Author Topic: The City of Houston Commits to 100% Renewable Energy  (Read 517 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The City of Houston Commits to 100% Renewable Energy
« on: October 01, 2020, 12:17:08 am »
Announced during the height of Covid, am wondering if the Mayor's office has responded on why this will not result in rolling blackouts for Houston similar to the state of California that decided to embark on this same ridiculously stupid endeavor?

The City is Estimated to See a $9.3 Million Reduction in its Annual Electricity Bill and an Estimated Total Savings of $65 Million Over Seven Years

April 30, 2020 -- Mayor Sylvester Turner announced today that the City of Houston has committed to purchasing 100% renewable energy through a renewed partnership with NRG Energy as the City’s retail electric provider.

As part of the contract renewal, the City will power all municipal operations with renewable energy and realize $65 million in savings over the seven-year contract. Through the NRG Renewable Select plan, the City will receive 1,034,399 MWh of renewable electricity annually from a new, third-party utility-scale solar facility in Texas that is dedicated to City operations.

“This announcement is a shining example of how the Houston Climate Action Plan is already in motion. Expanding our renewable energy investment through our partnership with NRG helps us build a more sustainable city and save over $9 million per year on our electric bill. Together, we are leading by example and showing how to reduce emissions in the Energy Capital of the World,” said Mayor Sylvester Turner.

Today’s announcement is the City’s first step to implement the recently-released Houston Climate Action Plan, a science-based, community-driven strategy for Houston to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 and lead the global energy transition.

The plan identified growing Houston’s investment in renewable energy as a central goal of reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and called for the City to power municipal operations with 100% renewable energy by 2025. Houston is already the top municipal user of renewable energy in the country, according to the US EPA, and has a 50MW power purchase agreement for a solar facility in Alpine, TX.

https://www.houstontx.gov/mayor/press/2020/100-percent-renewable-energy.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

Re: The City of Houston Commits to 100% Renewable Energy
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 01:25:13 am »

As part of the contract renewal, the City will power all municipal operations with renewable energy and realize $65 million in savings over the seven-year contract.

OK, help me understand how switching to energy that costs more to produce than gas/coal will result in $65 million in savings.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 01:41:57 am »
Good luck with all that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 01:47:47 am »
OK, help me understand how switching to energy that costs more to produce than gas/coal will result in $65 million in savings.
Any 'savings' is likely not real, but the result of state and federal handouts for those cities brave enough to switch to renewables.  Some is likely collected by NRG and passed along to Houston as well.

It is FAKE savings.

Like my wife's shopping when she buys clothes with exorbitant price tags that are put on sale.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 01:58:27 am »
Mayor Pothole ain't real smart but he does know how to move copious quantities of public $$$ into the pockets of his friend and supporters.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 02:44:05 am »
Is that even possible?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 02:53:50 am »

That’s easy. All it takes is a government research grant and a room full of energy scientists from green peace, a high powered PR firm, a lot of expensive muti-platform advertising buys and a compliant media, and voila! Sixty five million in savings on paper!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 07:00:38 am »
Seems like the Cartels are shipping crack to Houston by the boatload...

Let's see... the Oilers left, went to Tennessee, now maybe some oil companies can relocate.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:29:56 am »
That’s easy. All it takes is a government research grant and a room full of energy scientists from green peace, a high powered PR firm, a lot of expensive muti-platform advertising buys and a compliant media, and voila! Sixty five million in savings on paper!

@aligncare

I know you are right,but I suspect you left out a couple of key ingredients,a couple of politicians with their hands out.

No big deal,though. After all,it's not like Houston has any connections to the oil industry,or that anyone who lives there would be put out of work,right?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:40:40 am »
I know Marxists hate profit, but they don't seem to realize that there are a number of places where the sun don't shine and the wind don't blow much. And even if they do, still don't at certain times of the year.

We're not talking about a money thing, we're talking about a no-juice-in-the-wires thing. Texas already had that issue a number of years back when the wind wasn't blowing one winter and usage was at peak demand.

Of course the lefties love that, because that means rationing and doling out power to him they see fit. Which means them and their fat cronies first, the rest of America last.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:41:33 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 09:45:39 am »
All the political factors are aligning for an energy Holdomor, thanks to the new Lysenkoism.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis