Author Topic: McConnell details $500 billion COVID bill set for Wednesday vote  (Read 3274 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: McConnell details $500 billion COVID bill set for Wednesday vote
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2020, 09:38:33 am »
Cool pic of (I think) B-25s. Vintage pic? Photoshopped? I don't think there are that many airworthy B-25s these days (wouldn't mind being wrong).
Yep, B-25s and I'd say vintage, because it's hard to find that many guys who will fly a prop plane through flak...

About 100 survive, some 45 flyable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_North_American_B-25_Mitchells
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:40:34 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2020, 11:40:58 am »
Cool pic of (I think) B-25s. Vintage pic? Photoshopped? I don't think there are that many airworthy B-25s these days (wouldn't mind being wrong).
Found the planes. https://www.aerovintage.com/catchb25.htm#N1042B

Used in the filming of Catch-22. The planes are/were real, the flak likely a special effect.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2020, 07:34:26 pm »
roamer1:
I have never exonerated a Democrat. I have never said Obummer is good. I have never justified a damn thing coming from the left. I expect the left to be LEFT.

As you constantly vilify the Right and by absence being critical of democrats ,except when sharing blame games.  You don't have to be a cheerleader of democrats to justify and make them look good, while making Conservative/Republicans look bad.  The generous examples shown shows just that and there are plenty more of your examples that can yet be brought up.  Just because you can wear a sheep's skin, doesn't keep you from being a covert wolf, democrat.  I've seen this before, elsewhere, just not quite so blatantly.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:38:13 pm by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Online corbe

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2020, 07:58:05 pm »
   With all due Respect @christian You're barking up the wrong tree.  From experience gathered through my time here I can vouch that @roamer_1  doesn't have a liberal bone in his body.  His apparent only transgression here is that he doesn't like the GOP, which he spent years advancing their cause, and it's titular head~Tumpy.  That bothers only them that strive for TBR to become another echo chamber on the net.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2020, 08:04:32 pm »
As you constantly vilify the Right and by absence being critical of democrats ,except when sharing blame games. 

That's because I don't give a crap what Democrat do. I know what they are. What matters is real opposition to them. That means adherence to standards and accountability... THAT is my job. And it ought to be yours too.

You don't have to be a cheerleader of democrats to justify and make them look good, while making Conservative/Republicans look bad. 

No, Republicans are making Republicans look bad. I am just pointing it out as cause for accountability and why I will withhold my endorsement. Because that is the only personal means of accountability there is. You want me to shut up? Make em fly right, and I will. I sure as hell ain't going to let folks sweep that under the rug.

The generous examples shown shows just that and there are plenty more of your examples that can yet be brought up. 

So what? They piss me off. They are not doing their damn job. Including this administration. And until they ARE doing their damn job, I will keep bitching and reminding all y'all what Conservatism says, and defend that. That is why I am here. Not for psychophantic loyalties to those who don't deserve it. Loyalty is EARNED.

Just because you can wear a sheep's skin, doesn't keep you from being a covert wolf, democrat.  I've seen this before, elsewhere, just not quite so blatantly.

Again with making it personal. Again with unfounded accusations against my person. I have fifteen years or better on record, and thousands upon thousands of posts here and on FR... All I have ever done is defend Conservatism. And that is what I am doing now. Right by the numbers.

So play your little paranoid game. Bring it. I will stand on my record wrt the principles of Conservatism... Way better arguments than your inane rantings have not succeeded. Because I have stood exactly where I am the whole time, and always will.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2020, 08:26:58 pm »
   With all due Respect @christian You're barking up the wrong tree.  From experience gathered through my time here I can vouch that @roamer_1  doesn't have a liberal bone in his body.  His apparent only transgression here is that he doesn't like the GOP, which he spent years advancing their cause, and it's titular head~Tumpy.  That bothers only them that strive for TBR to become another echo chamber on the net.

Thanks for that @corbe ... Your check is in the mail, as soon as it clears the DNC  :silly: :tongue2:

Online corbe

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2020, 08:43:32 pm »
 :doglick:

Not the first and it wont be the last time I'm accused of being a 'brown noser'.    :beer:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2020, 08:55:15 pm »
-----------------------------
Corbe, you are already familiar w/the subject, yet permit a reflection.
Those who endlessly prattle on about 'politics' confirm their obliviousness.
The GOP was a northern Merchant Class anti-slavery party; evolving,
post Civil War into the errand boys for the Industrial Class.
During their 75 year ascendancy, from Johnson to Hoover, they were the party of:
* strong centralized government, adamantly opposing States Rights,
* aggressive trade protectionism, promoting excises/tariffs and rejecting free trade,
* strong supporters of judicial activism who nominated and confirmed virtually the
   entire Federal Judiciary during their political ascendancy.
The cliché' that the GOP was and remains a conservative party is eons beyond
embarrassing; as they never had anything to do w/conservative principle;
NOT FOR A DAY, as their executive, legislative and judicial history affirms.
Our only Principled Conservative Party was the Southern Agrarian Rural Democrats
of Founders Jefferson, Madison, Monroe and many others; unfortunately tarred
by slavery and destroyed by the Civil War.

