Author Topic: U.S. retail sales surge 1.9% in September in show of strength for the economy  (Read 598 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-retail-sales-surge-19-in-september-in-show-of-strength-for-the-economy-2020-10-16?mod=newsviewer_click

<snipit>
The numbers: Sales at U.S. retail stores surged in September and rose for the fifth month in a row as Americans bought more clothes, went out to eat and splurged on new cars and trucks, suggesting an economic recovery was still well underway at the start of fall.

Retail sales climbed 1.9% last month, the government said Friday. Economists polled by MarketWatch had forecast a 1.2% increase.

Setting aside the large auto segment, retail sales were still quite strong, up 1.5%.

Although retail sales have snapped back quickly to pre-crisis levels and done so far faster than expected, many economists worry a letdown is coming. People are returning to work at a slower pace, the coronavirus is spreading rapidly again, and Washington has failed to pass a second coronavirus-relief bill, triggering fresh worries about the health of the economy.
===================================================================================

I still stand by the fact that we have seen a nice "V" shaped recovery, and though today's report of unemployment is up was not good news, Slow Joe's biden contention that this recovery is "K" shaped is an unabated BALD FACED LIE.  Sales would be dipping it this dipshit's comment was correct. Overall the economy is reslient, and seems to be surviving this COVID-19 gut punch.  OTOH, a few weeks from now, if we see a Biden win......   Watch for dire predictions on my behalf.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Could be a Christmas effect already.

Walking through Walmart a month ago I saw Christmas items already being set up for sale.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

Walking through Walmart a month ago I saw Christmas items already being set up for sale.

I think you make a good point.  One thing that has taught us about the pandemic economy, is that shortages and outages are more a rule than the excpetion, like in the past.  There has already been plenty of annoucnements pretty much having the retail segment trying to extend Black Friday and season and general in much of a flattened curve of consumption.  Again that reality of an elevated early retail sales curve, may be there.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think you make a good point.  One thing that has taught us about the pandemic economy, is that shortages and outages are more a rule than the excpetion, like in the past.  There has already been plenty of annoucnements pretty much having the retail segment trying to extend Black Friday and season and general in much of a flattened curve of consumption.  Again that reality of an elevated early retail sales curve, may be there.
Black Friday has become Black week and likely will begin looking like Black Month.

And we ain't talking about history either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Though that's been going on for years now, I do know that I've seen a few of my friends and family buying their Christmas gifts early. I am thinking about doing the same.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024