Author Topic: A Charlie Brown Christmas removed from TV along w/other Peanuts specials UPDATED  (Read 3818 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Lily Munster or Morticia Adams?
@dfwgator
@Cyber Liberty
Reasons why The Addams Family was better than The Munsters.

Easy: the Addams Family had . . .

* A sexier mother figure.

* A funnier doorbell.

* A better playroom.

* A musical butler.

* A more stylish theme song.

* The Thing.

* More realistic house pets (Kitty the Lion, the piranha aquarium, Aristotle the octopus) than a glandular dragon that looked as mechanical as it was and a bat whose wings looked as though they operated with door hinges.

* A man-eating plant that preferred hamburger.

* Funnier relatives who were no more ripped off from campy old horror films than Gomez and Morticia and crew were.

* Cousin Itt fathered ZZ Top. (Prove me wrong!  wink777)

* Gomez Addams was a snappier dresser than Herman Munster.

* He wasn't half as whipped, either.

* Morticia made Gomez amorous speaking French. Lily would have learned the hard way that Herman thought it meant dinner was severed---er, served.

* Herman would have a sh@t fit if his model trains blew up.

* Gomez would never have been caught working in a mortuary---he'd have bought it and made it a clubhouse for the children.

* The Thing.

* The Addams Family meal menus were more sophisticated.

* Uncle Fester was funnier than Grandpa.

* He never broke an entire neighbourhood with his light bulb-based power supply, either.

* Grandmama was funnier than . . . wait, the Munsters didn't have a grandma.

* Not even at gunpoint would Uncle Fester have tried building a Soap Box Derby type of airplane for Pugsley or Wednesday---he'd have built them the jet engine to build the plane around.

* Herman might have had a flat head but he could never have done Zen Yogi without falling flat.

* Lily Munster "vacuuming" her house was just a little over the top blowing the dirt back in.

* Eddie Munster would have decapitated himself if he tried juggling meat cleavers. Let's face it---the kid was a putz.

* Morticia wouldn't have even thought of denouncing violence and then proving it by knocking Gomez into the middle of next week.

* The Thing.

* You just knew Gomez and Morticia got it on.

* You also just knew that Herman would have been scared sh@tless if he'd seen any more of his wife than her bare shoulders.

* Gomez and Morticia were better dancers.

* The Addams Family wouldn't have been caught dead riding in the Munster Koach.

* Nobody ever had to photoshop Morticia to make her look like a bombshell.

* Rack of yak beats filet of dragon any night of the week.

* The Thing.

* Gomez never had to go back to the lab regularly to have his bolts tightened.

* Name one time Lily Munster ever cut a row of paper dolls in which the middle doll invariably had a third leg. That takes talent!

* Admit it---you'd rather be seduced by Morticia than even fantasise about Lily or Marilyn.

* Wednesday Addams's Marie Antoinette doll could beat the sh@t out of Eddie Munster's Wolf-Wolf with one head tied behind her back.

* Pugsley Addams looked better in a ratty striped shirt and Bermuda shorts than Eddie ever did as Little Lord Hauntleroy---even if Pugsley did look like five pounds of baloney in a three-pound sack.

* The Thing.

* Neither Wednesday nor Pugsley were ever fool enough to think they could play a trumpet at all---never mind imagining doing a Las Vegas lounge act while being tone deaf.

* And if they were going to try out for the school band, they weren't wimpy enough to ask for a triangle first.

* Gomez knew how to play the stock market. Herman would have fainted if you asked him to go to the supermarket.

* Uncle Fester rocked a suit of armour. Herman had to be cut out of one within an inch of his life.

* There isn't a chandelier on the planet that could hold Herman hanging upside for more than two seconds---not even if Herman knew the first thing about Zen Yogi.

* When the Addams Family had to conk Gomez on the head, it was only to restore his memory. When Lily had to conk Herman on the head, it was to keep it on his shoulders in the first place.

* Lurch played a harpsichord. The Munsters had only a ratty, battered organ that sounded like surplus from an old-time radio soap opera.

