know that is pretty universal is that people,ALL people,tire quickly of being used,and it's not going to take long for working class people being forced to pay MUCH higher taxes to support the leftist fools before changes WILL be made.

The only real question is "peaceful,or not peaceful?"

Any time you cross human nature,sooner or later,you are going to lose,and NOBODY likes being played for a fool.

We're still a couple decades from Seattle/King County and the entire Seattle/Tacoma area reaching that point.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 01:02:27 am »
We're still a couple decades from Seattle/King County and the entire Seattle/Tacoma area reaching that point.

Seattle/king Co..and I say this from personal experience...is one of those sh*thole places that needs to be nuked from low earth orbit and turned into a sea of glass.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 01:03:59 am »
Seattle/king Co..and I say this from personal experience...is one of those sh*thole places that needs to be nuked from low earth orbit and turned into a sea of glass.

Well played sir...well played.   :beer:

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 01:07:27 am »
Well played sir...well played.   :beer:

When you look at the two shitholes.  It is hard to see a difference. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 01:11:19 am »
When you look at the two shitholes.  It is hard to see a difference.

And then there is Minneapolis...  888mouth

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 01:14:54 am »
And then there is Minneapolis...  888mouth

Okay..then make it 3 shitholes! :patriot:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 01:49:28 pm »
Ahem...

Is this where I ask for my Neutron Bombs?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley