Author Topic: Ted Cruz Spars With Pete Buttigieg Over Meaning of Constitutional Originalism  (Read 669 times)

Offline libertybele

Ted Cruz Spars With Pete Buttigieg Over Meaning of Constitutional Originalism

Republican Senator Ted Cruz debated constitutional originalism with Pete Buttigieg on Twitter Tuesday morning, after unveiling a proposed amendment to prohibit Democrats from adding seats to the U.S. Supreme Court following next month's election. An "originalist" is someone who believes interpretations of constitutional text should rely on the authors' original intentions when statutes were first drafted.

"The Left keeps repeating this idiotic arg: 'Ha! Ha! If you're an originalist, you can't amend the Constitution.' No, Art VII of the Constitution lays out the process of amendments (e.g., Bill of Rights). Following that process is HOW you do it—not judges just rewriting the text," Cruz wrote on Tuesday, responding to an earlier tweet from Buttigieg, a former Democratic presidential candidate and the previous mayor of South Bend, Indiana, posted on Monday night.............

https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-spars-pete-buttigieg-over-meaning-constitutional-originalism-1540617
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rustynail

'Don't wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.'

Offline berdie

Buttigieg is way out of his league. I almost admire for him trying...but it would be like me fighting the Incredible Hulk.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Buttigieg is way out of his league. I almost admire for him trying...but it would be like me fighting the Incredible Hulk.
Correct!.
The Buttboy is boxing out of his weight class on this one.

I wonder what he is running for.  Two news pieces on him on consecutive days.   Yesterday he claimed his marriage made in faggotry would be in jeopardy if ACB was confirmed an now a punch drunk swipe at Cruz?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Correct!.
The Buttboy is boxing out of his weight class on this one.

I wonder what he is running for.  Two news pieces on him on consecutive days.   Yesterday he claimed his marriage made in faggotry would be in jeopardy if ACB was confirmed an now a punch drunk swipe at Cruz?

I was wondering the same thing .... Buttgig has been in the news a couple of times lately -- he's trying to remain relevant .... why?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

He want's to be appointed SAGA (Secretary of gay affairs) in the biteme administration.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
   He want's to be appointed SAGA (Secretary of gay affairs) in the biteme administration.

Actually, that makes a hell of a lot of sense.   888high58888
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dancer

I think you nailed it.   :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
He'd b pretty busy keeping up with the gay affairs in D.C. from what I've read about the place.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis