Author Topic: High explosives and low temps: Special Forces in Alaska  (Read 173 times)

rangerrebew

High explosives and low temps: Special Forces in Alaska
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:44:40 am »
High explosives and low temps: Special Forces in Alaska

George Hand | October 12, 2020

Editor’s Note: This is part two of George Hand’s story about his Special Forces team operating in Alaska. Read part one here.

I admit I got some pretty decent shuteye in that Patrol Base (PB). I ate cold food because I just don’t care, plus heating food is such a hassle in the field. I did heat up a canteen cup of coffee, and of course we had plenty of water thanks to the run to the babbling brook.

I took my shift on security which was sitting in a Listening Post/Observation Post (LPOP) a few hundred meters to the rear of our PB for a few hours being quiet, listening, and — you guessed it — observing. It was the usually tearful boredom save for the herd of Caribou that went meandering some 700 meters out. I had binos hanging around my neck tucked just inside my jacket which made for a closer pleasing eyeful of the herd.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/high-explosives-and-low-temps-special-forces-in-alaska/