Author Topic: Why is the GOP always on defense?  (Read 981 times)

Offline HighlyEsteemedSir

Why is the GOP always on defense?
« on: November 10, 2020, 02:38:21 am »
This is my first post.  Given that conservatives have been boxed out of many well known platforms, I'm grateful this forum exists.  I apologize to the moderators in advance if this topic belongs in a specific category.

My primary question is in the subject line.  Is this not the current way of things?

The Democrats understand and employ certain tactics few Republican politicians embrace.  Moreover, I think the GOP largely fails to recognize how effective these techniques are. 

I think this is a major tactical error President Trump and his campaign understood, but other Republicans in positions of power (congress, governors, state legislatures) do not.

I am not suggesting, of course, that Republicans violently riot, clash with police, or take a crap on the constitution when it is inconvenient then uphold it as the rule of law when it is.   

I do however, think that simply pointing out the double standard for conservative/Republican representation in the press and entertainment sources is insufficient to combat identity politics.

What's wrong with calling AOC an antisemitic bartender every day? 

Why don't we remind everyone that the Democrat party is the party of the Klan, Jim Crow and appointed a Klansman to the Supreme Court?

Why don't we instead of loosely linking Joe Biden to segregationists, simply call him a segregationist?

Why not point out that Robert Byrd, another Klansman, was the longest serving Senator and a Democrat?

Does anyone else share my assessment of the state of things?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:42:36 am by HighlyEsteemedSir »

Offline corbe

Re: Why is the GOP always on defense?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 02:48:39 am »
   First @HighlyEsteemedSir Welcome to TBR but, IMHO the people we need to convince that things are really, really f*cked up, this time, would not give us the time of day, unfortunately.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 03:01:03 am »
This is my first post.  Given that conservatives have been boxed out of many well known platforms, I'm grateful this forum exists.  I apologize to the moderators in advance if this topic belongs in a specific category.

My primary question is in the subject line.  Is this not the current way of things?

The Democrats understand and employ certain tactics few Republican politicians embrace.  Moreover, I think the GOP largely fails to recognize how effective these techniques are. 

I think this is a major tactical error President Trump and his campaign understood, but other Republicans in positions of power (congress, governors, state legislatures) do not.

I am not suggesting, of course, that Republicans violently riot, clash with police, or take a crap on the constitution when it is inconvenient then uphold it as the rule of law when it is.   

I do however, think that simply pointing out the double standard for conservative/Republican representation in the press and entertainment sources is insufficient to combat identity politics.

Why don't we remind everyone that the Democrat party is the party of the Klan, Jim Crow and appointed a Klansman to the Supreme Court?

Why don't we instead of loosely linking Joe Biden to segregationists, simply call him a segregationist?

Why not point out that Robert Byrd, another Klansman, was the longest serving Senator and a Democrat?

welcome to TBR

Yes I share your assessment of the state of things and more!

How did you find us btw?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 03:07:31 am »
   First @HighlyEsteemedSir Welcome to TBR but, IMHO the people we need to convince that things are really, really f*cked up, this time, would not give us the time of day, unfortunately.

They would, however, steal your watch....and wallet.....and your Air Jordans.....etc.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 03:08:48 am »

Thanks for the welcome!  I agree with you 100 %.  The Democrats do not try to convince Republicans, so why do Republicans attempt to use substantive debate or reason to convince Democrats or left leaning folks?  Attacking your opponent is about keeping them off balance and forcing them to respond to accusations.

It's the old "Rules for Radicals" playbook and it works very well.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 03:10:37 am »

Unfortunately, also @HighlyEsteemedSir , America's demise will be photographed and posted, endlessly.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 03:11:36 am »
welcome to TBR

Yes I share your assessment of the state of things and more!

How did you find us btw?

Believe it or not, I typed in "conservative forums" in google and it graciously allowed me the privilege of uncovering a right leaning gathering place. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 03:13:55 am »
Believe it or not, I typed in "conservative forums" in google and it graciously allowed me the privilege of uncovering a right leaning gathering place.