* The Thing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 07:18:00 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

"Admit it---you'd rather be seduced by Morticia than even fantasise about Lily"

I preferred the Addams family to the Munsters. TAF was funnier for all the reasons you mentioned.
 Nevertheless, Yvonne De Carlo was one hot, smokin' babe in her prime. Maybe the hottest in Hollyweird. Tony Curtis probably thought as much if the story about his loud conversation about a conquest of De Carlo directed at Walter Matthau from a car Curtis was riding in is true.
She was still only in her forties in the sixties. Dressed in non-Munster clothes and makeup, I'd give her the edge over Morticia.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I saw that the cast of Happy Days, with the exception of Trump supporter Scott Baio, were campaigning in Minnesota for Biden.  I found it funny that Richie and the Fonz who in a show represent the era of the 50's and early 60's when Democrats were in their heyday of campaigning against civil rights for blacks, are going to use Happy Days to campaign for Biden.
Erin Moran, Pat Morita and Tom Bosley could not be reached for comment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

Thanks. I checked it out. It’s not gonna work for me, I don’t have over-the-air or cable. I’m looking for on-demand streaming like in Netflix or Amazon.  :shrug:

It is currently on disney, hulu, prime, and starz... and with a very limited search, I found the complete series on free servers

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wrote:
"Not that I mind a good thread jacking, but this is a serious development. 
Show will no longer be available annually to the airwaves for those and many who looked forward to this as a Christmas Tradition."

The broadcast networks never showed "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on Christmas Eve in recent times, anyway. I sense that was on purpose.

Folks, don't despair. Who cares what the networks do?
All you have to do is keep reading and save this message.
I've done the work for you.

Watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" on Halloween by getting it here:
https://tinyurl.com/y6jfj7dp

Watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on Christmas Eve by getting it here:
https://tinyurl.com/y4pwmmfg

And for New Year's Eve, a very appropriate 1960 film in great taste, "The Time Machine", by getting it here:
https://tinyurl.com/y3ue4on6

All you need on the Mac is an app named "Transmission". Search for it.
On the PC/Windows, you'll need whatever torrent software is used on that platform.

I recommend getting the 1080p copies.
Pick one near the top of the list that has a lot of "seeders" (the "SE").

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
For the record, I have access to hard-copies and a DVR recording of the specials in question. (Look, I was a preteen when Napster was all the rage, it's not news to me.) It's not so much the lack of access as it is what it says about the specials that the current rights holders view it as something to be buried on a little-used subscription platform.

Charlie Brown used to be—and would likely remain, had it not been for this deal—"appointment viewing," a time when Americans took the tradition of sitting down all at the same time and watched it. Now, you tell me, in this age of coronavirus where that kind of "appointment viewing" in the home is one of the most encouraged activities there is... why they're doing this, why they've decided to make these shows a mere 'video on demand' offering just like your run-of-the-mill sitcom reruns on Netflix. Just dial it up whenever.

It is part of a conscious and concerted effort to tear the American people apart.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For the record, I have access to hard-copies and a DVR recording of the specials in question. (Look, I was a preteen when Napster was all the rage, it's not news to me.) It's not so much the lack of access as it is what it says about the specials that the current rights holders view it as something to be buried on a little-used subscription platform.

Charlie Brown used to be—and would likely remain, had it not been for this deal—"appointment viewing," a time when Americans took the tradition of sitting down all at the same time and watched it. Now, you tell me, in this age of coronavirus where that kind of "appointment viewing" in the home is one of the most encouraged activities there is... why they're doing this, why they've decided to make these shows a mere 'video on demand' offering just like your run-of-the-mill sitcom reruns on Netflix. Just dial it up whenever.

It is part of a conscious and concerted effort to tear the American people apart.

"Appointment viewing."  I like that term.  Yours?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Interpersonal communication skills have certainly suffered, with distance, distrust, concealed expressions, and limited contact. Without those things, people get a mite rusty at communicating in person.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I got a subscription to Apple TV when I replaced my iPhone a few months ago. It was 6 years old and starting to show its age. I didn’t realize I also received a year of free Apple TV. Apple is currently doing that with all purchases of their phones, iPads, and computers. I’m not sure about watches.

I’ll tell you honestly, if it wasn’t free it would be another Quibi. There’s really only one or two watchable shows, but they have Snoopy in Space. I’d rather save my $4.95 a month.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:13:11 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I got a subscription to Apple TV when I replaced my iPhone a few months ago. It was 6 years old and starting to show its age. I didn’t realize I also received a year of free Apple TV. Apple is currently doing that with all purchases of their phones, iPads, and computers. I’m not sure about watches.

