Author Topic: King Abbott Deems Some of His Subjects Might Be Permitted To Quaff A Flagon Of Ale. Sometime Next We  (Read 301 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog 10/9/2020

King Abbott Deems Some of His Subjects Might Be Permitted To Quaff A Flagon Of Ale. Sometime Next Week. Maybe. If The Local Baron Approves.

The title of this post is a shameless riff on this Michael Quinn Sullivan tweet:

Michael Quinn Sullivan
@MQSullivan

In today’s Grand Pronouncement, your Texas King – Greg the Masked – has announced his Feudal County Lords may in their benevolence chose to allow a bar or nightclub to open, or not to open, based upon their whim.

Thank you, @GregAbbott_TX, for your Divine Leadership!
3:36 PM · Oct 7, 2020

Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced that he’s finally going to let some bars reopen at 50% capacity, as opposed to the total closure they’ve been laboring under since March.

While other states like Florida are lifting the last of their coronavirus restrictions, Abbott is keeping his executive orders in place and continuing to keep some businesses closed.

On Monday, Abbott teased an upcoming announcement on Twitter which implied bars and other similar establishments—which have been barred from reopening alongside restaurants and other businesses—would finally be allowed to open their doors.

Abbott’s announcement on Wednesday, however, was less sweeping than many expected.

Instead, Abbott announced a new order that passes the buck onto county judges, who he has given the authority to determine whether local bars can reopen as soon as October 14 at 50 percent capacity.

For many Texans in populous Democrat-controlled counties, such approval will likely be difficult to obtain.

In fact, shortly after the announcement, Clay Jenkins—the Democrat Dallas County Judge—announced he would “not file to open them at this time.”

More: https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=45941

Offline berdie

I am pretty divided about this.

But frankly, different counties are doing better than  others as far as the spread of this. Why bars are so much worse than other businesses I don't know. But this isn't the Prohibition. It's a legal business.

I just hope the openings don't restart the shut down. *bouche*