I haven't checked lately, surprised we are still there..lol
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 03:16:09 am »
    We cover the FULL SPECTUM of Conservatism here.  Great group of People, each and everyone.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 03:29:43 am »
    We cover the FULL SPECTUM of Conservatism here.  Great group of People, each and everyone.

I'm eager to find out about the extent of that spectrum.  Many Republicans I know do not immerse themselves in scholarship.  Of course, that is not a requirement to consider oneself conservative, but I think much of the "old fashioned" literature, such as Democracy in America by Alexis De Tocqueville, The True Believer by Eric Hoffer, The Federalist Papers and countless others help provide essential context.  One of the things I've realized is that the platform the Democrats run on is as old as dirt and too often a calamitous event must take place before the society in question recognizes in hindsight how dangerous it is.     

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 03:36:38 am »
I'm eager to find out about the extent of that spectrum.  Many Republicans I know do not immerse themselves in scholarship.  Of course, that is not a requirement to consider oneself conservative, but I think much of the "old fashioned" literature, such as Democracy in America by Alexis De Tocqueville, The True Believer by Eric Hoffer, The Federalist Papers and countless others help provide essential context.  One of the things I've realized is that the platform the Democrats run on is as old as dirt and too often a calamitous event must take place before the society in question recognizes in hindsight how dangerous it is.   

I think you will fit in here nicely..
Support the USO

Offline Absalom

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 03:56:37 am »
This is my first post.  Given that conservatives have been boxed out of many well known platforms, I'm grateful this forum exists.  I apologize to the moderators in advance if this topic belongs in a specific category.My primary question is in the subject line.  Is this not the current way of things?
What's wrong with calling AOC an anti-semitic bartender every day? 
Why don't we instead of loosely linking Joe Biden to segregationists, call him a segregationist?
`
-----------------------------------
A demurral.
The label conservative is so overused it has become a banality.
It represents a body of enduring principles, birthed in ancient times,
governing Man's conduct involving his attitudes and behaviors
throughout life; independent of economics, politics and religion.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 04:22:41 am »
-----------------------------------
A demurral.
The label conservative is so overused it has become a banality.
It represents a body of enduring principles, birthed in ancient times,
governing Man's conduct involving his attitudes and behaviors
throughout life; independent of economics, politics and religion.

True, if each individual were to write a one page essay containing the author’s notion of conservatism, there would likely be significant variations.  Nevertheless, a coalition of sorts clearly exists if those variations result in a large number of voters turning out for Republicans.  While that is wonderful for the formulation of the base, the politicians attempting to strengthen that group of people find themselves in a defensive posture more often that not, which ultimately harms the base.  I think the key is to remain on the offensive. 

AOC in my view, is an incredibly stupid person and yet it is lost on so many why she is effective.  She is immune to mockery and ridicule, because her base of support is totally insulated from the sensation.  Part of the reason for that is the Democrats absolutely fight for their constituency.  Generally, Republicans (politicians) fail to live up to expectations, do not stick together and the result is a base that can be dispirited, censored or made into a societal pariah.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:24:32 am by HighlyEsteemedSir »

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 04:29:38 am »
   My biggest fear, the GOP will continue to be sold to the highest bidder and can be had for practically a song, just look at 2016.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 04:48:43 am »
   My biggest fear, the GOP will continue to be sold to the highest bidder and can be had for practically a song, just look at 2016.

I can certainly appreciate that. I'm worried that many in society have confused liberty and equality when the two are irreconcilable.  The left clearly has no qualms about putting their thumbs on the scales for certain groups by leveraging manufactured injustices, while vilifying those they designate the perpetrators. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 04:57:20 am »

I'd add a few questions to your list @HighlyEsteemedSir  ---

Why do democrats stick together and Republicans/Conservatives create individual fiefdoms?

Why did Republicans/Conservatives ignore the President's clarion calls against universal mail-in ballots? Imagine where we'd be if the Republican/Conservative Party joined with the Republican state legislatures in the disputed swing states and fought a united legal war to prevent this travesty. Instead, those that did not laugh at the President's warnings, ignored them.

