Author Topic: Soldier shoots her way to Olympic dream  (Read 157 times)

rangerrebew

Soldier shoots her way to Olympic dream
« on: October 18, 2020, 11:58:45 am »

Soldier shoots her way to Olympic dream

Many Soldiers join the Army as a step towards achieving their goals and dreams. That was reversed for one Soldier going through Advanced Individual Training on Fort Jackson. She qualified for the Olympics in a sport equally suited for the Army – marksmanship.

Spc. Alison Weisz, from Company B, 369th Adjutant General Battalion, will graduate Advanced Individual Training Oct. 8 and then head to the Army Marksmanship Unit in Fort Benning, Georgia. She made Team USA for the Women's 10m Air Rifle Event for the 2021 Olympic Games, and will be part of the AMU's International Rifle Team, and compete internationally in both 10m Air Rifle and 50m Three-Position Small bore Rifle.

"It had always been a goal of mine to join the Army after qualifying for the Olympics," said the Belgrade, Montana native. "The initial plan pre-COVID was that I was going to qualify, go to the Olympics this summer in Tokyo, in August come back, take a little bit of time off, and go to basic training. And that was all just because I wanted to look forward towards 2024 and the Olympics in Paris. The best way to do that for my career and my sport was with the Army."

https://www.wearethemighty.com/news/soldier-shoots-to-olympic-dream