Author Topic: Google pledges to no longer build AIs for the fossil fuel industry  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Google pledges to no longer build AIs for the fossil fuel industry

https://artificialintelligence-news.com/2020/05/22/google-no-longer-build-ai-fossil-fuel-industry/

Google has pledged to no longer build AIs for the fossil fuel industry as it further distances itself from controversial developments.

A report from Greenpeace earlier this month exposed Google as being one of the top three developers of AI tools for the fossil fuel industry. Greenpeace found AI technologies boost production levels by as much as five percent.

In an interview with CUBE’s John Furrier, the leader of Google’s CTO office, Will Grannis, said that Google will “no longer develop artificial intelligence (AI) software and tools for oil and gas drilling operations.”

>snip<

While Google Cloud’s revenue from the oil and gas industry was declining, the public’s intolerance towards big polluters is increasing. The reputational damage caused to Google of continuing its relationship with polluters would likely have been more costly over the long-term.

Ahem. Just one thing to note. While oil and gas operations generate some well inspected and scrutinized pollution, it is the public which generates the exhaust every time it starts a car, rides a bus, buys something that came in by truck, boat, barge, or rail, (not to mention air freight).

Ironic, I know, that the "public" is the bigger polluter here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Google pledges to no longer build AIs for the fossil fuel industry
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 12:55:23 am »
Link refuses to work
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:08:22 am »
Link refuses to work
Just clicked it, and it worked fine for me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 12:46:35 pm »
Just clicked it, and it worked fine for me.
works ok now, thx
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 12:59:24 pm »
Fossil fuels industry pledges to no longer providd energy needs for Google.  Electricity to all their facilities should be cut by whatever fraction of total generation is supplied by oil/gas/coal.  Google should be prohibited from purchasing polymers, plastics, dielectrics, insulators, paints, or lubricants.  And their wealthy corporate execs can find something else to power their corporate jets with.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 10:27:47 pm »
Fossil fuels industry pledges to no longer providd energy needs for Google.  Electricity to all their facilities should be cut by whatever fraction of total generation is supplied by oil/gas/coal.  Google should be prohibited from purchasing polymers, plastics, dielectrics, insulators, paints, or lubricants.  And their wealthy corporate execs can find something else to power their corporate jets with.

You forgot the roads they drive one. No solar electricty powered the heavy machinery used to move the dirt and rocks and guess where asphalt comes from and how concrete is made?