Author Topic: Trump gambles with new stimulus strategy  (Read 561 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump gambles with new stimulus strategy
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:25:16 pm »
Trump gambles with new stimulus strategy
By Morgan Chalfant and Sylvan Lane - 10/07/20 03:31 PM EDT

President Trump is taking a huge political and economic risk by walking away from negotiations with Democrats on a coronavirus relief package just four weeks before the election.

Trump on Tuesday abruptly put a halt to talks between Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) until after Election Day, accusing the Democratic leader of not negotiating in “good faith” despite some signs of progress between top negotiators in recent weeks.

The president later relented somewhat, urging Congress to send him smaller standalone bills based on areas of broad agreement instead of a sweeping measure sought by Pelosi and Mnuchin.

Trump’s approach has frustrated Republicans and business groups and thrust the prospect of future assistance into further uncertainty. Additionally, many economists have warned of the negative impact of not sending out more aid.

“The economy as a whole is not making a lot of progress,” said Claudia Sahm, a former senior economist and research director at the Federal Reserve.

“There are real human costs — today and years from now — of not sending money out and turning it into a political battle.”

excerpt:
But Moore, the outside Trump adviser, argued that the president would divide Republicans and damage himself politically by agreeing to the $2.2 trillion figure put forth by Pelosi and the Democrats.

“Agreeing to the Pelosi deal would be politically harmful for Trump. Getting a good deal would be politically beneficial for Trump. And no deal falls somewhere in the middle,” Moore said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/520051-trump-gambles-with-new-stimulus-strategy

I think this is a fair representation of this situation...even for The Hill
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Victoria33

Re: Trump gambles with new stimulus strategy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »
@mystery-ak

It appears no one knew Trump was going to say this, no stimulus until after the election.
That is a month plus more weeks for the stimulus to get through congress, then the time to get the checks out.  Our fed money guy said the stimulus is needed for the economy; he wants it done last week, not over a month to two months.  He and Pelosi have been having meetings and they came to an agreement; were waiting to get back to negotiation with Trump and McConnell (sp).

The way Trump presented this was "vote for me and get great stimulus after the election", which also means, "don't vote for me and you get no guaranteed stimulus".

I was stunned he said this; I thought of those still without work, and many lost the breadwinner when the husband died.  Women with small children, no money.  Our Prissy groomer laid off; we gave her money.  We are okay, both in our 80s and have retirement money.  Doesn't help when Trump says no relief money and the stock market goes underwater.  So many need their jobs back and we can't save everyone.  I would if I had the means to do it.

One cannot believe what Trump says.  He says he will sign a bill giving people the $1,200, but before that said NO money until after the election.  Does he really mean it that he will sign such a bill?  He went from NO money to SOME money within hours.   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:09:45 pm by Victoria33 »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:51:38 am »
The democrat-communists were never going to make a reasonable deal with Mr. Trump or House Republicans before the election, anyway.

Tell them "no", and move on.

BassWrangler

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 07:03:12 am »
Stupid decision.

Offline dancer

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:10:14 am »
The democrat-communists were never going to make a reasonable deal with Mr. Trump or House Republicans before the election, anyway.

Tell them "no", and move on.
Exactly.  Pelosi and the Crats loaded their bill with bailout $$$ for the Dem run governors and states. 

What they did with the last stimulus $$$ was telling.  They used that money to bail out their pets.  Small businesses did not get the help they needed.  Newsom used the funds to support and bail out illegal aliens, not the taxpaying, job creating public. 

I agree with PDJT.  He will give the people a stimulus via EO, so they get the funds directly.  Poor Democrats.   8888crybaby  They'll have to learn to live within their means. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 08:35:35 am »
@mystery-ak

It appears no one knew Trump was going to say this, no stimulus until after the election.
That is a month plus more weeks for the stimulus to get through congress, then the time to get the checks out.  Our fed money guy said the stimulus is needed for the economy; he wants it done last week, not over a month to two months.  He and Pelosi have been having meetings and they came to an agreement; were waiting to get back to negotiation with Trump and McConnell (sp).

The way Trump presented this was "vote for me and get great stimulus after the election", which also means, "don't vote for me and you get no guaranteed stimulus".

I was stunned he said this; I thought of those still without work, and many lost the breadwinner when the husband died.  Women with small children, no money.  Our Prissy groomer laid off; we gave her money.  We are okay, both in our 80s and have retirement money.  Doesn't help when Trump says no relief money and the stock market goes underwater.  So many need their jobs back and we can't save everyone.  I would if I had the means to do it.

One cannot believe what Trump says.  He says he will sign a bill giving people the $1,200, but before that said NO money until after the election.  Does he really mean it that he will sign such a bill?  He went from NO money to SOME money within hours.   
Part of negotiation is the ability to walk away from a bad deal. He left the door open to more specific bills covering narrower areas, but not another Omnibus Bill that would likely shunt off significant funds to the Democrats for the election.  So, if Pelosi and the Dems in the House really want to help people, the door is open to that, just not tying in tons of Leftist wish-list items and holding the relief hostage to those being approved in some omnibus measure. .
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 03:46:06 pm »
Part of negotiation is the ability to walk away from a bad deal. He left the door open to more specific bills covering narrower areas, but not another Omnibus Bill that would likely shunt off significant funds to the Democrats for the election.  So, if Pelosi and the Dems in the House really want to help people, the door is open to that, just not tying in tons of Leftist wish-list items and holding the relief hostage to those being approved in some omnibus measure. .
I'm glad Trump did this, the democrats/Pelosi have become so used to republicans bending over or what ever the dems want to ram up their backsides because they are afraid the voters won't like them that it must have really shocked Pelosi when a Republican told her to go.............eat her icecream because he wasn't going to take her crap. And it was brilliant telling them to bring clean bills with no pork, bacon or baloney and he would sign them immediately, it highlights what Pelosi and the dems really think are important and it's not the American people.