Author Topic: FCC will move to regulate social media after censorship outcry  (Read 1270 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
FCC will move to regulate social media after censorship outcry
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:31:31 pm »
FCC will move to regulate social media after censorship outcry

The decision comes after a whirlwind moderation debate
By Makena Kelly  Oct 15, 2020, 3:39pm EDT

On Thursday, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai said that the agency will seek to regulate social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter at the behest of the Trump administration’s executive order signed earlier this year.

“Members of all three branches of the federal government have expressed serious concerns about the prevailing interpretation of the immunity set for in Section 230 of the Communications Act. There is bipartisan support in Congress to reform the law,” Pai said in a statement Thursday. “Social media companies have a First Amendment right to free speech. But they do not have a First Amendment right to a special immunity denied to other media outlets, such as newspapers and broadcasters.”

In May, President Donald Trump signed an executive order targeting tech companies, like Facebook and Google, and Section 230 of the Communications Act, the pivotal internet law that provides them broad legal immunity over content posted by their users. The order instructed the Commerce Department to draft a petition prompting the FCC to reinterpret the law. The Department submitted its petition to the FCC in July.

more at link:

http://www.theverge.com/2020/10/15/21518097/fcc-social-media-censorship-moderation-ajit-pai-section-230-nypost-biden?fbclid=IwAR1cVtoGYmk5Fm78KqVtbftHnH0dy0XkpCA5Pcqq-9ofCCdbW1qrkR5X6YA

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: FCC will move to regulate social media after censorship outcry
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:35:18 pm »
@mystery-ak

999wine      :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 10:43:21 pm »
A veritable snail stampede of regulatory action heading toward the hapless 'techs'.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 10:48:49 pm »
A veritable snail stampede of regulatory action heading toward the hapless 'techs'.

@rustynail Expound on that.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 11:59:55 pm »
Am pretty sure this eventuality had already been discussed and action plans decided upon, just waiting for the proper timing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 12:07:00 am »
Am pretty sure this eventuality had already been discussed and action plans decided upon, just waiting for the proper timing.

Huh? 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »

Given this "warning shot,

In May, President Donald Trump signed an executive order targeting tech companies, like Facebook and Google, and Section 230 of the Communications Act, the pivotal internet law that provides them broad legal immunity over content posted by their users.

I'm sure several hypothetical scenarios that would properly trigger action and appropriate responses have been discussed.

My non-lawyerly understanding is that under Section 230 of the Communications Act, if outfits like FB or Twitter simply provide a platform for content, only removing illegal @#$% like threats, advocacy of violence, and blatant racism, FB, et al, have that broad legal immunity. BUT FB, et al have been flagrantly violating the conditions for having that immunity, with their partisan censorship of the Hunter Biden revelations being the sort of blatant trigger event that have been discussed within the FCC for the past several months.

In the real world, I think FB, et al's censorship was a bet-the-farm move. They bet their continued undisturbed existence on a move they think will protect Joe Biden enough for him to be elected President and shut down any move the FCC makes. IMO, it's the sort of desperate move that signals that they think Biden could be in trouble.

My guesses and $20 will get you a 2.5# bag of whole-bean French roast Rogers Family coffee and change at Costco.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 01:12:25 pm »
Huh?
The WH has not been sitting around wondering what the social media might do.

It has certainly assessed the bias from social media and how it impacts politics and developed methods to counter.

It is called being proactive
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 06:49:29 pm »
Bookface and Twatter may have made a big mistake here.  They moved from the status of "Curator" to the status of "Publisher."  This action on the part of the FCC is the response, and it's been ready to go since May. 

The techs played right into their hands. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online berdie

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 08:21:19 pm »
Bookface and Twatter may have made a big mistake here.  They moved from the status of "Curator" to the status of "Publisher."  This action on the part of the FCC is the response, and it's been ready to go since May. 

Help me out here...I've been researching all day to try to figure this out. I even read about Section 230 until my hair itched. Why does curator vs publisher matter? Are there certain protections, either legal or tax benefit, that apply?

I'm not a Twitter or Facebook patron, but I have read about conservative censorship on both forums.

Let me say this first..I don't agree with the censorship involved but since both Twit and FB are privately owned entities...is it not their right to limit content? It reminds me of A Site That Will Not Be Named that zapped a user if they didn't conform to their opinions. BTW, that is why I love this site...the diversity of opinion.

