Author Topic: Don't say 'Happy Yom Kippur': How to greet someone observing the Jewish Day of Atonement  (Read 418 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
USA TODAY
Carly Mallenbaum
Sep 25 2020

Yom Kippur, which is observed from sundown Sunday to sundown Monday, is considered the holiest day of the year in Judaism. It’s a high holiday that follows Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

But it’s not exactly a “happy” holiday. So don’t tell someone “Happy Yom Kippur.”

“This isn’t a day of raucousness and partying,” says Becky Sobelman-Stern, the chief program officer at the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles. “Yom Kippur is not about being happy. It’s about thinking. It’s about self examination.”

Yom Kippur translates from Hebrew to English as Day of Atonement. Traditionally, Jews spend the holiday fasting and reflecting on sins committed over the past year.

(more)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2020/09/25/yom-kippur-what-say-someone-observing-jewish-high-holiday/3496158001/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:58:51 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Does "thinkin about, include doing?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The way I treat it, as I have a few Jewish friends (well, Jewish-Christian, but they acknowledge Jewish holidays) in addition to a few people on this board being Jewish, is to treat it with the same solemnity as Memorial Day or Good Friday.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Yom Kippur translates from Hebrew to English as Day of Atonement.
Traditionally, Jews spend the holiday fasting and reflecting on sins committed over the past year.

And reciting the Kol Nidre (All Vows) prayer.
You might want to look that up.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline dancer

Yes, it is a solemn day.  "Celebrating" is the exact opposite of Yom Kippur.