Why haven't Republicans/Conservatives pushed for legislation to end Section 230 and clip the power of Big Tech Companies who are so empowered they censor the President's twitter and facebook communications?

Why did/do Republican/Conservatives recoil in humiliation at the President's tweets when those tweets helped win 6 million additional votes?  Why do they care more about the opinions of MSNBCNNFOX than their constituents?

Welcome to TBR.   :beer:

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 05:08:52 am »
I'd add a few questions to your list @HighlyEsteemedSir  ---

Why do democrats stick together and Republicans/Conservatives create individual fiefdoms?

Why did Republicans/Conservatives ignore the President's clarion calls against universal mail-in ballots? Imagine where we'd be if the Republican/Conservative Party joined with the Republican state legislatures in the disputed swing states and fought a united legal war to prevent this travesty. Instead, those that did not laugh at the President's warnings, ignored them.

Why haven't Republicans/Conservatives pushed for legislation to end Section 230 and clip the power of Big Tech Companies who are so empowered they censor the President's twitter and facebook communications?

Why did/do Republican/Conservatives recoil in humiliation at the President's tweets when those tweets helped win 6 million additional votes?  Why do they care more about the opinions of MSNBCNNFOX than their constituents?

Welcome to TBR.   :beer:

Isn't it remarkable?  I have asked myself every single one of these questions and I can't understand it.  Does anyone believe if the state legislatures were comprised of Democrats and the State Supreme Court changed the election laws months before an election in favor of Republicans, they would simply pack up their toys and go home?  When the Republican state legislature can't even martial the effort to draw upon article II which confers powers exclusively on the legislature as it relates to election law, all we can do is lament the baseness of the lot and point out this obvious distinction between the two parties.  Everything you pointed out is spot on. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:17:45 am by HighlyEsteemedSir »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 02:40:33 pm »

True, if each individual were to write a one page essay containing the author’s notion of conservatism, there would likely be significant variations. 

Sometimes, you will encounter Briefers (that's us!) who will call all the rest of us "stupid" if we don't agree with his/her definition of "conservative."  That is a "personal attack" which is the most common Moderation Report we get. 

Even if they are not violating the rules, they often never explain their version of "conservative," just that yours isn't correct.  You sound ready for that! 

Welcome to TBR!©
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:42:05 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 02:57:01 pm »

True, if each individual were to write a one page essay containing the author’s notion of conservatism, there would likely be significant variations.  Nevertheless, a coalition of sorts clearly exists if those variations result in a large number of voters turning out for Republicans.  While that is wonderful for the formulation of the base, the politicians attempting to strengthen that group of people find themselves in a defensive posture more often that not, which ultimately harms the base.  I think the key is to remain on the offensive. 

AOC in my view, is an incredibly stupid person and yet it is lost on so many why she is effective.  She is immune to mockery and ridicule, because her base of support is totally insulated from the sensation.  Part of the reason for that is the Democrats absolutely fight for their constituency.  Generally, Republicans (politicians) fail to live up to expectations, do not stick together and the result is a base that can be dispirited, censored or made into a societal pariah.

I can write a one, very short, sentence that spells out my notion of Conservatism.

Strict adherence to the Constitution always!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 08:14:46 pm »

---------------------------------
Fair enough.
Yet I assert there are serious consequences in conflating Conservative Principles w/politics.
Consider the likes of Cato and his fellow Roman, Cicero, who proclaimed the vital
importance of civic virtue, self-knowledge and restraint, as critical virtues necessary to sustain the nation/state, allowing Rome to survive and thrive for 12 centuries; creating w/Greece, Western Civilization.
In the 18th century, John Locke and Edmund Burke asserted that the Natural Law, derived from logic/reason thru an examination of human nature, is the foundation of governance
and certainly not cultural/societal laws created from political argument.
Surely the Empires of Rome and Britain were the result of ideas and certainly not politics.
Are we not mired in our pervasive malaise because we no longer possess ideas grounded in
human nature, having abandoned the values/virtues of our Founders?
Ironically, the Southern Agrarian & Rural Democrats of Jefferson, Madison and Monroe was
our only Principled Conservative Party; sadly destroyed by slavery.
Our modern political parties are little more than shallow embarrassments, we sadly tolerate.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:51:28 am by Absalom »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 08:30:00 pm »

The GOP has ignored the very principles upon which this country was founded, trampled on the Constitution and tried to be more politically correct in the hopes of gaining more votes; quite the opposite has happened. They in essence cheapened the "GOP brand" and it got them absolutely nowhere vote wise and it also filled the Senate and House with a bunch of worthless RINOs.

