Author Topic: Defense Attorney Claims Kamala Harris Both “Citizen” and “natural born Citizen”  (Read 624 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Post & Email 11/2/2020

Defense Attorney Claims Kamala Harris Both “Citizen” and “natural born Citizen”

BUT ARE THE TERMS SYNONYMOUS?

An attorney representing Democratic vice-presidential candidate Kamala Harris in a lawsuit filed by New York State citizen Robert Laity claimed in a recent filing that Harris is both a “citizen of the United States” and a “natural born Citizen,” as is constitutionally required for the presidency and vice-presidency.

The suit, filed in early September, plaintiff Laity claimed that Harris does not meet the constitutional requirements of the presidency and vice-presidency given that her parents were not U.S. citizens when she was born in Oakland, CA on October 20, 1964. Then both attending the University of California, Berkeley on student visas, Harris’s mother was a citizen of India and her father a citizen of Jamaica.

The term “natural born Citizen” appears once in our founding documents: Article II, Section 1, clause 5 of the U.S. Constitution, and is not defined. A reference to the term appears in a July 25, 1787 letter from future governor of New York and U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Jay to George Washington, who was chairing the constitutional convention which would replace the Articles of Confederation with the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

“Permit me to hint,” Jay wrote to Washington, “whether it would not be wise & seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government, and to declare expressly that the Command in chief of the american army shall not be given to, nor devolved on, any but a natural born Citizen.”

Article II, Section 1, clause 5 of the Constitution states:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

A modern interpretation of the founders’ intent is that anyone born in the United States is a “natural born Citizen,” as opposed to an immigrant who naturalizes to join the American community of citizens. A more historical approach is that a person’s birthplace alone does not determine his or her citizenship or whether or not he or she is “natural born” and eligible to the presidency. Germane to that argument is the citizenship of the parents at the time of the child’s birth.

More: https://www.thepostemail.com/2020/11/02/defense-attorney-claims-kamala-harris-both-citizen-and-natural-born-citizen/

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The Republicans should have been pushing this issue from the day she was nominated as a candidate.

They didn't.
And now look what we're gonna get.

Online rustynail

If we are naming her I have a few......

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Aw jeez, not The Post and E-Mail again...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline LegalAmerican

Well, defense attorney is LYING.  All demon-rats are delusional. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Aw jeez, not The Post and E-Mail again...

It is appalling to me that so many have so little regard for our Constitution!

There are damned good reasons why we should ensure that anyone who seeks the office of President or Vice President bears no allegiance to any country other than the United States of America.

It is impossible for anyone who is a naturalized citizen to meet that standard and Kamala herself has said that her citizenship status is naturalized.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LegalAmerican

It is appalling to me that so many have so little regard for our Constitution!

There are damned good reasons why we should ensure that anyone who seeks the office of President or Vice President bears no allegiance to any country other than the United States of America.

It is impossible for anyone who is a naturalized citizen to meet that standard and Kamala herself has said that her citizenship status is naturalized.

:thumbsup:

Offline verga

Some of the denizens of TOS tried to make the same case agaisnt Ted Cruz during the primaries last time around.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Some of the denizens of TOS tried to make the same case agaisnt Ted Cruz during the primaries last time around.
Cruz had one citizen parent. Kamala had none.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Cruz had one citizen parent. Kamala had has none.

Fixed it for you.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Fixed it for you.
Thanks. Sorry, been pretty tense lately, and that ain't pretty, so I haven't been around much.
I try to type and it all comes off my profanity keyboard... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis