Author Topic: Feral hog shot dead in East Idaho  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Feral hog shot dead in East Idaho
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:49:15 pm »
Idaho State Journal
By KATHY CORGATELLI NEVILLE
October 17, 2020

From a distance, it looked like some garbage had blown into Neal Andrus’ corral on County Line Road in Jefferson County on a recent afternoon. When Andrus went to retrieve it, he found it wasn’t garbage at all but a large, black hog sleeping in the sun.

It didn’t look like any domestic hog he’d ever seen.

“Every indication told me it was a feral hog with its long snout, short tusks and course hair that stood up all along its back,” Andrus said.

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Feral hog shot dead in East Idaho
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 01:26:05 pm »
@roamer_1

Near Idaho Falls, I think.
John Steinbeck

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:34:43 pm »
I've killed at least 10-15 that size or bigger.  That one is what.... 200-225 lb?

These rare in Idaho or something?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 01:36:54 pm »
@roamer_1

Yeah. That was me.  I didn't mean to. It was dark and WHY would I thunk it was my neighbor rooting in the trash?

I work in Idaho Falls, Lando.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 01:39:17 pm »
I've killed at least 10-15 that size or bigger.  That one is what.... 200-225 lb?

Yeah, rare. Even more rare now.

The truth is we don't have them here and this is the first I have heard of one.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:40:23 pm »

The article says it was ~150 lbs.  I gather they are infrequent in Idaho but like most states, they don't want 'em.
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 01:42:26 pm »
We just did a cabinet install right by there. A bit further north but still in that county. About 20 miles from where I live. My doctor lives on county line road.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:45:10 pm »
We just did a cabinet install right by there. A bit further north but still in that county. About 20 miles from where I live. My doctor lives on county line road.

Keep your eyes open for the critters.  It was a female and showed signs of having had a litter.
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 01:50:07 pm »
Keep your eyes open for the critters.  It was a female and showed signs of having had a litter.

I hear they become a big problem fast. In the town we live in, my wife was coming back from a daughter's a couple of days ago. She saw two raccoons.

It was afternoon. She said they were standing on a corner like they were waiting for a bus. She was like WTH?

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 01:51:20 pm »
Yeah. That was me.  I didn't mean to. It was dark and WHY would I thunk it was my neighbor rooting in the trash?

I work in Idaho Falls, Lando.

I didn't know that.  Way back during my yute, I did a geological field camp near Arco and also Sheep Mountain.  I loved it.
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 01:51:36 pm »
FWIW, we don't want the GDed wolves either.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 01:52:37 pm »
I didn't know that.  Way back during my yute, I did a geological field camp near Arco and also Sheep Mountain.  I loved it.

My wife was born and raised in Arco.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 01:52:53 pm »
I hear they become a big problem fast. In the town we live in, my wife was coming back from a daughter's a couple of days ago. She saw two raccoons.

It was afternoon. She said they were standing on a corner like they were waiting for a bus. She was like WTH?

Was she driving a flatbed Ford?  (Bad joke; a groaner)
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 01:54:07 pm »
The article says it was ~150 lbs.  I gather they are infrequent in Idaho but like most states, they don't want 'em.

I should post some pictures of some land I just had cleaned up here so you can see why they don't want them.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 01:55:38 pm »
My wife was born and raised in Arco.

I played in the Arco Bicentennial softball game on July 4, 1976.  The locals took a liking to me.  They called me Grizz, lol.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 02:00:54 pm »
I should post some pictures of some land I just had cleaned up here so you can see why they don't want them.

They are worse than nasty, I'm told.
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 02:02:12 pm »
I played in the Arco Bicentennial softball game on July 4, 1976.  The locals took a liking to me.  They called me Grizz, lol.

It is the fist "city" lit by atomic power. My son, grandson, and a friend are over there right now deer hunting. Spotted a huge atypical Muley yesterday. Gonna see if they can get him today. My wife told him to make sure he name dropped to the surrounding farmers. They'll give him permission to hunt.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 02:08:19 pm »

Same here.  Two years ago it looked like a plowed field around one of my nicest Live Oaks.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 02:14:09 pm »
They are worse than nasty, I'm told.

They can tear up in one night more than you can fix in a month!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 02:15:07 pm »
@roamer_1

@Lando Lincoln

Way south of me... Down by Boise and Pocatello... More @bigheadfred 's neck of the woods... Still, never heard the like up this way... Always wanted to do a boar hunt. one of the few major game animals I haven't got a crack at yet.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 02:15:52 pm »
They can tear up in one night more than you can fix in a month!

Want some wolves? Maybe they can help control the problem...

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 02:18:18 pm »
Want some wolves? Maybe they can help control the problem...

Despite what you've been told, we have a few of those here as well. They don't seem to have much effect on the hogs. Probably because the hogs breed like rats!

We really don't have much of a hog problem on my place because every one we see quicckly ends up very much like the one in the picture above.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:22:04 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 02:20:42 pm »
FWIW, we don't want the GDed wolves either.

That pissed me off bad. My beloved timber wolves are probably near gone... subsumed by those monsters they brought in from McKenzie River country.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 02:24:19 pm »
Despite what you've been told, we have a few of those here as well. They don't seem to have much effect on the hogs. Probably because the hogs breed like rats!

We really don't have much of a hog problem on my place because every one we see quicckly ends up very much like the one in the picture above.

Not like the wolves up in here... And if the wolves don't get em, the griz will, or the cougars... Or the winter. Our pigs have fur and claws (bears).

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 02:25:12 pm »

These are different wolves @Bigun

From @roamer_1 "those monsters they brought in from McKenzie River country."