Sadly, both FB and Twit have become a major news source. Maybe that makes them subject to other laws...like the ability for them to be sued to oblivion?

I'm just a blond (grey) and have a hard time getting this.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 08:25:04 pm »

Does anyone have a cliff notes version of these section 230 provisions?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online berdie

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 08:56:09 pm »
Does anyone have a cliff notes version of these section 230 provisions?

If you find one, please post a link @catfish1957 . I've been reading the full texts and I just ain't that smart. :laugh:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 09:37:07 pm »

Help me out here...I've been researching all day to try to figure this out. I even read about Section 230 until my hair itched. Why does curator vs publisher matter? Are there certain protections, either legal or tax benefit, that apply?

I'm not a Twitter or Facebook patron, but I have read about conservative censorship on both forums.

Let me say this first..I don't agree with the censorship involved but since both Twit and FB are privately owned entities...is it not their right to limit content? It reminds me of A Site That Will Not Be Named that zapped a user if they didn't conform to their opinions. BTW, that is why I love this site...the diversity of opinion.

Sadly, both FB and Twit have become a major news source. Maybe that makes them subject to other laws...like the ability for them to be sued to oblivion?

I'm just a blond (grey) and have a hard time getting this.

For one thing, a Publisher can be sued for Libel, and a Curator cannot.  Other regulations also come into play, like "In-Kind Contributions" to politicians.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online berdie

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 10:05:30 pm »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 10:08:50 pm »
Thanks, @Cyber Liberty

It's still only a sketch when you deserve a good picture.  I'm sorry, but IANAL. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 10:09:35 pm »
I hate govt regulation as much as the next conservative, but these guys wandered far into the weeds and set themselves up for it, giving the FCC an opening to step in.

Kinda ironic - cocky, smirky leftist idiots like this support heavy govt regulation, but I guess these geniuses seemed to think it couldn't happen to them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 04:09:35 am »

It has certainly assessed the bias from social media and how it impacts politics and developed methods to counter.

You have the wrong entity.  CONGRESS has been sitting around wondering what the social media might do.  SAME WITH DOJ....not anything on White House.  JUDICIAL SYSTEM...has to do something, not WH.  We don't have a dictator.  It makes all the difference in the world.  Call out the correct people.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 04:13:35 am »
In 2012, Obama removed slander laws.  Part of that, ties to this.  This allows DEMON-RATS to lie with impunity, while censoring others.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 04:15:50 am »

See, since MAY!   WH is not sitting around, CONGRESS IS.

Quote from: Cyber Liberty on October 16, 2020, 02:49:29 PM

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 10:31:49 pm »
You have the wrong entity.  CONGRESS has been sitting around wondering what the social media might do.  SAME WITH DOJ....not anything on White House.  JUDICIAL SYSTEM...has to do something, not WH.  We don't have a dictator.  It makes all the difference in the world.  Call out the correct people.
Are you saying the FCC is not in the Executive branch and instead somewhere in Congressional or Judicial branches?

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 10:54:52 pm »
Are you saying the FCC is not in the Executive branch and instead somewhere in Congressional or Judicial branches?

NO. I AM SAYING THERE ARE SO MANY ISSUES....THAT NEED TO BE CHANGED....RIGHT NOW...RIGHT NOW.   If not yesterday.  All requires attorneys.  POTUS IS NOT AN ATTORNEY.  Most issue require congress vote.  Which can of worms,  do you want addressed first?   ALL AT ONE TIME...right?   *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes***** *****rollingeyes*****

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2020, 11:05:19 pm »
As soon as there is an issue,  it is POTUS fault,  right?  You want it all done yesterday.  What is the next issue, POTUS should have handled 'YESTERDAY'?  Tell me now.  Maybe you should run for POTUS, so all of it , can be handled, RIGHT NOW, by you.   With all due respect, I might have to put you on ignore, since you live in the world of ..SHOULDA, WOULDA, COULDA.  ALL HIND SIGHT THINKING.  Tell us AHEAD of time, now, what POTUS SHOULD ADDRESS AS THE FIRST THING.

Two American hostage were released, back to America,  by Trump Administration.  POTUS HAS 3 NOBLE PEACE PRIZE NOMINATIONS, for his work for M.E. PEACE.   (ONE FROM LAST YEAR by Japanese Abbe, so 4 times...for all POTUS work.)