Author Topic: Elon Musk Says SpaceX Starship Mars Mission Is Almost Ready, But Has to Wait 4 Years  (Read 517 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Tech Times By CJ Robles 10/17/2020

Elon Musk Says SpaceX Starship Mars Mission Is Almost Ready, But Has to Wait 4 Years

Elon Musk's SpaceX is almost ready to begin its construction of a Martian city as it will soon launch its first Starship mission to Mars by 2024.

The CEO made his claims on Friday, October 16, during the International Mars Society Convention. Musk said the company remains on schedule to launch the maiden unmanned  SpaceX Starship Mars Mission within four years.

"I think we have a fighting chance of making that second Mars transfer window," Musk told Mars Society founder Robert Zubrin
in an interview. Musk was referring to an opportunity to Mars mission that only happens every 26 months. Earlier in July, NASA, the United Arab Emirates, and China all launched their respective missions to Mars. Although there will be an earlier launch opportunity in 2022, Musk was referring to the Mars launch window in 2024.

SpaceX's Mars mission timeline

Musk has long planned to establish a permanent and self-sustaining community on Mars just in case Earth becomes uninhabitable after being struck by an asteroid strike or a nuclear war.

Mars Society founder Robert Zubrin said during the convention that SpaceX is taking on the biggest single challenge, which is the transportation system. Other systems are going to be needed. However, as a space transportation company, its only goal is to carry cargo and humans to and from the Red Planet, facilitating the development of someone else's Mars base.

More: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/253419/20201017/elon-musk-spacex-starship-mars-mission-2024.htm

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Being ready to launch the rockets is one thing, and being ready to colonize is quite another....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

Being ready to launch the rockets is one thing, and being ready to colonize is quite another....

I didn't read the article... Being able to get there is one thing. Being able to get back is quite another too... I'm assuming they have no means of getting back yet.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I didn't read the article... Being able to get there is one thing. Being able to get back is quite another too... I'm assuming they have no means of getting back yet.

I consider that a pretty major issue.  The easiest way would be to make it a penal colony, like Australia where it was expected the prisoners would never return.  That's not a happening thing, we will need skilled pioneers as opposed to conscripts.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Elon Musk says SpaceX is on track to launch people to Mars within 6 years — here's the full timeline of his plans to populate the red planet

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-spacex-mars-plan-timeline-2018-10

2022: Launch two missions to Mars full of cargo and supplies (but no people).

2022-23: Land the first Big Falcon Spaceship on Mars.

Paul Wooster, SpaceX's principal Mars development engineer, gave some new details about this in August. Wooster said the first two uncrewed cargo missions would "confirm the water resources in the locations that you're interested in, and then determine any [landing] hazards for future missions, and then start to put in place some of the infrastructure that you'll need," such as landing pads for safer arrival of crewed missions.

2023: Launch the first people with BFR and send them around the moon.

2024: Blast people on the first human voyage to Mars.

2025: Put boots on Mars.

As with the first uncrewed missions to Mars, it could take perhaps six to nine months for crewed ships to reach the red planet.

These first spaceships would most likely serve as homes for astronauts, Wooster said in August. It wouldn't be the most comfortable setup, but it might reduce mission complexity by eliminating the need to immediately build Mars habitats.

2028: Finish building Mars Base Alpha.

More at link.