Offline christian

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2020, 01:07:08 am »
When did attacking the President and the Republican party, while giving the democrats a pass on criticism become a standard of Conservatism?  (It is just what it looks like, deceit, and false projection. :smokin:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2020, 01:10:37 am »
When did attacking the President and the Republican party, while giving the democrats a pass on criticism become a standard of Conservatism?  (It is just what it looks like, deceit, and false projection. :smokin:

Just like we have RINO'S in congress, who think they are republicans. A form of self delusion.

:thumbsup:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2020, 03:16:32 am »

Who is giving ANY of them a pass?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2020, 03:17:56 am »

Just like we have RINO'S in congress, who think they are republicans. A form of self delusion.

I don't think I'm Republican. I wouldn't be a Republican again if you paid me (SPIT)

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2020, 01:24:29 pm »
I don't think I'm Republican. I wouldn't be a Republican again if you paid me (SPIT)
Unfortunately, the GOP has been sliding to the Left since Goldwater, and that's just since I have been paying attention. I haven't gone anywhere, but the Party has left me, right where I have always been.
Historically, they are the Party who fostered the invasion of my State of Origin by foreign powers, who suspended the Federal Constitution in that State, who impounded the legislature, militarily occupied a sovereign state with which there was officially no conflict against the will of significant numbers of its citizens, and refused to end that military occupation until the puppet legislature altered the Constitution of the State.
The current iteration of the Party claims anti-Marxism and adherence to original intent, then claims to 'save' Social Security, by spending money we don't have, borrowed from a banking cartel, just for starters.

The current Democrat Party has embraced Marxism more fully, and does not even come into consideration.
But I'm with you, the whole shootin' match is far too far to the Left for my tastes.

We have a fantastic Constitution, the framework for a tremendous Republic, crafted by a rare assemblage of brilliant and inspired men the likes of whom seldom occur in history, and the document as well as the concepts therein languish in an archive, referenced mainly to indicate how the other party ignores them even more.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2020, 05:27:51 pm »
Unfortunately, the GOP has been sliding to the Left since Goldwater, and that's just since I have been paying attention. I haven't gone anywhere, but the Party has left me, right where I have always been.

Agreed, and same here.

Historically, they are the Party who fostered the invasion of my State of Origin by foreign powers, who suspended the Federal Constitution in that State, who impounded the legislature, militarily occupied a sovereign state with which there was officially no conflict against the will of significant numbers of its citizens, and refused to end that military occupation until the puppet legislature altered the Constitution of the State.

And it ain't quit yet - The last Republican President consolidated LEOs and intelligence agencies adjunct to, and with an interface to military brass and power... Homeland Security is certain to become a draconian tool with incredible reach. And I am supposed to vote FOR things like that? Oh hell no.

The current iteration of the Party claims anti-Marxism and adherence to original intent, then claims to 'save' Social Security, by spending money we don't have, borrowed from a banking cartel, just for starters.

There ain't NOTHING conservative in the Republican party... And that which was, the Goldwater wing, has been subsumed... And will not rise again. Heck, most folks think of the Republican party as a monolithic thing, and don't even know what the wings within it actually stand for... What their motives are. But then, current Republican voter indoctrination has them pulling for big.gov no matter what... How the heck will the conservative wing rise against that? I am a Tea Partier, sure enough... I put big time and money into that... And if the current administration and party were true to that, I would not be howling... But they... THEY crushed the TEA party effort, not Democrats.

So they can go piss up a rope.

The current Democrat Party has embraced Marxism more fully, and does not even come into consideration.
But I'm with you, the whole shootin' match is far too far to the Left for my tastes.

Way, WAY too far left. I have never endorsed Democrats, and I despise liberals... But the Republicans have no opposition to that. Hell it's getting to where you can't tell the difference.

We have a fantastic Constitution, the framework for a tremendous Republic, crafted by a rare assemblage of brilliant and inspired men the likes of whom seldom occur in history, and the document as well as the concepts therein languish in an archive, referenced mainly to indicate how the other party ignores them even more.