IF Trump doesn't manage to somehow get re-elected, we will never see another GOP seated and we will have lost our Republic.

Once we hit socialism which is just around the corner under Biden, there is no turning back.  It will take a huge crusade of conservatives and a 3rd party .... maybe an impossibility in the long run.

If I haven't done so before, a very warm welcome to The Briefing Room.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 10:24:11 pm »
---------------------------------
Fair enough.
Yet I assert there are serious consequences in conflating Conservative Principles w/politics.
Consider the likes of Cato and his fellow Roman, Cicero, who proclaimed the vital
importance of civic virtue, self-knowledge and restraint, as critical virtues necessary to sustain the nation/state, allowing Rome to survive and thrive for 12 centuries and create, w/Greece, Western Civilization.
In the 18th century, John Locke and Edmund Burke asserted that the Natural Law, derived from logic/reason thru an examination of human nature, is the foundation of governance
and certainly not cultural/societal laws created from political argument.
Surely the Empires of Rome and Britain were the result of ideas and certainly not politics.
Are we not mired in our pervasive malaise because we no longer possess ideas grounded in
human nature, having abandoned the values/virtues of our Founders?
Ironically, the Southern Agrarian & Rural Democrats of Jefferson, Madison and Monroe was
our only Principled Conservative Party; sadly destroyed by slavery.
Our modern political parties are little more than shallow embarrassments, we sadly tolerate.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I have read Locke, Burke, Montesquieu and others who understood this.    The Framers clearly understood this.  The Declaration of Independence refers to "unalienable rights" and asserts that it is "self evident".   No doubt, we have strayed far away from the Founder's vision. 

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 11:17:47 pm »
The GOP has ignored the very principles upon which this country was founded, trampled on the Constitution and tried to be more politically correct in the hopes of gaining more votes; quite the opposite has happened. They in essence cheapened the "GOP brand" and it got them absolutely nowhere vote wise and it also filled the Senate and House with a bunch of worthless RINOs.

IF Trump doesn't manage to somehow get re-elected, we will never see another GOP seated and we will have lost our Republic.

Once we hit socialism which is just around the corner under Biden, there is no turning back.  It will take a huge crusade of conservatives and a 3rd party .... maybe an impossibility in the long run.

If I haven't done so before, a very warm welcome to The Briefing Room.

The specter of socialism, centralized planning or some other tyrannical imposition of Government is nothing new.  In a sense, this brings me comfort because the fight against such circumstances is as old as history and yet we’ve managed to not completely descend into chaos. I can imagine that in certain moments in history, many believed they were witnessing the last elements of liberty being stripped away and that all was lost.   I do believe we have entered into slippery territory, but I refuse to accept the notion that our demise is inevitable.  History did not begin today as the left would like us to believe.
To your point, The GOP is more than complicit in undermining our constitution framework.  Trying to play footsie with the Democrats is an incredibly stupid political strategy.  For the left, the constitution is nothing more than an inconvenient relic which is why they trivialize it.  It stands in the way of what they intend to do.  They say it is a “living breathing document” or assert that it is outmoded and must be made current with developments in society.  This is also why they dismiss the framers as racist and promote the idea that the country was founded on slavery.  After all, who would respect a document created by racists?

I think we have a very tough fight ahead, but I’m going to resist these degenerates until my mind and body can no longer serve in that capacity.  I suspect at least 71+ million of us will do the same. 

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm very impressed with everyone I've been able to speak with on this forum and I'm really looking forward to discussing the insights shared by this community as we try to navigate our way out of this mess.