I’ll tell you honestly, if it wasn’t free it would be another Quibi. There’s really only one or two watchable shows, but they have Snoopy in Space. I’d rather save my $4.95 a month.

Quibi is going down....

https://decider.com/2020/10/21/quibi-is-shutting-down/
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Quibi is going down....

I know. I was slightly interested, only to watch the reboot of “Reno 911”

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I know. I was slightly interested, only to watch the reboot of “Reno 911”

Meg Whitman was saddened....
I will NOT comply.

Offline LegalAmerican

catfish wrote:
"Not that I mind a good thread jacking, but this is a serious development. 
Show will no longer be available annually to the airwaves for those and many who looked forward to this as a Christmas Tradition."

The broadcast networks never showed "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on Christmas Eve in recent times, anyway. I sense that was on purpose.

Folks, don't despair. Who cares what the networks do?
All you have to do is keep reading and save this message.
I've done the work for you.

Watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" on Halloween by getting it here:
https://tinyurl.com/y6jfj7dp

Watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas" on Christmas Eve by getting it here:
https://tinyurl.com/y4pwmmfg

And for New Year's Eve, a very appropriate 1960 film in great taste, "The Time Machine", by getting it here:
https://tinyurl.com/y3ue4on6

All you need on the Mac is an app named "Transmission". Search for it.
On the PC/Windows, you'll need whatever torrent software is used on that platform.

I recommend getting the 1080p copies.
Pick one near the top of the list that has a lot of "seeders" (the "SE").

Thank you.  Saved in my files.   888high58888

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Quibi is going down....

Not to go too far off-topic, but as for Quibi...

While surfing YouTube one day a few months back, Quibi forced upon me an advertisement for their film Dummy— an absolutely filthy buddy comedy with Anna Kendrick and... a talking sex doll. Cringy does not even begin to describe it.

With content like that, is it any wonder why Quibi was such a flop?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"Appointment viewing."  I like that term.  Yours?
I wish I could take credit; I think it's an industry buzzword.

Offline aligncare

I wish I could take credit; I think it's an industry buzzword.

I think NBC was first to use the phrase to promo their nightly lineup. It’s been around quite a while.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Charlie Brown fans launch petition to bring specials back

You may have heard the news that for the first time in their history the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas Charlie Brown specials won’t be airing on network tv this year. Apple TV + acquired the rights and you have to stream It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown to see it. Same for A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas. Very narrow windows will be available for free viewing. Otherwise you have to pay.

This has angered fans who feel these are more than just holiday specials; these are part of the fabric of American culture and tradition. There is something to be said for the appointment tv and communal viewing nature of these gems. There was always an odd comfort in knowing the rest of the country was watching along with you. It made it feel special as the holidays should feel.

But is it worth launching a petition over?

Someone thought so.

https://nj1015.com/charlie-brown-fans-launch-petition-to-bring-specials-back-opinion/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I saw that the cast of Happy Days, with the exception of Trump supporter Scott Baio, were campaigning in Minnesota for Biden.  I found it funny that Richie and the Fonz who in a show represent the era of the 50's and early 60's when Democrats were in their heyday of campaigning against civil rights for blacks, are going to use Happy Days to campaign for Biden.

Except for Opie and the fonze (who is still pretty funny on Parks and Rec and Arrested Development), they're a bunch of has-beens.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Update: change of plans. It'll be back on TV after all, and commercial free, too!

Wildbrain agreed to sub-license the specials to PBS.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/charlie-brown-pbs-apple-peanuts-tv-streaming-1234834757/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Update: change of plans. It'll be back on TV after all, and commercial free, too!

Wildbrain agreed to sub-license the specials to PBS.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/charlie-brown-pbs-apple-peanuts-tv-streaming-1234834757/

That means, in lieu of commercial breaks, they'll have to sit through 10 minutes of Pledge Breaks.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Re: A Charlie Brown Christmas removed from TV along with other Peanuts specials
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2020, 03:52:08 am »
Times are changing ... and unfortunately not for the best.

Long gone are great TV programs like, The Real McCoys, Lassie, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Ozzie & Harriet, The Jackie Gleason Show, Johnny Carson, etc....that's why I don't watch TV anymore... nothing on really worth watching .... and then we have fake news to deal with.

They're all still there on Free Broadcast TV.  My granddaughter watches them with me all the time.  She even sings the words to Wyatt Earp  ("brave, courageous, and bold").