That's right. Folks had better mind their own house... Because they are stealing us blind, our money and our liberty... But they're better than the Democrats... Right?  *****rollingeyes*****

Big.gov is now just a matter of fact. Neither party will stop it. The fight now is over who does it better. And it is a damn cryin shame. I will not lend that aid. It is no better than the other. In fact, to me it is worse because of the betrayal.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:28:54 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2020, 07:42:09 pm »
[quote author=Smokin Joe.
The current Democrat Party has embraced Marxism more fully, and does not even come into consideration. But I'm with you, the whole shootin' match is far too far to the Left for my tastes.
[/quote]
--------------------------
Smokin, respectfully.
The GOP has been progressive since their first candidate, Fremont, in 1856.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:43:59 pm by Absalom »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2020, 12:55:43 am »
[quote author=Smokin Joe.
The current Democrat Party has embraced Marxism more fully, and does not even come into consideration. But I'm with you, the whole shootin' match is far too far to the Left for my tastes.

--------------------------
Smokin, respectfully.
The GOP has been progressive since their first candidate, Fremont, in 1856.
In the 1860 election the GOP candidate got 4 votes in the County I grew up in, where my family has roots to the 1600s. Those folks were asked to leave. Within a couple of years the entire State was occupied by a hostile army, even though it never seceded. By 1865, the Constitutional (Federal) Republic had, by conquest, been deemed a nation with a strong central government and nearly half the States conquered remnants.
Now, being that the group who wrote the history books tampered in the minds of those educated under the victors with everything from the casus beli to sanitizing their own actions in the effort to justify what some refuse to forget, much of that has been lost to time.
Unfortunately, so has the meaning of the Parties which opposed, the Southern Democratic and the Constitutional Union Parties, whose candidates (Breckinridge and Bell) got 91.7% of the vote. The GOP (Lincoln) only got 2,294 votes statewide, a mere 2.48%
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:56:45 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline christian

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2020, 04:03:24 am »
and the end of the story is by by some how not criticizing democrats and constantly attacking Republicans we have some how arrived at the leftist definition of 'fair'.  Trashing Republicans and ignoring democrats far worse egregious behaviors/actions will only majically affect the election that is almost here.  and some how it won't help the democrats one bit, but if it does help them it doesn't really matter?  People on the Coulter site saw through that baloney in a very short time.  The old dodge isn't working on me at all!  Here's a toughie, guess why?
The COVID epidemic is a Chinese invention the Democrats have been glad to manipulate to full political advantage.  They are a team working against America and Trump.  The Chinese have even offered new diseases to Start when Co-ved peters out.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:52 am »
and the end of the story is by by some how not criticizing democrats and constantly attacking Republicans we have some how arrived at the leftist definition of 'fair'.  Trashing Republicans and ignoring democrats far worse egregious behaviors/actions will only majically affect the election that is almost here.  and some how it won't help the democrats one bit, but if it does help them it doesn't really matter?  People on the Coulter site saw through that baloney in a very short time.  The old dodge isn't working on me at all!  Here's a toughie, guess why?
The COVID epidemic is a Chinese invention the Democrats have been glad to manipulate to full political advantage.  They are a team working against America and Trump.  The Chinese have even offered new diseases to Start when Co-ved peters out.
I guess the problem is that all things are now relative in the Republican mind. When fixed principle was the standard, well, the current GOP falls short.
That the Democrats are so far away from those standards as to not be considered is irrelevant.
It's what those "on our side" are doing that should concern us all. We are not the Democrats.
Some of us find the GOP too far off the mark (to the left) for our tastes.

If the eventual goal is the return to a Constitutional Federal Republic, then we're going to remind you of that endpoint. Without a long term strategic plan, we'll never get there, and staying to the right of the ever lefting left is not a winning strategy. All they have to do to get what they want is to keep shifting left and the GOP will be there sooner or later.

Stop compromising, shift right, and make them compromise.

C S Lewis

Offline dancer

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2020, 09:45:56 am »
When the Republicns had two years to reverse Obama administration policies (some of which hadn't even fully kicked in yet) they FAILED. IF you want something to 'shout' about, try shouting about that.

They failed to seize the moment. In doing so they continued to act as if the Democrats were running the show. Someone would have to be pretty uninformed to not see that.
That is on Paul Ryan, an enemy within.  He's now on the board of Fox News, and people wonder why it has gone so far Left.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2020, 07:49:39 pm »
That is on Paul Ryan, an enemy within.  He's now on the board of Fox News, and people wonder why it has gone so far Left.

LOL! Nah. Ryan was just the designated bagholder... Thus his golden parachute.