State Chapters > California

California adds COVID-19 equity requirement. It could trip up counties' reopenings

(1/1)

Right_in_Virginia:
California adds COVID-19 equity requirement. It could trip up counties' reopenings
MSN, Oct 1, 2020, LA Times

California's larger counties will not be permitted to reopen their economies further unless they reduce coronavirus infections in the hardest hit places where the poor, Black people, Latinos and Pacific Islanders live.

Under a new state requirement for reopening during the pandemic, counties with more than 106,000 residents must bring infections down in these places and invest heavily there in testing, contact tracing, outreach and providing means for infected people to isolate. Los Angeles is one county sure to be affected, along with others in Southern California.

The measure is designed to ensure that test positivity rates in the most disadvantaged neighborhoods do not significantly exceed a county's overall rate, a disparity that has been widespread during the pandemic.

The new requirements, which take effect Oct. 6, may make it difficult for some counties to reopen as quickly and broadly as local leaders would like.

Black people, Latinos and Pacific Islanders have been disproportionately hurt by the pandemic. Many are essential workers, lack easy access to healthcare or live in crowded conditions. In San Francisco, at least half of all the the city's infections stem from the Mission District, which is heavily Latino.

“Our entire state has come together to redouble our efforts to reduce the devastating toll COVID-19 has had on our Latino, Black and Pacific Islander communities,” Acting State Public Health Officer Dr. Erica Pan said in a news release.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-adds-covid-19-equity-requirement-it-could-trip-up-counties-reopenings/ar-BB19Ch3P

PeteS in CA:
How, pray tell, does any county control any resident's social and business contacts?

How, pray tell, does any county control any resident's lifestyle choices or state of health?

How, pray tell, does any county control any resident's choice to seek or not seek medical care?

And before anyone goes there, I am NOT getting the governance I voted for. I have not been represented in Sacto for 25 and more years.

GtHawk:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on October 02, 2020, 02:30:05 pm ---How, pray tell, does any county control any resident's social and business contacts?

How, pray tell, does any county control any resident's lifestyle choices or state of health?

How, pray tell, does any county control any resident's choice to seek or not seek medical care?

And before anyone goes there, I am NOT getting the governance I voted for. I have not been represented in Sacto for 25 and more years.

--- End quote ---
Well here in Huntington Beach, CA my grandson is actually going to school two days a week and online the rest of the week(they split the kids into two groups alphabetically). I have seen stores remove their queuing recently and where they had one way isles in the stores they have removed the stickers. I think Noisome is in deep shiite with the unions as thousands of members are being kept off work because he refuses to set guidelines for reopening, especially the entertainment end like Disneyland, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, etc. Can you imagine how many pissed of kids gave their mommies migraines over not being able to go to a waterpark or public pool in this heat?

skeeter:
I just dont know how to respond to this garbage anymore without appearing to be calling for political violence.

truth_seeker:

Younger people
been brainwashed for too long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version