Author Topic: Game 1 of NBA Finals sees lowest viewership in recorded ratings history  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Game 1 of NBA Finals sees lowest viewership in recorded ratings history
Yahoo Sports, Oct 1, 2020

A trend of low ratings throughout the NBA postseason has now reached the NBA Finals. And hit it hard.

Game 1 of the Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat brought in only 7.41 million viewers to ABC, according to The Hollywood Reporter. That is reportedly the lowest viewership seen for the Finals since at least 1994, when total viewers began to be regularly recorded.

The number is down 45 percent from last year’s Game 1 between the Golden State Warriors and Toronto Raptors, which had 13.51 million viewers. This is the fourth straight year Game 1 viewership has gone down compared to the previous season.

The previous low for the Finals was reportedly 8.06 million in Game 3 of the 2007 NBA Finals. That was the third game of a sweep by the San Antonio Spurs of the Cleveland Cavaliers, LeBron James’ first Finals appearance.

https://sports.yahoo.com/game-1-nba-finals-lakers-heat-ratings-low-abc-225636681.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Game 1 of NBA Finals sees lowest viewership in recorded ratings history
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 11:07:27 pm »
I would rather see a snail moving across my drive than watch anything connected to the NBA
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 12:02:41 am »
The NBA season started?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 06:35:10 pm »
I love the sweet smell of Schadenfreude in the morning.... :beer:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:39:57 am »
The NBA is shattering all sorts of records.

NBA Finals Game 2 Ratings Crash by 68%, Least Watched Finals Game in History

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2020/10/04/nba-finals-game-2-ratings-crash-68-least-watched-finals-game-history/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 01:30:45 am »
Ratings were falling even before the SJWs completely took over the NBA. Many games were becoming unwatchable as the three point shot became more and more popular. Some teams took as many as sixty three pointers a game. Games would feature teams running up and down the court barely getting past midcourt before a player would launch a three.
If he missed, the other team would run down the court and do the same. Little teamwork.
Now the SJWs have seized complete control and ruined everything.
They deserve their dismally low ratings.
Who would have thought one of the greatest players in league history, LeBron James, would be the evil architect who did the most to facilitate the destruction?
James, along with the commissioner, Adam Silver, are the two worst characters in NBA history.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 07:18:17 pm »
I didn't realize these were the finals. I just knew the Lakers were playing the Heat. So, yeah, pretty much don't care.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 07:20:27 pm »
I haven't watched one second of the playoffs.  Not even the virtue addled histrionics matter.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 07:37:42 pm »
Tweet War underway between Ted Cruz and Mark Cuban, over the demise of the NBA.

Go Ted Go!!!!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 07:57:47 pm »
   I don't even wear my Rockets hat anymore, I'm done. Because I'm so incredibly bored, I'm gonna background watch the Astros in about 30 minutes, in a Divisional playoff.
   Miss the Competition, since my ol Lady left, I guess.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 10:59:02 pm »
More fallout:
Jim Cramer Thinks ‘Getting Rid of ESPN’ Is Disney’s Plan
by Joe Kinsey
about an hour ago     
Outkick

CNBC’s Jim Cramer told TheStreet.com that Disney’s reorganization plan announced this week is writing on the wall for ESPN. “I think it’s really about getting rid of ESPN,” Cramer said of the plan to accelerate a direct-to-consumer strategy. The main focus for Disney going forward will be streaming, streaming and more streaming.

The focus to base the company squarely on streaming and Disney+ has terrestrial ESPN in a tough spot within a company that just announced it will shift away from traditional methods of content distribution.

“There is a belief we’re saturated in sports,” Cramer added. “That ESPN is no longer integral.”

“ESPN used to be this unbelievable thing, and now it’s just a really expensive thing they are having trouble monetizing. ESPN is no longer the precious place that it once was.” ...
Aw, that's a shame.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 12:47:54 am »
More fallout:Aw, that's a shame.

I'm all broke up about it.   Maybe they can go back and televise the Pro women's bowling championships. Those were fun.  My company sponsored those in 1980.  I was there in a nice Bowl-A-Rama place in Apollo Beach Fl. ESPN was there filming the event. My VP said: "Jim go on down there. We need a face representing our investment.  We are sending our Marketing VP down to help you out. It will be fun. Hell you might even get laid."

Have you ever seen a 1980 Pro women bowler?   Nice handsome people... but I was not .....into pegging.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:51:06 am by Wingnut »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 12:51:46 am »
I'm all broke up about it.   Maybe they can go back and televise the Pro women's bowling championships. Those were fun.

I miss watching the roller derby.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 12:54:53 am »

If I was gonna get "pile drived" I would go there.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 07:31:52 am »
That was fun....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis