Author Topic: New Jersey passes ban on both plastic and paper single-use bags at large grocery stores  (Read 638 times)

Online mountaineer

New Jersey passes ban on both plastic and paper single-use bags at large grocery stores
    By Kim Jarrett | The Center Square
6 min ago

New Jersey lawmakers passed the strongest ban on single-use containers in the nation on Thursday.

The bill bans single-use plastic bags and single-use paper bags at grocery stores that are 2,500 square feet or larger. Polystyrene containers and plastic straws are also banned but consumers could ask for a plastic straw.

New Jersey is the first state in the country to ban single-use paper bags.

The ban takes effect in 18 months and imposes a $1,000 fine for a second offense and up to $5,000 in fines for third and subsequent violations.  ...   Full story

*****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Thanks @mountaineer

Didn’t know this. Nightly news is on in about an hour.

Someday I’ll be asking you all about other states to move to, I guess. Or I’ll find my own island somewhere
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline PeteS in CA

Are reusable bags banned/restricted currently due to Covid? Single-use plastics are banned here, but paper bags have a 10-cent per-bag charge. Then with the 'vid reusables could not be brought into stores at all for a while, and more recently they can be brought in but customers are the only ones allowed to pack them. It's moronic.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

I am alright with canvas totes. I use em already because they are better for packing.

But brown paper bags? Single use? Am I the only one here that saves brown paper?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I am alright with canvas totes. I use em already because they are better for packing.

But brown paper bags? Single use? Am I the only one here that saves brown paper?
A few years ago, I learned of a biodegradable "plastic" bag, made with soy I believe.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

We've saved and reused large paper bags for decades, as did my parents when I was growing up.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
My sister bought a box of 1,000 plastic bags at the local Costco.

Since the supermarkets here don't have plastic bags now, I bring one or two of my along when I go.
Works for me.

I wonder if the customers "bringing in their own bags" is going to result in arrests before too much longer?

Offline roamer_1

A few years ago, I learned of a biodegradable "plastic" bag, made with soy I believe.

I ball up them plastic ones into a loose knot and pitch them together in a kitchen garbage bag. One of these days it will get full enough to drop off to recycling... That's really not unreasonable to me, but then, I do not get them bags very often.

But brown paper is redneck gold. Right up there with duct tape, bushel baskets, and gunny sacks. I prefer Rosaurs when I go to town, partly because they have great brown bags (with handles).

Bust it open on the counter to clean and salt a chicken. Anything you haul over to someone else's house (like a dinner caring for someone that's sick or hurt), it's bound to be delivered in a brown paper bag... and on it goes.

Offline roamer_1

We've saved and reused large paper bags for decades, as did my parents when I was growing up.

YEP. Every one of my school books wound up in a brown paper cover... I have freezer wrapped in brown paper painted in wax... Painting a room? cover close to the wall with brown paper and throw a tarp over the rest... Their uses are infinite.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That's too rough on the bottom.

I prefer a roll instead.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

That's too rough on the bottom.

I prefer a roll instead.

You've gone too far from the corn crib.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Little in our house is single use. Bags, usually plastic from the grocery store are used for everything from simply hauling stuff around, to small waste basket liners, to policing up dog poop.

Don't often see the paper bags here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Little in our house is single use. Bags, usually plastic from the grocery store are used for everything from simply hauling stuff around, to small waste basket liners, to policing up dog poop.

Don't often see the paper bags here.

I get brown paper bags for frozen stuff, because it keeps it better in the pickup getting em home. The plastic I have little use for, other than lining the bathroom garbage can, which hardly ever happens. Too flimsy for most things. Like I said, the canvas totes are what I mainly do, so I hardly get them plastic bags at all.

As for dog poop, Chewy poop is light enough that the grass actually lifts it up as it grows... right into the gaping maw of the garden tractor, where it is disintegrated... It's a feature.  :laugh:

It's the one type of poop I don't generally have to manage.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I get brown paper bags for frozen stuff, because it keeps it better in the pickup getting em home. The plastic I have little use for, other than lining the bathroom garbage can, which hardly ever happens. Too flimsy for most things. Like I said, the canvas totes are what I mainly do, so I hardly get them plastic bags at all.

As for dog poop, Chewy poop is light enough that the grass actually lifts it up as it grows... right into the gaping maw of the garden tractor, where it is disintegrated... It's a feature.  :laugh:

It's the one type of poop I don't generally have to manage.
It's one thing to ride over it, another with a walk-behind mower....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

A potential problem with those reusable cloth bags is that shoppers might buy meat and, without being aware of it, the meat juices seep out into the cloth and, ultimately, onto other food products. Bacteria run amok, and then you have a food safety problem. That's why most grocery store baggers will put your package of chuck roast or chicken in a separate plastic bag. At least, in places not NJ.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
A potential problem with those reusable cloth bags is that shoppers might buy meat and, without being aware of it, the meat juices seep out into the cloth and, ultimately, onto other food products. Bacteria run amok, and then you have a food safety problem. That's why most grocery store baggers will put your package of chuck roast or chicken in a separate plastic bag. At least, in places not NJ.

No they put meat separate from groceries. And the eggs go in a separate bag Incase they break too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline The_Reader_David

So, in the middle of a pandemic, they are requiring reusable bags, which can harbor pathogens between uses.  Places on the Left coast that had banned single-use plastic bags years ago started allowing them again as an anti-COVID-19 measure.  Just how stupid are New Jersey legislators?
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I ball up them plastic ones into a loose knot and pitch them together in a kitchen garbage bag. One of these days it will get full enough to drop off to recycling... That's really not unreasonable to me, but then, I do not get them bags very often.

@roamer_1

I like to save and use them for packing when I sell stuff on ebay.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
David wonders:
"Just how stupid are New Jersey legislators?"

Most of them are democrat-communists.
Does that answer your question...?

Offline The_Reader_David

David wonders:
"Just how stupid are New Jersey legislators?"

Most of them are democrat-communists.
Does that answer your question...?

No.  The folks on the Left Coast who lifted the bans on single-use plastic bags in the face of the pandemic are democrat-communists, too.
The NJ legislature must have an unusually stupid contingent of democrat-communists.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline roamer_1

A potential problem with those reusable cloth bags is that shoppers might buy meat and, without being aware of it, the meat juices seep out into the cloth and, ultimately, onto other food products. Bacteria run amok, and then you have a food safety problem.

I don't know how it's possible, all those hundreds of years of folks carrying their possibles in a poke sack.